Coral Vue Hydros

Virginia and Maryland

AReeferIsExpensive

EtOH_is_good

now that is some good info reefer. please don't take all the good stuff. must wait as i just got rock today. woot!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USaquarium

they have some live rock. Not a ton in the store. They keep most of it in a warehouse ,it's labled 4.50 a lbs. I have not bought any from them so i can not tell you if it is good or not. They still don't have their coral tan set up. They are talking about having a 300 gallon tank filled with corals and such.

EtOH_is_good

just back from Roozens. when if first got there they had nothing worth while in their live rock containers, actually very nasty looking. then one of the guys started unpacking the rock from the boxes on the side. obviously uncured stuff, but I got the pieces to fill in the holes in my tank. hopefully i won't have any bad hitchhikers.

reefer, i didn't see where that unlit tank was. where was it exactly?

killrblue

Went there yesterday just to look at the place. Very small, fish prices are a little cheaper and very knowledgable. At least this place has prices up front rather than guessing them at Roozens. Thier major business is thier service of installing, fabrication of aquariums in businesses and in residences, and care. They have tonga branch right now for 4.50 and they also sell RO/DI at 75cents a gal. Did not see thier storage capacity of RO/DI like MarineScene...it might be in the back?

Just a little update fo ya

Was in USaquariums yesterday. They have sold the custom 300 gallon tank and are in the process of building racks for the new tanks on the other side of the wall. I guess that side will be all corals. they had plenty of fish in yesterday. All looked healty and reasonable prices. Anderson is a great guy, i enjoy talking with him.

AReeferIsExpensive

great to hear!!!

~~~~>::::::W-A-R-N-I-N-G:::::::<~~~~

Tropical Lagoon has an acoel flatworm problem in their front main tank. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from this tank.

SuperPez? or should I say superjoke?

Not a good place to buy marine stuff. What they have is mostly FW stuff and eqiupment. Those kids are rude and clueless. Just forget about them.

Ive been there, bought my 90 gal. there. They have some marine stuff like Fiji live rock. They have good variety of livestock. The kids they have working there can be rude, you just have to talk to the right people. Kenny is son of the owner and I deal with him whenever possible.

Have you tried Wally's? It is just about a mile down 236 towards alexandria.

AReeferIsExpensive

Go to exotic aquatics this week! they just got some NICE clams...and just fragged a million and one SPSs~

EtOH_is_good

don't you think those frag prices were steep. i'm hoping that i could trade with you all before i pay that much for stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
quandary_23

I agree with SeaSide on this, superpets is a class A joke. They are overpriced on almost everything there practically double what I have found on petsolutions and to top it off they are IDIOTS! Their tanks team with death including three queen nudi(s) the last time I went in on the way to Wallys(best tank deals anywhere), the sw tanks are over grown with red/green slime algae and dead fish. My suggestion to them is to give up on saltwater and stick to fw.

That and they don't back up anything, I spent 400 a couple of months ago there bc they had a sale on a tank I wanted, the heater I got broke, stupid visi them, anyways I paid 33 for it there when I could of got it for 15 online, plus they said my fish where responsible I am sorry put tiger barbs and plecos and two 5" cichlids can't do that the thing was only in there 1 month, and is not from water changes bc I don't do them.

Another more recent story, a coworker went there against my advice not to. He bought a 220 gallon tank hood and canopy. First they delivered the wrong brand name stand which would of voided the 5 yr warranty on it (directly from their website) and the canopy didn't fit. He paid for delivery but they wouldn't redeliver the right items for free they wanted another 60 bucks plus they only sent one guy for the intial delivery. Superpets is and will always be a joke! I can't believe they are still in buisness with their poor facilities.

I am totally in agreement with you. Super pets is a POS. I have been shopping there and have bought tanks and supplies there, but no more. They are even rude to their steady clientele. The little punks who work there are rude to everyone. Their items, other than tanks, are extremely overpriced. The salt water department is a total mess. No longer shopping there. Wally's is great, but again highly inflated dry goods prices. Tank prices are good. I bought my rock from him, but man their frag prices are ridiculous. makes me want to open up my own shop.........

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have read some post talking about the reef store in Burke. I have just moved to burke in the last couple of months and have been there several times. I was happy with the service for all those times until this weekend. I guess I have never dealt with the owner. Well I talked with him this Saturday and thought I would share my experience with all you guys.

I forget the names of the guys but I have always dealt with one guy (lets call him John) who has been super nice and always willing to spend time with me about different corals and fish. He is not the owner but has always been there when I go. So I have an over run with my red mushrooms and I asked him if they took trade-ins. John said yes, just bring them in and the owner (lets call him Richard) would look and give me store credit. So I was thinking, great I can trade in and get some nice stuff. So I finally did that this weekend. Brought in 2 pieces. one smaller piece of rock with about 6-9 shrooms on it and one bigger rock with over 30 shrooms. Very full piece, nice and big. So I bring it up the counter where Richard always seems to be. I said I have some nice red mushrooms I would like to see what you can give me for them. He looks at them and says I can give you 15 for the small and 20 for the big. I was happy with the small but surprised with the big. So I look at him and say, is that all you can do on the big one. Whooooo, must have caught him on a bad day. He say to me with a nasty tone, we normally don't do trade-ins. So I told him that John told me to just bring it in and that you would give me trade-in value. Then he says, if we do we have you take a photo of the coral and email it to us. then we decide what we can give for it so you are not disappointed when you find out what we can give for it. So I told him I would think about it.

So I went and talked with the John, super nice guy, he remembers me and asks about my tanks and stuff. He even asked how my shrooms were doing. I told him I brought some in and he says great, is Richard going to give you something for them. I said not really. Anyway I pick out some corals cause they were having 30% off all corals. I go back to the counter and put the bucket back on the counter and told him he could have the small one and I would keep the big one. Well John comes over with my corals and looks in the bucket and says you not taken them to Richard, he said only the smaller one. John says to Richard you don't want the big one? He says it's a money thing. Then looks at me and says I am only giving you what I pay for in wholesale. I looked at him and smirked. Anyway they took the small one out and put it in the 29.99 tank.

Anyway I was not please with his attitude and don't really want to support him anymore. Just thought everyone would enjoy my story. I like the nice zoos I get from them but didn't like him that day.

Off to ultimate Saltwater on Tuesday. I think they have their corals setup!!

quandary_23

You can try marine scene if you like for your trade ins, just call before you go to see if they need that particular coral in. I don't know though about 20 for the big one, if you don't need it then just get rid of it. It should be worth about 25 IMO maybe 30 if they are all decent size. Like I said call the marine scene up and tell them what you got they have always been fair to me.

Speaking of the reeftank, I sure wish they would monitor and update their webpage on a regular basis.

I was more disappointed with his attitude than anything. I don't know, maybe he has allot of people come in with trade-ins and gets tired of it. If that is the case he or his employees should know that also and not tell me to just bring it in.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Roozens the other day. It has been a long time since the last time I was there. What do you guys think about those two indoor SW ponds.

I thought the idea was really cool.

I am thinking about doing something like that in my basement.

I aggree with you guy's about super pets. They suck you know what!! They do have good tank prices though. all the stores around here are expensive. MS is a nice store but costly. Have to take a second morgage to shop there. I like HOT they have nice fish. I heard that AC got new management and that is why they are hit but mostly miss now a days. They used to be my favorite store not any more. goog luck to all.

Brian

quandary_23

I like the saltwater ponds, but I have to wonder who is buying all these leoperd sharks they are getting in??? They have to be going somewhere around this area.

Yeah they do have good tank prices most of the time, I bought one there. I also like Wallys a little bit down from superpets heading east on 236, his coral prices are high but he has good deals on large tanks and carries a good variety. Last time I was there he was renevating the store putting in a series of wall aquariums. Does anyone know if he is done yet?

Archived