Cultivated Reef

Virginia and Maryland

AReeferIsExpensive

AReeferIsExpensive

I was at Roozens today and the manager was talking to the other guy that works there. I was standing on the other side of the tanks being nosey and i overheard him talking about a place that is giving prices that beats theirs by 10-20$ and it was "killing" their business. I wonder where they were talking about? It must be just recent b/c it seems to be a current issue that just came up. Any ideas where they could be talking about? probably some place around baltimore? i want to check it out~!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm, a NEW LFS!!:o Wooha...that'd be awesome!!!

...was planning on going to Marine Scene sunday afternoon...will be going to both now. maybe I can get more 'outta Roozens... my turn to spy:P

AReeferIsExpensive

i like roozens so much better than marine scene...but if there is another place with better deals like they were talking about, ill be glad to start going there~! ill try and find out..i tried to be sneaky and ask them "what else is around here" but they just told me marine scene. I know they arent going to give it away so im going on a LFS hunt this weekend!

went to roozens over the weekend, no spy news:( nothing, and i was hinting to the guy but he said he didnt know of any other aquarium shops in the DC area...... LIAR!!:P LOL...I guess I'm a bad spy...

soooo....the hunt is on...ISO the new DC LFS...if it does exist! :P

HEHEHEEEEEEEEEEE....I think I found it!! :) Not exactly in the DC area but close....regardless tho...NEW AWESOME REEF STORE FOUND!!! Not only are the prices gonna be good, but the livestock is supposed to be the BEST:P!

Lemme check in to it some and see...:o OPENING SOON! :D

Dr. Mac's retail store is opening eventually, I believe it is in Salisbury. I am sure it is on MD's eastern shore though. A good stop on the way back from the Ocean.

I also heard about something in Owings Mills (Baltimore County).

I can't remember where I heard or read the info.

Originally posted by DAP

Dr. Mac's retail store is opening eventually, I believe it is in Salisbury.  I am sure it is on MD's eastern shore though.  A good stop on the way back from the Ocean...

YUP, YIPPEE!!:D GOD THANK YOU!!! They will have the BEST LIVEROCK AVAILABLE!

red star:

That's good news. I got my LR from him. I wish I could drive up to there if its in 30 mile range. But 130 miles? Darn. I can't call it LFS. And all of us know how bad beltway can get here in DC area. :P

I heard that sometimes Dr. Mac will meet you at BWI airport, or other places on the eastern shore. Apparently he picks up his livestock at BWI.

I called him once, a while back, to see if I could meet him at BWI to pick up an order I had planned to place. He said "Sure, Friday night at 9:00 pm". Unfortunately my plans to order fell thru.

I am not sure if he does this all the time either.

EtOH_is_good

hmm, that looks a little far compared to BWI. However, if it's the best then I'm very happy that is opening soon. Plus get to pick your own goodies. :P Will end up paying taxes on everything, but no shipping charge.

The place in Owings Mills might be the aquarium center. It's in randallstown, but close enough. Their selection is rediculous but last time i was in there I wasn't all that impressed with the appearance of their corals. I think they are cheaper though then a lot of LFS's in the area.

But yeah, Dr Mac "rocks"(pun intended). I'll be making a LR order tomorrow or next for my new tank.

HA! You know me, anything to get the family to a fish store lol. My daughter is three and loves them. At least she is on my side when it comes to the tanks. She has talked her mommy into letting me get a bigger tank. :)

• 2 weeks later...
EtOH_is_good

I was at Exotic Aquatics on Sat (04/03). There was a posting for the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society meeting for 04/04. Mike Paletta and Eric Borneman were going to be the featured speakers. Does anybody belong to CMAS? Will anyone go to the meeting?

i just joined WAMAS...is that the same thing? whats the diffs? looking forward to field trips to the aquariums...never seen the back sides but thats where it all happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by AReeferIsExpensive

I was at Roozens today and the manager was talking to the other guy that works there.  I was standing on the other side of the tanks being nosey and i overheard him talking about a place that is giving prices that beats theirs by 10-20$ and it was "killing" their business.  I wonder where they were talking about? It must be just recent b/c it seems to be a current issue that just came up.  Any ideas where they could be talking about? probably some place around baltimore?  i want to check it out~!

WAIT. HOLD THE PHONES! There is even ANOTHER new LFS here in the DC area...not talking about Dr. Macs which is scheduled to open later on this summer. This place is about 10 mins outside of the capital beltway.

more details to come!!:P

Doh... and my wife and I spent LAST weekend driving around to the various stores. :)

Guess I had better tell her to get ready for another trip. :P

I'm working on doing the research to start my first reef aquarium and fell in love with nano-reefs. I know about the store in Randallstown (I purchase stuff for my freshwater tank there), but did not know about the rest of these stores. Thank you for the good information.

Christina

Christina,

After doing the rounds of stores for the past 2 weeks, I can say that Aquarium Center does have very good prices on alot of their 'Drygoods'. The wife had to stop me from pounding my head after I saw a few prices on things we had bought elsewhere. :blush: For livestock, they can be hit or miss, for instance today, they looked pretty good, but 2 weeks ago, really bad. Normally, Exotic Aquatics stuff is really nice, but their drygoods are hit or miss. :) But they are a smaller store sizewise, so that may be it.

Good luck on your tank!

Michael & Jen

Michael,

Thank you. I'm still doing some research and price comparisons, but I'm hoping within the next month or so to get started. My husband wants a new couch first. I figured if that is all it takes to make him happy before I get a new tank, I'm doing pretty good.

Archived