Top Shelf Aquatics

Virginia and Maryland

AReeferIsExpensive

I lucked out (or did I after looking at bank account), my wife is into Aquarium stuff too. We have been doing alot of our travelling around looking for stuff for her 10g nano. That was what the banging of the head was for, AC had a few prices that were atleast $10 or more less for a few of the items (like salt, heaters, filters, etc...).

Of course my wife is talking new sofa too, I just need to start whispering in her ear at night:

Big Tank, Big Tank.....

:)

Michael

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael,

Too funny. You can do like I did with my freshwater tank. I started with a 10 gallon, but was never satisfied with it. I went to AC one day when my husband was at work, and came home with a 72 gallon bowfront. Now he is teasing me asking if I'm going to be satisfied with a nano reef, or am I going to do the same thing with that. I told him I probably would, but not right away... :-)

Actually, I have her blessing on a large tank. Just trying to look around and find what I think is a deal. :) Been nosing around the classifieds on several of the websits, but it seems like if the seller is too far, they have a great deal. In our area they want $1000 for a 10 gallon tank. :P

I figure eventually someone in our area will mess up and I can get a good deal. :)

Michael

I'm not sure if you guys solved the LFS riddle, but here is a store that I like to visit on occasions. Haven't gotten anything from there yet, but it doesn't look so bad. Prices are half-way decent. Here is the address of the place.

HOUSE OF TROPICALS INC AQUARIUM SUPPLIES

7389 BALTIMORE ANNAPOLIS BLVD STE F, GLEN BURNIE, MD 21061

Phone: (410) 761-1113

Anyone been there or know if this is the Roozens, competitior? I haven't been to roozens yet, but it is at the top of my to visit list!

I wouldn't think this is the Roozens competitor, as they have been in the area for a LONG time. In fact I can just barely remember getting guppies from them when I was a small child.

I would say they are mid-level on prices, AC is still one of the cheaper area stores if you are looking for dry goods.

I am wondering if the Roozens competitor is the Fins & Feather store that has opened in Ashburn, VA? A couple of people from WAMAS have gone over there, said it was definitley in the just opening stages.

Michael

I've not been to Roozens, but I can't compare, but House of Tropicals has been around for as long as I can remember. It takes me all of 10 minutes or so to get there so they are definately my closest LFS. I was there this past weekend and noticed that they have remodeled and things are not as croweded as they used to be. I think they have several new tanks as well.

Hey Guys, have you checked out the Ultimate Saltwater Aquarium off rt 210? http://www.usaquariums.net/

Off 495 by WW bridge. I think 210 is exit 1 or 2.

I saw him on my way home one day. I have been stopping by there once a week now. He has beautiful fish there. Very small shop but he is working on taking over the shop next to his. His web site is not that great, gets a little confusing to use. I call him when I need something and he orders it. If you do call ask for Anderson, he is the man. Takes care of me. Tell him Bob refer you. Like I said I just came across him about 3 weeks ago and he just had a grand opening a few weeks back.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by luceneck

I'm not sure if you guys solved the LFS riddle, but here is a store that I like to visit on occasions.  Haven't gotten anything from there yet, but it doesn't look so bad.  Prices are half-way decent.  Here is the address of the place.

HOUSE OF TROPICALS INC AQUARIUM SUPPLIES  

7389 BALTIMORE ANNAPOLIS BLVD STE F, GLEN BURNIE, MD 21061  

Phone: (410) 761-1113  

Anyone been there or know if this is the Roozens, competitior? I haven't been to roozens yet, but it is at the top of my to visit list!

I have not been to Roozens but House of Tropicals, I would not purchase livestock there. JMHO

Michael Means

Ultimate Saltwater Aquariums

http://www.usaquariums.net/

11101-B2 Indian Head Highway

Fort Washington, Maryland.

301-292-8351

BINGO!! THATS IT!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!! Good goin, rocko918!:)

Hey guys, sorry to keep ya'll squirming but I haven't been online much lately...plus, the store is just now opening.

Take Indian Head Hwy off the beltway and look on your right near the Winegardner Chevy car dealership...about 5 miles down. BTW, if you know the area, Roozens is only a few minutes away. I am editing the LFS directory shown here.

Thanks for creating that list!! It will soon be printed out.

Sorry for the "house of tropicals" comment. I'm new to reef keeping and I just thought it was a half way decent place. Guess I know now. Crossed off my livestock supply store.

AReeferIsExpensive

YES!!! anyone been there yet?

it sounds...ULTIMATE~

supposidly they are killing roozens business. I have been taking a break with buying, but last time i went there he asked me where i had been for the past couple weeks(assuming he was afraid he had lost my business as well)

I CANT WAIT~~~~

I Have been there many times. The shop is small but he has great quality fish. He is working on setting up a huge 300 gallon reef tank. I am going to stop by today and will give an update on that. I know he has Fiji rock for 4.50 lbs. I was shocked when I saw that. So his prices are good. Anyway, if there is something you want me to check on, like a price on something let me know I will post it later tonight.

If you do go look for Anderson. He is a good man. He won't be hard to find. He is always there.

AReeferIsExpensive

Sounds good. I think quality comes over quantity anyhowwhen it comes to nanos~ We dont need a lot, just good stuff! I need rock for my fuge so ill check it out. Ive noticed that its nearly impossible to find nice zoos around maryland and virginia. at least, ive had 0 luck. Even roozens. Everything they have is NICE, but their zoos are brownish or plain yellows ir boring greens. Ive never seen purples or pinks, definitely not blues, or any bright ones in person, just internet pics..... Why dont LFSs carry nice zoos? :*( Id be a zooaholic~

yeah, Ive been there too.... and the place is kinda small but their stuff looks high quality. hey rocko918, are they planning to set up that 300g cherry tank by the door?? i thought it was for sale...

For those that like to make a trip there, take rt.210 Indian Head Hwy south which is the first exit coming over the wilson bridge from va or the last exit before the bridge if coming the other way:P. go down about 5 minutes and take a right on ft washington then make an immediate left onto the service road. you will see a long and foster realtor building on the corner as you turn. keep going down past the chevy dealership and they are in the brick building...you cant miss them. 4-8pm during the weeks 9-9 on sat.:)

and again, roozens is only 10 mins away from there for those who shop all weekend...areefer:P

AReeferIsExpensive

im going tomorrow :)

BTW to save your guys trouble heres a warning-

NOONE GET LIVE ROCK FROM EXOTIC AQUATICS

unless you want a LRWC tank only.

That is what happens

~~~~~> http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...t=caught+little

i got it from the largest tub of LR that they had. They breed like crazy so if you want to keep fish, i highly reccomend NOT going to EA to get LR. check out Roozens or someplace else for it instead

Been USaquarium today.

The place is way too small. Not much stuffs. MOst of their stuffs are in their storage. No corals of as yet. Not much fish, but Most of their fish look healthy and prices are OK.

Seems to me the guy knows what he is talking about. He told me he will have more tanks with coral in the store and it will be done about mid May.

AReeferIsExpensive

alex, i havent, but i can tell you that yesterday at roozens i saw a couple piles of unopened boxes labled "tonga rock ###lbs"...so if anyone needs LR id go grab it!

they were also in the middle of acclimating some RARE shrooms, NICE rics, and a bunch of sexies....

I have been to Roozens and it was impressive but I didn't like the wya the corals are just shoved into the tanks and none of the stuf had prices on them. THey were putting away a shipment so it was hard to get anyone to give you a price. I felt I needed to decide on one or two pieces I was really interested in and then ask. My lfs is House of Tropicals which has been buisiness for 37 years and I usually get good service there. Their corals are reasonably priced compared to the other stored in my immediate area but some of their nano reef fish are priced too high. They will give you a deal if you are going to make a large purchase, just ask for Mike or Mark (the owners).

I have been to Roozens and it was impressive but I didn't like the way the corals are just shoved into the tanks and none of the stuff had prices on them. They were putting away a shipment so it was hard to get anyone to give you a price. I felt I needed to decide on one or two pieces I was really interested in and then ask. My lfs is House of Tropicals which has been buisiness for 37 years and I usually get good service there. Their corals are reasonably priced compared to the other stored in my immediate area but some of their nano reef fish are priced too high. They will give you a deal if you are going to make a large purchase, just ask for Mike or Mark (the owners).

Sorry for the double post, I was trying to correct my typing errors. What type of rics were they unpacking, I was hoping to find some of the purple ones from Tonga. I am also interested in unique shroom. Do you have any more detail.

AReeferIsExpensive

they had neon green, orange, and pink...they also had these crazy multicolor shrooms with goldish rings around them....

yea, they have too many things to actually place things neatly and write prices. The trick is that you have to tell the guy b4 you start asking the prices that you are on a budget and you can only afford cheaper things. When i did that, i asked about a frag and it was 28$ and then i heard someone else ask and it was 38$ to them! worth a shot huh? Also, i like roozens b/c if you look on the last row of tanks that doesnt have lighting, you can get some goodies! b/c there is no lighting, people walk past some nice colored zoos/shrooms..etc and dont get them....

then i come around and buy them and when i place them under my lighting they are beautiful! I bought what looked like brown zoos, and under my lighting they were yellow...after 2 weeks in my tank they were neon yellow. nice stuff~

Ill def check out HOTs deals and ask for an owner!

Archived