Pod Your Reef

Kylebeano's 4g Finnex Mixed Reef

Kylebeano

Here's a crappy .gif of the lemonade:

lemonade.gif

And a FTS from today:

009-10.jpg

The tank has this nasty brown gel/slime in some places. Most worrisome is where it grows right along where the new growth of my corals should be. It appears to be pissing off some things. I havnt had it in any of my other tanks, and I siphon it out as best I can during the water changes (which are pretty frequent). Not sure what this stuff is, im going to PM JohnMalony to see if he might have an answer.

Here are some photos of some of this stuff:

001-17.jpg

002-18.jpg

003-15.jpg

004-13.jpg

and here it is on the dead part of my sunset monti:

006-13.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its bacteria. I have seen it related to elevated detritus and waste breakdown. You have a pretty deep sand bed. I'd bet its housing a lot of waste and its holding capacity might have been reached. If this is the case, leaching could be occuring even if your water parameters are appearing "good".

Growth can also be elevated by airborne chemicals similar to whats found in air fresheners.......

Check this out...

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/my...-slime-part-iii

Its bacteria. I have seen it related to elevated detritus and waste breakdown. You have a pretty deep sand bed. I'd bet its housing a lot of waste and its holding capacity might have been reached. If this is the case, leaching could be occuring even if your water parameters are appearing "good".

Growth can also be elevated by airborne chemicals similar to whats found in air fresheners.......

Check this out...

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/my...-slime-part-iii

Wow! Thank you for the confirmation, great link! I have been thinking it is caused by a bacteria, and makes some sense now. We live in a small 1 bedroom apartemnt, and have had the carpets cleaned 3 times since the previous renter was a smoker and had a large dirty dog. The tank wasnt set up until a couple months after we had the carpet cleaned and moved in though, but we do use a "scented" foam filter in our vaccum that could be aiding in this stuff's growth. Im not sure what we can do now to get rid of the VOCs, but ill try opening up the apartment more often, and replacing the vaccum filter.

I really appreciate the help and advice Harpo! I might try Dr. Tim's products after doing some changes and possibly H2O2 attempt.

Keep us posted!

Its amazing how the airborne stuff can affect a tank. Especially the scented stuff (air frehener, ammonia (cat box, etc), bleach, etc.)

I wonder if you could weigh down any airborne compounds with a humidifier, then maybe vacuum and wipe heavily. I imagine an airfilter would help as well. In the tank filter floss and maybe even carbon.....

Keep us posted!

Its amazing how the airborne stuff can affect a tank. Especially the scented stuff (air frehener, ammonia (cat box, etc), bleach, etc.)

I wonder if you could weigh down any airborne compounds with a humidifier, then maybe vacuum and wipe heavily. I imagine an airfilter would help as well. In the tank filter floss and maybe even carbon.....

Thanks for all the tips, youre a great help!

I took an H2O2 soaked q-tip, and wiped a couple places in the tank with it. Then a water change. Ill do this for a few days and see how things respond.

I have chemipure elite and chaeto in the AC70, with filter floss packing the overflow box around the intake tube. I change the floss with each water change, and do a 1g water change every other day if not more now.

It's already pretty humid in florida, so I will try opening up more often. Maybe ill make a template and have a local glass shop make me a lid for the tank too?

And on another note, I bought another fish today. Hopefully it wont end up through the filter, or get an infection like my last fish attempts. I've always liked having wrasses, as they are very good with pest control and it's already been picking at the sand and rocks. Maybe it'll go after some of the damn vermatid snails.

I also purchased a different BN to take place of the sour apple as it's colors are less than desirable, and the new one is... well you'll see.

Wrasse:

002-19.jpg

008-12.jpg

006-14.jpg

Coral:

009-11.jpg

011-9.jpg

004-14.jpg

Got a pic of the wrasse out in the open, it hasnt left the overflow corner much yet, so I was surprised. Since adding the light for the AC70's chaeto, I had foil guarding the filter so light wouldnt spill into the tank (reverse light cycle) and it looked aweful through the tank having that dumb shining metal there.So, ive added a background to the tank now.

018-5.jpg

021-5.jpg

015-7.jpg

I cant wait for this nana to grow out, I love the purple in this coral and the green polyps are getting brighter!

014-10.jpg

Also looking forward to this birdsnest, its so fluffy!

004-15.jpg

Raptors rainbows are also finally getting some color to them

022-7.jpg

And I thought this was a funny presentation of the denro. Still no babies though >:\

005-15.jpg

Nice! I've been contemplating one of his pygmy wrasses he keeps getting in! My dendro has yet to show signs of putting out some babies as well, but it does eat great and look great!

Awesome new pieces! The new BN looks a ton better, loving the progress

Nice! I've been contemplating one of his pygmy wrasses he keeps getting in! My dendro has yet to show signs of putting out some babies as well, but it does eat great and look great!

Awesome new pieces! The new BN looks a ton better, loving the progress

Thanks a lot! Whenever I think I wont put anything else in there, I see something the tank cant possibly live without.

You should! I'm almost positive mine is a Tanaka's, and he sold it to me for $35! Which is a lot less than what divers den has been selling them for. They're awesome fish, wrasse in general are great for pests and such.

• 2 weeks later...
bad ass pico! howw did you make that top video/pic of the acro? thats sick! nice selection of corals !

Thanks man, wish I could have the livestock you do (clowns/high fins/pandas), so I try to make up in corals. I cant wait until im done with undergrad so I can upgrade and have more room, small tanks fill up fast.

I just took a lot of pictures trying to keep my hand steady against the glass, then made them into a .gif using a free online gif maker (i dont have photoshop, so honestly the easiest way is with a myspace .gif creator).

Awesome! Ver nive tank with all the best and most colorful corals.

Is the light a 20k?

Thanks a lot, when real estate is so limited I try to only put in corals that have wow factor. The lights are boostLED 4 color par30s (2rb, 1b, 1ww, 1cw) and I would agree its a blueish 20k look. Very hard to get decent pictures of real color.

sweet looking tank! liking the scape.

is that the officemax light fixture? thinking of also buying a par30 or a par38 and just looking for different mounting options.

sweet looking tank! liking the scape.

is that the officemax light fixture? thinking of also buying a par30 or a par38 and just looking for different mounting options.

Thanks, two rocks makes a simple scape lol.

And yes I am using two fixtures from staples ($20 a piece), although office max probably has the same one. They clamp firmly to the counter and are just enough to hold the par30s. I am satisfied with them. Im not sure how well they would hold up to the weight of a par38 though as Ive never owned one. But, from the pics they seem much bulkier.

Soooo, I bought a few new SPS locally (from DogBogDave)... A beauty Tenius, ORA Red Planet, and ORA German Blue Polyp Acro. Got them dirt cheap, so naturally Dave gives me a PURPLE MONSTER frag for free. I've moved some things around to make room for the additions. But unfourtunatley didn't get the frags in the tank until lights out time, but I can't wait to snap some photos of these and start seeing some growth. I think I may have to at least start testing AlK lol

Archived