inTank Media Baskets

Kylebeano's 4g Finnex Mixed Reef

Kylebeano

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From looking at the color of the BN you might need to move the light higher up, it looks like it's bleaching; could just be the photos? Or it just needs more light, idk.

You have some awesome stuff in this tank. I love the acans and the zoas and palys. Where do you get all of your acans?

Thanks a lot! The acans were a pack I picked out through Unique Corals. Their website is currently down though.

Awesome as usual!

Love the Acans

:D

Thank you friar, theyre really starting to grow!

From looking at the color of the BN you might need to move the light higher up, it looks like it's bleaching; could just be the photos? Or it just needs more light, idk.

It's a little of both, the ponape has been difficult to get a good photo of since day one, but has actually lost a lot of its original color. It still has an iridescence to it, and pink tips when the light is off, plus good PE. It has been this way for many months. I just think it doesnt like the LEDs too much. Im going to try and get another bulb over it for more light, but if it doesnt color up after that I may end up replacing it. Its definately alive, and well, just not colored. It could need more, or less light, idk either lol. Thanks for the tips though!

Great looking tank! I like the variety of corals.

What type of acros are in the pics?

also, how high over the tank is the par 30?

Thank you,

Kevin

Great looking tank! I like the variety of corals.

What type of acros are in the pics?

also, how high over the tank is the par 30?

Thank you,

Kevin

Thank you, I personally think its awesome having a mixed reef in a 4g. The par30 is 5 inches from the water, its where I find I can get the best intensity and coverage for the tank's needs. What it really needs is another one though.

For SPS:

ATL Red Table Hyacinthus

Marshall Island Fuzzy Green Bottlebrush

Blue/Green Tort

Sour Apple Birdsnest

Ponape Birdsnest

Rainbow Monti

Sunset Monti (still recovering)

Setosa Monti

Pavona

Thank you, I personally think its awesome having a mixed reef in a 4g. The par30 is 5 inches from the water, its where I find I can get the best intensity and coverage for the tank's needs. What it really needs is another one though.

For SPS:

ATL Red Table Hyacinthus

Blue/Green Tort

Sour Apple Birdsnest

Ponape Birdsnest

Rainbow Monti

Setosa Monti

Pavona

You are very skilled, a real mixed reef like yours in a tank so small is beyond me I think. My 4g is technically mixed, but I go the other way and keep nps and mushies.

That's a lovely list of sps and your tank is very beautiful. :)

L

For SPS:

ATL Red Table Hyacinthus

Blue/Green Tort

Sour Apple Birdsnest

Ponape Birdsnest

Rainbow Monti

Setosa Monti

Pavona

thanks for the response. I love the acros in a pico. Not too many years ago this was considered impossible.

Have you noticed w/ the acans that the acans on the sides of a clump will have the best patches of colors; while the ones directly on top facing the light are more subtle?

I saw this in my tank and thought that they must want less light or indirect light so I moved them to lower light. This did not help. They just became bland with no pop. I will be moving them back.

You are very skilled, a real mixed reef like yours in a tank so small is beyond me I think. My 4g is technically mixed, but I go the other way and keep nps and mushies.

That's a lovely list of sps and your tank is very beautiful. :)

L

Thanks a lot, this tank reflects all the experiences ive learned from my previous tanks. It is, by far, the easiest to maintain and take care of, which was my goal. I only put in livestock that catches my eye, instead of pleasing my wallet.

thanks for the response. I love the acros in a pico. Not too many years ago this was considered impossible.

Have you noticed w/ the acans that the acans on the sides of a clump will have the best patches of colors; while the ones directly on top facing the light are more subtle?

I saw this in my tank and thought that they must want less light or indirect light so I moved them to lower light. This did not help. They just became bland with no pop. I will be moving them back.

I think the deal with the acans is that as the polyp expands and matures it will dull in color. I do not belive it has to do with positioning of the acans within the tank or colony. The immature or even retracted mature polyps always show a brighter coloring because the pigment proteins are closer together at this point. These are my observations and findings from research.

tank is looking good man. i like the mix of corals

Thanks Rich! Your corals were the first to grace the tank, and the toadstools are still one of my favorites!

Tort

024-1.jpg

015-5.jpg

The growth is fine, acans have all doubled in polyp number and size (while keeping their color), and as you can see above the sps are also growing. The birdsnest have lost color though. If they dont color up with an additional bulb, ill just replace them with a purple monster or garf bonsai or something.

have you been feeding you acans, if so what?

Yes, I feed them occasionally with a mixture of Cyclopes, mysis, roitifers, prawn roe.

From tonight after a much needed water change and system cleanse:

008-9.jpg

011-7.jpg

010-10.jpg

014-8.jpg

012-10.jpg

003-11.jpg

007-9.jpg

And a better growth comparison of the tort:

024-1.jpg

002-14.jpg

I now have two bulbs over the tank, got my second boost par30 in the mail a couple days ago - same exact bulb as my first one. So now the tank is burning at 26 watts. Kinda bummed about that.

I fragged the birdsnests substantially, and if they don't color up with the additional bulb I'm ditching them and getting some nicer SPS pieces (maybe purple monster, or bonsai).

I also will be getting some chaeto to stuff into the AC70 soon. I think the fuge will help out a lot!

I'll post some updated pictures later.

Holy cow from the FTS your acans look fuzzy they're so extended! The second light was a great addition, it really gives it the full coverage you needed

Holy cow from the FTS your acans look fuzzy they're so extended! The second light was a great addition, it really gives it the full coverage you needed

Haha, yeah, I had just fed the dendro so they were trying to get any left-overs. I really think the tank will respond well all-around with the additional bulb. Hopefully the sunset can finally recover, and the softies will take off. How's your tank coming?!

Picked up a few new corals last night and today. An acropora nana, hawkins echinata, and a pink lemonade acropora. Ive moved the pavona and war coral to the other rock to make room for these additions. And to keep in fasion with the tank, ive scattered smaller pieces of the nana and pink lemonade about the sps rock lol. Also, now have some chaeto - just need to light it. And I tried something new with the camera today, I took a few shots through my sunglasses. I thought the images were pretty cool and quite true to real colors. They will be at the end of the photo bomb.

001-16.jpg

002-16.jpg

004-12.jpg

005-13.jpg

011-8.jpg

012-11.jpg

009-9.jpg

008-11.jpg

015-6.jpg

And now the pictures that were taken through my sunglasses:

003-13.jpg

007-11.jpg

006-12.jpg

010-12.jpg

013-7.jpg

014-9.jpg

Good work on the SPS in a 4g tank.

I love the acans as well.

Wow! Thanks for the compliment on my little tank. It shadows in comparison with your masterpiece though, lol.

I'm hoping for long term success with these sps though, so I cant wait to see the start of the newest additions encrust as the others have. And the acans are really starting to fill up the bed, im now satisfied with the $150 spent on them haha

Archived