Top Shelf Aquatics

Milkeeways JBJ 3 Gal Pico

Milkeeway

Haha well sponges are cool I guess :P I figured it was something like that I found maybe 5 or 6 different color sponges all over the Marshall Island LR

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
Thanks DriftMonkey I hear you there man I think I'm going try and pull the rocks in so I can clean the glass easier. Also I kind of want to experiment with a deep sand bed. I was reading about different methods and one is the deep sand bed method. Mine doesn't quite fit the requirements but I'd like to try it because I see a lot of tanks crash with "thinner" sand beds maybe it will help :]

Everything I've read indicates that a DSBs just aren't practical and actually can turn into a detritus trap, leading to ever-high nitrates. This is why many choose just to run bare-bottom tanks.

Bigger tanks can utilize DSBs much better than these tanks, they have much more surface area to work with...though I do wonder if you could set one up a sort of DSB inside your skimmer. Maybe some miracle mud?

Yea my sandbed is only an inch to an inch and a half max. Our tanks are just too small for an efficient dsb. Unless your Newman and make 3/4 your tank sand like he did in his tiny tank lol

Well Im pretty close to having 10lb of sand in my tank haha!

Hm Driftmonkey where were you thinking I put the sand in my skimmer? on the outlet side?

Drift Monkey
Well Im pretty close to having 10lb of sand in my tank haha!

Hm Driftmonkey where were you thinking I put the sand in my skimmer? on the outlet side?

I'm not exactly sure...you'd need a spot where the sand could stay in place and not get blown out of it...not sure it would even do anything to be honest...but it might be a cool experiment.

Im looking at the design of the skimmer I am not sure if I can utilize the space because the water needs to flow up and under, cool idea though. I thought about possibly keeping the air tube out preventing it from being a protein skimmer and turning it into a fuge

Yeah I accidentally poured wayyy too much sand I figure I can always siphon it out in water changes if necessary

Drift Monkey
Im looking at the design of the skimmer I am not sure if I can utilize the space because the water needs to flow up and under, cool idea though. I thought about possibly keeping the air tube out preventing it from being a protein skimmer and turning it into a fuge

Yeah I accidentally poured wayyy too much sand I figure I can always siphon it out in water changes if necessary

Making it into a fuge of sorts would be pretty sweet. You could make a media rack too and keep various things in there as well.

Having the skimmer could be extremely useful though. For example, if you decide to feed heavy and such you could run the skimmer for a set amount of time after, then shut it off.

Making it into a fuge of sorts would be pretty sweet. You could make a media rack too and keep various things in there as well.

Having the skimmer could be extremely useful though. For example, if you decide to feed heavy and such you could run the skimmer for a set amount of time after, then shut it off.

Im debating both right now, I cant really have it be a "skimmer" only part time I don't think unless you mean only attach the air hose when necessary

the idea of a fuge is kind of cool to say the least but right now I am struggling with my scape! I started changing it then messed up now I am kind of starting all over haha!

Haha thats for sure!. Im starting to think I just hate my rocks :P haha or wishing I had more space to work with!! its tough >.<

Space is at a premium lol. We should just charge corals rent cause if I wasn't for them we would have more room to work lol.

Haha I'd love to actually GET money out of this hobby haha seems like everyday I'm a little happier and a little more broke.

I think I finally found a formation I like though its got a ton of holes and stuff just a lot less visible it seems more natural less jenga haha

Drift Monkey
Im debating both right now, I cant really have it be a "skimmer" only part time I don't think unless you mean only attach the air hose when necessary

the idea of a fuge is kind of cool to say the least but right now I am struggling with my scape! I started changing it then messed up now I am kind of starting all over haha!

Yeah... detaching the air hose should work perfect.

Keep at it...it sometimes takes a while to find a scape you like...

I wish I could look at my tank right now. I hate working nights. That's when the cool stuff comes out in the tank lol.

I am sure all the commotion I made in the sand bed ruined whatever progress I was making as far as a cycle goes. I think I like it I mean it will look different with corals all over it.

That sucks man! I dont have moonlights or anything so when the lights go out I cant see anything

Drift Monkey
I am sure all the commotion I made in the sand bed ruined whatever progress I was making as far as a cycle goes. I think I like it I mean it will look different with corals all over it.

That sucks man! I dont have moonlights or anything so when the lights go out I cant see anything

Eh, you didn't disturb much, most of the cycling is happening deep inside the live rock.

Just grab a little flashlight and peep in to see your rocks...:P

Lol I shine the flashlight in when I see the sexies on the zoas at night. It scares the hell out of them. That's probably why they eat the zoas, out of spite.

Haha Gritchie!! That's priceless.

Interesting Drift, well I'm getting a new test kit tomorrow so I'll see where I am at! Rocks are where I like them no more disturbing them haha! So if all goes well I will be able to add some life fairly soon. I did use Dr Tim's Aquatic ONE and ONLY. I read some good things and figured I'd try it. My only curiosity is that lets say it works, am I going to show all of the same signs everyone else does in a cycle? Such as Detritus, etc.

Here's a link to it.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...fm?pcatid=18986

Drift Monkey
Lol I shine the flashlight in when I see the sexies on the zoas at night. It scares the hell out of them. That's probably why they eat the zoas, out of spite.

hahaha, vengeful sexies! :o

Haha Gritchie!! That's priceless.

Interesting Drift, well I'm getting a new test kit tomorrow so I'll see where I am at! Rocks are where I like them no more disturbing them haha! So if all goes well I will be able to add some life fairly soon. I did use Dr Tim's Aquatic ONE and ONLY. I read some good things and figured I'd try it. My only curiosity is that lets say it works, am I going to show all of the same signs everyone else does in a cycle? Such as Detritus, etc.

Here's a link to it.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...fm?pcatid=18986

I've heard of stuff like that...not sure if you needed it or if it'll help but I guess we'll see. A cycle is a continuous thing though and it expands as your livestock expands. Your live rock looks very cured though, so maybe you'll have a shorter cycle...post up your test results and we'll see what's what.

Indeed we will, I can hardly sleep. Straight to my LFS tomorrow afternoon to pick up a test kit and some water. What would I see specifically if my cycle was done, because I added the Dr Tims stuff a little over a week ago. I'm Guessing 0 amm 0 nitri 0 nitra?

Drift Monkey
Indeed we will, I can hardly sleep. Straight to my LFS tomorrow afternoon to pick up a test kit and some water. What would I see specifically if my cycle was done, because I added the Dr Tims stuff a little over a week ago. I'm Guessing 0 amm 0 nitri 0 nitra?

Everything could be zero'd out, but it's likely you'll have some nitrates at the end.

I don't have the money after paying some bills to buy the test kit! However my LFS tested my water and I got the go ahead to add life! Haha I wish I remembered the results for you guys. Regardless when I get my own test kit I will post them! They were nice enough to give me a small frag of Eagle Eye Zoa on my budget, as well as a yellow clown goby. I also picked up a couple hermits! I added them two days ago and all are doing well, zoas are open.

FTS

IMG_0566.jpg

Shot of Zoas

IMG_0567.jpg

Shot of Goby - Taken under Fluro not LED

IMG_0544.jpg

Archived