SaltCritters.com

Milkeeways JBJ 3 Gal Pico

Milkeeway

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Among the typical inverts probably what my LFS refers to as a "Pygmy Goby" I think I've seen them referred to as something different here "tiger goby" i think. They get about an inch to inch and a half long. Seems like that's the best choice. I am open to suggestions though

I agree with you! I may do a combination of both :) once I get my rockwork the way I like it I can decide more on what I think will look good

It has almost a clear body with black stripes right? I like them but not as bright as what I would want for a Pico reef. I was originally going to go with a couple red striped gobies. They would be cool imo.

I'm going to clean up my intro and this thread a little when I have access to my computer. I have cured Fiji live rock in there about 3 1/2lb and an additional 1-1 1/2lb of Marshalls Island live rock from an established reef tank at my LFS. I also used only established reef water from one of their tanks which had copepods(has to be mispelled) swimming around in it(they looked like little fleas kinda haha she assured me that was a sign of a healthy reef? She sucked some of them up in the water I bought.

The ones I saw had red stripes but I'm assuming it's the same species but the body is still clear so yeah it is a bit boring. But because of the size I want my bioload to be minimal. Since I have a long time until I can add anything I'm keeping my eyes open for anything miniature with lots of color

There we go! That's the one I was looking at it has some color and I figure with some red Zoa or red ric it would look pretty good. So far for lighting I'm using Two Stock JBJ lights 18watts total. Pictures are outdated. Will be updated this weekend. I'm planning on upgrading my light to either the new RapidLed 7 led par38 or the Rapidled 5 led par 30 I wanted to do the Evil66 picolamp, or his par38 bulb but I don't like waiting or having to switch the optics myself(I know I can do it I just don't like the idea of voiding my warranty) what if something happens within 6mo unrelated to the optics switch I'm SOL

Those are awesome fish. My lfs is currently trying to get green and yellow clown gobies to eat prepared food so once they are I'm going to get one of them.

Wow I really like the yellow clown goby! It has a lot of color and stays so small! I hope they get on prepared foods soon so you can buy him/her haha! If your like me your itching to take them home!

Drift Monkey
I agree with you 100%. Like I said before you and some of the other Pico owners are why I started so seeing you guys take an interest in my build is awesome! This will be a very active thread(at least on my part :) )

Hey DriftMonkey nice to see you here! My plan is to use the skimmer to move water as well as skim. I will not be using the skimmer during the cycle the video and pics were just to show it running. My plan was to do a Zoa garden what do you think?

Sounds like a good plan, although personally I would think the zoas would do better sans the skimmer.

You bring up an extremely valuable point and I do not claim nor am I an expert but with the help of everyone here I'm hoping we can find a solution if a problem presents itself and who knows maybe well learn something interesting about zoas in the process! If the skimmer at it's lowest intake is robbing essential nutrients needed for the survival of the tank there may be a work around! Or I will have to look into other creative options for filtration!

Wow I really like the yellow clown goby! It has a lot of color and stays so small! I hope they get on prepared foods soon so you can buy him/her haha! If your like me your itching to take them home!

That might be my choice as well. Their yellow color really stands out in a reef and they stay tiny. Perfect tank for them.

Yea you never know how much the skimmer will pull out until you try it. By the way, I really like the scape. We have some awesome picos with some awesome shapes here.

Yea you have a lot of spots for coral and a good amount of swimming room for a fish if you get one. Are you planning on upgrading the light or just keeping it stock.

The pictures don't show it but I'm running two stock jbj pico lamps at 9 watts each and I think I'm going to upgrade to the Rapidled Par30 bulb I kind of want the par38 bulb but it's overkill

The new scape looks great. I like the openness in the middle. Just make sure you leave some space on the sides so you can get a magnet cleaner by there. Looks awesome though.

Drift Monkey
FTS

cb4e0ec8.jpg

What all is on this rock?

6d142fa4.jpg

Looks good man, the only criticisms I have are the clearances between the rocks and the glass on the sides (might make it hard to clean the glass in those spots) and the amount of sand (though, this is just my personal opinion). Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me, I like the shapes you have.

As far as for what's on that specific rock? I'm not sure...possibly a sponge of sorts, but it looks like an area of heavy coralline algae buildup.

I added the stock JBJ Pico filter to my Protein Skimmer on the outlet side. My thinking is that it will collect a decent amount of biological in the filter pads adding back to the tank at least some of what the oversized skimmer takes away.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Here are some updated shots of the tank as of right now.

cb4e0ec8.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

I think I may have some sponges on this rock. Do you think the pink is coralline algae or something else?

IMG_0537.jpg

Thanks DriftMonkey I hear you there man I think I'm going try and pull the rocks in so I can clean the glass easier. Also I kind of want to experiment with a deep sand bed. I was reading about different methods and one is the deep sand bed method. Mine doesn't quite fit the requirements but I'd like to try it because I see a lot of tanks crash with "thinner" sand beds maybe it will help :]

Looks great. You got a lot of caves and overhangs. I couldn't tell you what is in the rock but it does look like a sponge and some coralline build up.

Archived