Top Shelf Aquatics

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

Well it's been a few weeks since I started my tank so I figured I would post a little update. So far everthing has been doing good Tinygiant has been a huge instigator for my tank..lol otherwise he seems to be a pretty good guy :P

I am currently running 8 white bulbs & 14 blue bulbs. I tend to like my tanks a little on the blue side I had a huge green hair algae problem but it seems to be under control with the help of some Turbo snails.

Edited by bulldogpet

well Neya, I think your order and mine are in the same limbo...I've been waiting for 42 days now...nothing. Not even a tracking number to find it. I've emailed the seller, HK, but haven't heard back yet. I'm hoping that they eventually show up. I know that I'm covered through Paypal and HK seems like a great seller so I hope that things work out for the best... as of right nwo I have a bunch of empty sockets waiting for their bulbs :(

Well it's been a few weeks since I started my tank so I figured I would post a little update. So far everthing has been doing good Tinygiant has been a huge instigator for my tank..lol otherwise he seems to be a pretty good guy :P

I am currently running 8 white bulbs & 14 blue bulbs. I tend to like my tanks a little on the blue side I had a huge green hair algae problem but it seems to be under control with the help of some Turbo snails. Here is a short video I did today the color is not near what it is in person as with most LED lit tanks.

video didnt post

well Neya, I think your order and mine are in the same limbo...I've been waiting for 42 days now...nothing. Not even a tracking number to find it. I've emailed the seller, HK, but haven't heard back yet. I'm hoping that they eventually show up. I know that I'm covered through Paypal and HK seems like a great seller so I hope that things work out for the best... as of right nwo I have a bunch of empty sockets waiting for their bulbs :(

Hk is a good seller. I didn't get trackIng through them either, but my package came registered USPS (I had to sign for it).

The eBay seller wants me to still wait (his refund/resend policy is 20 days, and we're past that). USPS considers all post without 10 days of trackable movement expired - so I'm not sure what to do. I don't mind waiting, although I'm antsy, but the person I ordered with is now hounding me.

im defiantly going to get something like this!

how many would i need of each for a 20 long to grow some sps

i want more of a blueish look

also please tell me how these are powered,do they need some sort of driver?

thanks

sorry im 16 and know nothing about electricity.

i can wire everything i just dont know if i can just get a plain extension cable that has 2 wires and cut it in half and just attach it to the end cap thing.

or do i need some sort of driver.

the thing i need to know really is how they need to be powered

im defiantly going to get something like this!

how many would i need of each for a 20 long to grow some sps

i want more of a blueish look

also please tell me how these are powered,do they need some sort of driver?

thanks

sorry im 16 and know nothing about electricity.

i can wire everything i just dont know if i can just get a plain extension cable that has 2 wires and cut it in half and just attach it to the end cap thing.

or do i need some sort of driver.

the thing i need to know really is how they need to be powered

a plan extension cord is fine.

i would start with 1 per 2" of tank width A 20 long is 30" so start with 14-15 bulbs. if you find you want more.. add more.. but with the shallowness of the 20L you'll have more than enough :)

I would do a 1/2 and 1/2 of blue and white to start.. then add if you find you need it more blue

the drivers are built into the bulb. i did post some diagrams as mentioned. read through the first post all the way and you'll see it

hehe ok.. so i am pressed for space... could i wire the wires directly to the prongs on the light buld itself or do i need to use the little ceramic bases?

use the sockets. it would be super dangerous to have 120v only 1/4" away from each other bare. it could ark if can.

use the sockets. they dont add any height really or width at all. be safe.

hehe ok.. so i am pressed for space... could i wire the wires directly to the prongs on the light buld itself or do i need to use the little ceramic bases?

I agree with tiny. Its bad enough having 120v above salt water self wired (I still worry daily). The sockets are cheap, easy, and like he said do not add much height at all.

I like my color temperature to look a little closer to 20k so I got a few extra blue 1w LED's and did a mod to 2 of my cool white GU10's. So far it been working out really good. I think for the smaller tanks like mine its makes sense to do this if your after the 20k look because you get a much more even color mix across the tank.

So this is what my GU10 4x1w bulb setup looks like now

Untitled.png

The modified GU10

570494a0-1.jpg

my lights showed up yesterday! well...I got a slip saying I had a registered letter from Hong Kong, and unless I ordered something and don't remember it this has to be the lights. Course, by the time I got home last night the post office was closed. I'm going to get them on lunch, so excited I can actually get this light built this weekend. Neya, I hope your lights show up soon too. These were the one's from HK_LED. I'll be taking pictures of the build and have them in my tank thread come monday, don't forget to take a peak!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120770740367

recieved my bulbs in 9 days from this seller. Best prices right now too!

okies ordered 2 more blues and another white....

cant wait that should be 6 over my 3.5 gallon and will be able to get it about 9 inches from base of light to top of water...

thinking about

B-----W-----B

B-----W-----B

or

W-----B-----B

B-----B-----W

what do you think about Height and Light placement?

well got the bulbs all wired up, I am positive that I Spaced them to far apart, but its a temporary set up for the ten gallon until I get the 40B running. Corals all look lovely under them! I didn't know the watermelon zoa's were so bright :) I've got pictures, but of course at work I can't load them. tonight or tomorrow I'll post up some pictures. Going to be keeping a weekly photo journal of all my corals to track growth. These lights do it for me and I'm sold, will be buying many more for the 40B

If anyone is interested, I've got 30 sockets that I'm not using. Sold my bulbs already. Probably sell for $15 shipped USPS.

I'm glad everyone seems to be liking these bulbs, they just didn't work out for me.

How many bulbs would be enough for a 75g 48x18x18 I plan on keeping all kind of corals from softies to sps.

i'd say start with 30 or so and go from there