Cultivated Reef

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

man i just wanted to say thanks again.... i have had the most success with these lights... stuff is growing like crazy in the tank and it is nice to have found this thread...

Will be adding some build pictures for a 20L in about a week or so. :)

Also had a question does anyone recommend fans to be run with these?

only if you are putting them in something without airflow. if air can be trapped i would say find a way to get it out. They dont get hot enough to need one if they are in open air..

i just did a photoshop mock up and a quote for someone locally for building a gu10 hood for his 55g. Figured i would share the photoshop since i think it came out quite nicely

55g-project.jpg

going to do a single pvc tube above the tank braced by more pvc. (unless i find a better looking solution)

only if you are putting them in something without airflow. if air can be trapped i would say find a way to get it out. They dont get hot enough to need one if they are in open air..

So if they are in a hood then a small fan to move the air around would be ok?

Hay guys I was thinking of doing a 19 3x1watt fixture for my 20H, would that work?

Also could these be dimmed by one of those lamp dimmers they sell at HD?

I was thinking of arranging them like this:

B W B W B W B

...B W B W B...

B W B W B W B

Edited by swayd
Hay guys I was thinking of doing a 19 3x1watt fixture for my 20H, would that work?

B W B W B W B

...B W B W B...

B W B W B W B

That looks good to me I just did one with my girlfriend kathleen_c that has 15 bulbs (20L) but could be expanded to 45 bulbs if need be. It is a little bit spotlighty so 19 would work well.

They are arranged like this

B W B W B

W B W B W

B W B W B

I am not sure about the dimmers though.

Edited by nickjqz

what seems to be the best distance from the top of the tank/water to avoid spot lighting if you spread the lights 2" apart?

I ordered 5 bulbs to play around with but going to work on the hood/hanging solutions while I wait for them to come in

3blue 2white.

xxredxpandaxx

B W B W B W B

...B W B W B...

B W B W B W B

If it states that you can dim them than you can but other wise no. The dimmer switches that you can buy at HD lessen the volts and with leds you need to dim the current, that is why you have to get a bulb that says dimmable.

just wanted to say its sweet this post thread has 40 pages now! I'm glad people are getting good use out of my pioneering adventure with chinese leds :) bunch of people in the club i run are now running the same lights :)

I'm planning to build a light for my 14x14x14 cube. Would 4 white and 5 blue 4x1w bulbs in 3 rows of 3 be enough for SPS?

also.. this thread needs much more pics!

I'm planning to build a light for my 14x14x14 cube. Would 4 white and 5 blue 4x1w bulbs in 3 rows of 3 be enough for SPS?

also.. this thread needs much more pics!

I would say yes it would be enough. but leave enough room in the spacing just in case you want to add some more :)

If it states that you can dim them than you can but other wise no. The dimmer switches that you can buy at HD lessen the volts and with leds you need to dim the current, that is why you have to get a bulb that says dimmable.

Ok thanks Im glad I asked!

just wanted to say its sweet this post thread has 40 pages now! I'm glad people are getting good use out of my pioneering adventure with chinese leds :) bunch of people in the club i run are now running the same lights :)

Thank you for presenting this great oppurtunity to all of us!