Pod Your Reef

AF's 57 Nem tank *New NEMS!*

anemone fan

anemone fan
Go SPS tank!

An anemone tank would be nice though. You could do Porcelain Crabs and anemone shrimps.

Will porcelain crabs be safe from the anemones sting, I've never done any research on the little buggers.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anemone fan

After reading more it seems they have a mutualisitc relationship, they will definitely be incorporated into an anemone tank.

-------

What is a good brand of sand, I want a variety of sizes in the sand?

animalmaster6
Will porcelain crabs be safe from the anemones sting, I've never done any research on the little buggers.

Yep. They have a mutualistic relationship (looks like you figured that out) and live with them in the wild.

anemone fan

Are there any other fish that would be safe from anemones. They don't have to actually associate with them, but I want them to not get consumed.

BTW just ordered the 57 gallon, should be here this week or next?

anemone fan

What would be an appropriate skimmer for a 57 tank with a 29 gallon sump (approximately 80 gallons)? Anyone have any suggestions on a brand that would do well?

Nem fan I think that skimmer will be too small for your tank whether its sps or an anemone tank. I think you would be better going up a size like an NAC-6. I used the NAC-6 on my 52 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump and it worked great. Not too much skimmer by any means. I am going to be selling it if you are intersted. Pm me for details.

Glad you were able to find the 57 rimless. Gonna be a sweet set up.

HTH's

Jason

anemone fan
Nem fan I think that skimmer will be too small for your tank whether its sps or an anemone tank. I think you would be better going up a size like an NAC-6. I used the NAC-6 on my 52 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump and it worked great. Not too much skimmer by any means. I am going to be selling it if you are intersted. Pm me for details.

Glad you were able to find the 57 rimless. Gonna be a sweet set up.

HTH's

Jason

PM sent.

--------

What other fish would get along with a half dozen Clarkiis and BTAs? BTW I'm going anemone and Clarkii tank.

animalmaster6

If you have that many anemones you could get a few Porcelain Crabs. YOu should get some Maxi Minis and get some anemone shrimps for them. Those are just side livestock too.

A few damsels would also work

anemone fan
If you have that many anemones you could get a few Porcelain Crabs. You should get some Maxi Minis and get some anemone shrimps for them. Those are just side livestock too. A few damsels would also work

I'm not a big fan of maxi-minis, they aren't what I picture when I picture an anemone, I'm not a big fan of little carpet anemones. They are very colorful, but more of a nano/pico thing. I would love a porcelain crab or two, I'm just worried the Clarkiis would constantly harass them. Do you think they could stand their own against a bunch of clowns?

animalmaster6

Like I said, if there are that many anemones they will most likely be fine together. If there is only one or two anemones there might be a problem.

anemone fan

So, I'm going to be purchasing ATI bulbs next week, any combo suggestions. I was thinking either...

Blue+

Blue+

Aquablue Special

Purple +

Blue+

Blue+

or

Blue+

Aquablue Special

Blue +

Purple +

Aquablue Special

Blue+

or

Blue+

Aquablue Special

Aquablue Special

Purple +

Aquablue Special

Blue+

Essentially what do you suggest for the ratio of specials to pluses. Outside bulbs are going to be blue+ for a nighttime feel (they are on a different switch). I want the anemones to be happy, color would probably be best with 4 pluses, but may be very blue. Just say which one you like and why if you so choose. Thanks!

Also purchasing the following at the group buy:

GFO/Carbon Reactor

ROX 0.8 Carbon

RKL L1

6 ATI 36" T5HO Bulbs

Finnex 300W Heater

JBJ Aquascraper (out of stock ATM, so maybe not)

anemone fan

Just picked up my 57 and it is beautiful, got the glass versa-top with it and it is clean. Also purchased 70 lbs of dry rock. Scape looks pretty dirty.

Just picked up my 57 and it is beautiful, got the glass versa-top with it and it is clean. Also purchased 70 lbs of dry rock. Scape looks pretty dirty.

I wanted to order one from my LFS, but was told they were discontinued :angry: I'm located in Vancouver, Canada, anyone know where I could find one? They were being sold at this LFS 6 months ago for $250 tank only and $650 with stand.

anemone fan
woot woot! cant wait to see the scape.

I ripped down the scape to build the stand. It is sitting on my floor. There is a fourth tower behind the tower on the left.

DSCN1772.jpg

I wanted to order one from my LFS, but was told they were discontinued :angry: I'm located in Vancouver, Canada, anyone know where I could find one? They were being sold at this LFS 6 months ago for $250 tank only and $650 with stand.

They aren't discontinued. My LFS had three come in last Thursday. The Oceanic 57 is the only Oceanic still being made. Buy one now!!!

Its crazy how much aquarium stands can cost lol

Build one yourself.

----------

Few pictures of the progress...the tank first with the glass versa-top.

DSCN1767.jpg

A little bit of the stand with some of the stuff I still need to do.

DSCN1768.jpg

The top of my stand where the pipes from my overflow come in.

DSCN1769.jpg

anemone fan
Looking good!

Thanks, anyone have any opinions on the light selection, I want color, but not extreme blue.

A little paint, waterproofing the inside. Need more brushes, foam brushes are a waste of money.

DSCN1773.jpg

You got your tank with the overflow built in? Does it come with the durso or do you have to get one yourself? I'm asking because I placed an order for a rr one but wasn't sure what that includes besides the bulkheads

anemone fan
You got your tank with the overflow built in? Does it come with the durso or do you have to get one yourself? I'm asking because I placed an order for a rr one but wasn't sure what that includes besides the bulkheads

Yeah, it was RR. All that you see is what was included. The bulkheads aren't in right now, but you get the gist of what was included.

DSCN1776.jpg

---------

Tiled the first two inches of the stand. Still need to grout. The tank has hit a snag, financials have been tied up in car repairs so the tank will not be proceeding as planned, going to finish the stand and then it may be a month or two.

DSCN1778.jpg

anemone fan
Looking great so far....I love the tile idea.

Can't wait to see the stand done.

Thanks, but I stole it from someone else's build. Loving your build and the FTS sequence is pretty sweet.

-------

Drilled the electric conduit for hanging the TEK, need to cut some more off the end and paint it black.

DSCN1781.jpg

Archived