Cultivated Reef

AF's 57 Nem tank *New NEMS!*

anemone fan

anemone fan

Stuff I did this weekend:

Grouted the tile

DSCN1822.jpg

Laid a massive amount of waterproofing paint on the interior. (sorry for the P&S camera pics)

DSCN1824.jpg

Blacked out the back of the tank. (ahh! flash)

DSCN1825.jpg

Painted the conduit

DSCN1826.jpg

Stuff to do:

Lay at least one more coat of waterproofing, pre-stain, stain, seal, and attach sides, and decide whether or not I want to make doors for the front.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anemone fan

Things I did today:

Sealed the stand joints so salt creep doesn't build up in there and for easier clean-up.

DSCN1869.jpg

Pre-stained and then stained the sides of the stand, still need to add a poly-coat to the sides.

Front-side

DSCN1875.jpg

Left Side

DSCN1876.jpg

anemone fan

A few updates, put a few things together and this is what I have so far...

Tank sitting on the stand with rock.

DSCN1880.jpg

Everything so far...

DSCN1878.jpg

A little closer and at an angle to get the gist of some of the rock work sans flash.

DSCN1877.jpg

Still need to decide on what trim I want then cut, stain/paint, and attach trim. Cut side panels to size better (clean up the Home Depot cuts). Decide on whether I want doors for the front or continue with Velcro side panels. Poly-coat the side panels. If you like what you see leave a comment, this thread has been a ghost town.

What did you use to bend the conduit? How is it attached to the stand? I want to make something similar for my BC29 but using just 1 rod.

anemone fan
What did you use to bend the conduit? How is it attached to the stand? I want to make something similar for my BC29 but using just 1 rod.

I used a pipe bender, home depot did it for me for free. Purchase one 10ft 3/4 conduit and they cut it in half and bent a 90 degree into it 12" from one side. Turned out I needed to cut another 6" off the small side of the L so it wasn't sticking out so far, the bend adds a few inches. Then I drilled some holes in the conduit with ever increasing bits using my 12V cordless Dewalt. Stopped stepping up sizes as soon as my bolt could fit through it. Some black spray paint, attached it to the back of the stand and voila. Q.E.D.

great work so far!

Thanks for the compliment, hoping to continue the build soon, school has picked up some and working on school work is decidedly more important.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice lookin tank! I would ditch the glass versa top and get a sheet of 1/4" acrylic and cut it to size. That way it will be perfectly clear with no rib in the middle.

anemone fan
Nice lookin tank! I would ditch the glass versa top and get a sheet of 1/4" acrylic and cut it to size. That way it will be perfectly clear with no rib in the middle.

Thanks for the compliment, got to post a picture of the stand finally complete. Looks a lot cleaner with the versa-top in my opinion. I don't think the rib will be an issue with a 6 bulb set up.

-------

Anyone have any opinions on the skimmer I proposed?

ry05coupe

Only thing I can say about the skimmer is I use the NAC6 on my 40b w/ 29g sump. the 3.5 may not cut it.

anemone fan

Things I've bought in the past week:

4 20lb bags of Somoa Pink Sand #0

1 20lb bag of Somoa Pink Gravel #1

RKL

300W Heater

Lots of Eggcrate

Assorted 36" ATI T5HO Bulbs

GFO/Carbon Reactor

ROX Carbon

Eheim 1260 (for sump)

MJ 1200 (for reactor)

29 AGA Tank (for sump)

• 2 weeks later...
anemone fan

Picture Update:

RKL has been set up except there are two problems. One is the time will not advance.

DSCN1946.jpg

2 is the iTemp never came with the attachment to the PC4. Digital Aquatics said they would fix everything so no hard feelings.

DSCN1942.jpg

A picture of some of the plumbing and electrical under the stand.

DSCN1947.jpg

Sump tank and some of the gear.

DSCN1949.jpg

Couple FTS from different angles. White balance is way off.

DSCN1944.jpg

DSCN1943.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
anemone fan

Forgot to update this. Things that have happened:

• added water
  • stuff leaked
  • fixed it
  • leaked again
  • took sump offline
  • running the heater in the DT for now
  • purchased two Amphiprion clarkii

Enjoy the few pictures

Introducing Salt (has a white spot on her tail)

DSC_4316.jpg

and Pepper (black spot on tail and overall darker)

DSC_4296.jpg

follow the leader

DSC_4268.jpg

updated FTS

DSC_4269.jpg

loving the bosses D60, need to buy myself one of these beauties.

animalmaster6

Love the Clarkii Clowns!

Hey AF I recently went on a tour of Appledore Island and after I went to Rye beach. I think I saw where you told me to look for gunnels. I didn't find any but I'm going there again sometime soon.

anemone fan
Love the Clarkii Clowns!

Hey AF I recently went on a tour of Appledore Island and after I went to Rye beach. I think I saw where you told me to look for gunnels. I didn't find any but I'm going there again sometime soon.

There are gunnels everywhere, recently I dove at White Island at the Isle of Shoals and there was about 1" newly settled gunnels at a density of about 1 every square foot along with lots of sculpins. I am a big fan of the Clarkiis over the Perculas and Ocellaris.

animalmaster6
There are gunnels everywhere, recently I dove at White Island at the Isle of Shoals and there was about 1" newly settled gunnels at a density of about 1 every square foot along with lots of sculpins. I am a big fan of the Clarkiis over the Perculas and Ocellaris.

Yeah I'm taking a trip there again but it's going to be all day so I'm going to a lot of different places. I did see my first gunnel at a science center there though.

I love Clarkiis but they are a bit too aggressive (or tempermental I guess) for my liking.

anemone fan
Yeah I'm taking a trip there again but it's going to be all day so I'm going to a lot of different places. I did see my first gunnel at a science center there though.

I love Clarkiis but they are a bit too aggressive (or tempermental I guess) for my liking.

I could probably catch one or two gunnels for you, I dive every couple months at the shoals and play in the intertidal all the time (its my job).

A. clarkii are by far my favorite complex of species of Amphiprion. A. occellaris and A. percula are ugly to me, look unnatural in those ugly breeder varieties, and only host relatively difficult anemones in the wild (I don't like seeing fish hosting something they don't normally host).

animalmaster6
I could probably catch one or two gunnels for you, I dive every couple months at the shoals and play in the intertidal all the time (its my job).

A. clarkii are by far my favorite complex of species of Amphiprion. A. occellaris and A. percula are ugly to me, look unnatural in those ugly breeder varieties, and only host relatively difficult anemones in the wild (I don't like seeing fish hosting something they don't normally host).

That would be cool. That job sounds awesome. Are you a student at UNH?

I'm really not a fan of all the different occelaris' and percula's. I just like the normal ones.

anemone fan
That would be cool. That job sounds awesome. Are you a student at UNH?

I'm really not a fan of all the different occelaris' and percula's. I just like the normal ones.

Getting my M.S. in zoology studying an invasive sea anemone that occurs in Salem, MA as well as working with a few Urticina spp. at UNH. Got my B.S. in marine and freshwater biology here too.

--------

Purchased 4 more Amphiprion clarkii and so far there hasn't been any misfits or beatings. Couple months and I will be purchasing a sea anemone, pictures to come probably around Friday.

animalmaster6
Getting my M.S. in zoology studying an invasive sea anemone that occurs in Salem, MA as well as working with a few Urticina spp. at UNH. Got my B.S. in marine and freshwater biology here too.

Ah okay.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sweet Clarkii's! I had two when I first started and love them! Follow the leader pic is a great photo!

Thx

---------

Some pics of new livestock, detritus CUC from IPSF. A algae CUC is in the works with reefcleaners.

Cirratulid worms

DSC_5084.jpg

Bristle Worms

DSC_5087.jpg

Sandbed Clams

DSC_5092.jpg

I think I'm ready for a CUC

DSC_5109.jpg

And the "spice-rack of clarkii", as my girlfriend calls it:

Pepper (4th in command)

DSC_5126.jpg

Salt (3rd in command)

DSC_5129.jpg

Rosemary (Boss)

DSC_5132.jpg

Paprika (Last in command)

DSC_5136.jpg

Oregano (2nd in command)

DSC_5143.jpg

Sage (5th in command)

DSC_5144.jpg

FTS with all the spice-rack in view

DSC_5154.jpg

Quite a pecking order has been determined amongst the fish, hopefully violence doesn't escalate when anemones are introduced. To reduce aggression I am going to introduce at least three BTAs at once. Also mulling over purchasing a tiger pistol and maybe a fighting conch for sand stirring capabilities. Leave some love.

When I get anemones how many should I get, LADD starts them around 3" and I have 6 anemonefish. BTAs to start. I was thinking two GBTA and two RBTA.

Archived