inTank Media Baskets

AF's 57 Nem tank *New NEMS!*

anemone fan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anemone fan

No, coasttocoastaquariums.com, nevermind that is without the Starphire, woops. I think I'm just going to go AGA.

anemone fan

So, I was thinking, maybe I should do an anemone tank. What do you guys think anemone tank (BTAs and LTAs of varying colors) or SPS and some LPS?

Depending on the anemones you want to keep, you should be able to do both sps and anemone. LTA's are sand dwellers so you can put them in a good place on the bottom with your sps up on the top rock work.

I would suggest no more than two LTA for a 57g tank.. maybe even only one because they get large.

anemone fan
Depending on the anemones you want to keep, you should be able to do both sps and anemone. LTA's are sand dwellers so you can put them in a good place on the bottom with your sps up on the top rock work.

I would suggest no more than two LTA for a 57g tank.. maybe even only one because they get large.

If I had anemones I would have to be choosy with the fish I add, always having the fear of fish munching. I rather do either an SPS dominated with a variety of fish or do an anemone tank with anemone shrimp, crabs, clowns, etc.

anemone fan
you get any bulbs for that Tek I sent ya??? lets get this tank going :P I wana see some coral!

I have to purchase them still, but more important than light bulbs is a tank and stand. I need to do my taxes first to get some cash.

Invert dominated SPS and LPS reef.

I was thinking about something along this line. Maybe some pistols and Pocillipora crabs.

maybe a mini-predator reef? some large soft coral colonies, filefish, tobies, a lionfish and maybe an pygmy angel?

Maybe...

anemone fan

Okay, so I was thinking of doing a 57 rimless Oceanic, but turns out that has been discontinued so back to a 65 AGA, getting quotes as I write this.

Nem fan,

After some further research it appears Oceanic is still going to be offering the Illuminata tanks. I called 2 local shops and both said they are backordered but can be ordered. The prices I sent in the pm were the same prices I got today on the 57 Illuminata.

Here is a link to read about Oceanics plans

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/03/18/update-...arium-products/

Probably be quicker to get the 65 though.

Hth's

Jason

anemone fan
Nem fan,

After some further research it appears Oceanic is still going to be offering the Illuminata tanks. I called 2 local shops and both said they are backordered but can be ordered. The prices I sent in the pm were the same prices I got today on the 57 Illuminata.

Here is a link to read about Oceanics plans

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/03/18/update-...arium-products/

Probably be quicker to get the 65 though.

Hth's

Jason

Yeah, after I sent you that pm, I called a few places Jays and Aquaaddicts included and they still can get it. $350, but if I go with Jays I bet I can get it for $330. Either way 57 Illuminata is still coming. AGA is so much cheaper though. Rimless v Rimmed.

850 for 36 24 24 3 side starphire shipped is kind of dirt cheap. Was it glass cages

REALLY?

36x30x18 starfire 3 holes and an overflow box for 320$.

new

You guys shure are paying alot of tanks in the states.

--

BTW people over do lighting all the time.

You guys must understand if a tank is 60" high and all the sps is with in 4" of the light you'll be in same boad as the guy with a 12" high tank with sps at 4" from the light.

Not to many people put sps in the bottom of the tank.

Mine do fine at about 18" form the light.

6 bulb t5ho.

anemone fan
REALLY? 36x30x18 starfire 3 holes and an overflow box for 320$. new You guys shure are paying alot of tanks in the states.

--

BTW people over do lighting all the time. You guys must understand if a tank is 60" high and all the sps is with in 4" of the light you'll be in same boad as the guy with a 12" high tank with sps at 4" from the light.

Not to many people put sps in the bottom of the tank. Mine do fine at about 18" form the light.

6 bulb t5ho.

That's pretty damn cheap, labor and shipping and glass all cost lots. I understand the light idea. TEK T5HO should cover the lighting to the sand bed. I'll plan on putting lower light animals down their.

------

I'm surprised that the vote is so one-sided. Kinda was interested in filling the tank with tons of colors of BTAs, a school of Clarkiis (5 or 6), and a buttload of sexy shrimps. LADD has quite a few colors of BTAs up right now. BTW the tank may be a week or two delayed due to me purchasing a new Xbox 360S, the old regular 360 was starting to crash and I don't want the girlfriend to not have her Kinect.

If you are getting the 57g illuminata, definitely go with the Tek T5 lighting. The 6 bulb is a lot of light.. That is what I use on my 57g (old Oceanic with Rim) and I can keep monti cap and digitatas on the sand bed after I frag them and they don't lose color. Also can keep all types of sps at least 10 inches from the top.

BTA loves it mid tank.

anemone fan
Anemones all the way man! I don't know if that many clowns is a good idea though.

I had African cichlids which are super aggressive all the time, either go overstocking or a pair, and if I have a tank of nems I think they would be fine.

If you are getting the 57g illuminata, definitely go with the Tek T5 lighting. The 6 bulb is a lot of light.. That is what I use on my 57g (old Oceanic with Rim) and I can keep monti cap and digitatas on the sand bed after I frag them and they don't lose color. Also can keep all types of sps at least 10 inches from the top.

BTA loves it mid tank.

It has to be SPS or nems, if I go SPS I'll do a mix of fishes, SPS, and inverts, but if I go nems I want to place only nem safe critters.

I know what you mean, just letting you know the 6 bulb unit lets you keep both of them. Nems like the BTA would be happy mid-tank and sps just about any where.

anemone fan

If I did anemones I could probably do some acans and duncans. and maybe some other large large polyped stony corals.

Acans are soooo awesome, and I am totally jealous of you guys in the States because you can get ones of much better colors that we can up here.

anemone fan
Acans are soooo awesome, and I am totally jealous of you guys in the States because you can get ones of much better colors that we can up here.

I love feeding em and watching the explosive growth. They should be able to take some accidental anemone stings as well. They aren't to delicate. I've never had duncans, are they pretty tolerant as well. I'm trying to think of large polyped stonies (I mean really large) that I could add if I did an anemone tank. I could probably do blue cloves or something that is relatively aggressive and low to the rock that an anemone or any real large polyped coral could deal with.

------

Looks like the vote is getting closer again, keep voting!

anemone fan

Some other genera of LPS that could be added are Catalaphyllia (elegance coral) and Euphyllia (hammer, frogspawn, and torch coral)

Archived