inTank Media Baskets

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense
As of yesterday....oh YES!!!! It looked great. Lights will be on in about 10 minutes but I really can't determine happiness for another few hours after lights are on.

Today's agenda involves a trip to the LFS to get more shrimpies for my FW and whatever else might float my boat :lol:

Remember I will be giving you mine to rehome. Maybe I should just get them over to you asap?

Lookin' great! I'm getting some cloves growing between some of my zoas, these newly appearing coral hitchhikers are really weird!

That is pretty cool specially gives the tank such a natural growth effect ... I am kind of hating to put my completely on hold until I relocate.

Hmmm the blue box can be upgraded w/ the new es driver....... ;) how high was it turned up?

Haha happy birthday tank....pfft I still got 10 months to go

I knew about the upgrading. Not sure what that would give me though. Maybe just the option for the battery backup? I know the one I have can't utilize the battery. I had it way low, almost all the way turned down.

Your tank is only 2 months old???? I thought it was older than that!

Overload your own thread with your own pics???? Never!!!!

I just luv em.

Thanks, Mark :happy:

I just thought spreading them out might be better. Plus it's a PITA to download my pictures sometimes :lol:

Looks great!

Thank you, Joel :happy:

I know I'm a little late but happy birthday to your tank. I love the pics that show the old lighting and the new led lighting. The color in the gsp alone is enough to turn someone to led lighting. Awesome tank gena!

yaaaaay more photos. I love those blue cloves. I'm glad I found some :) I

wish blastos weren't so slow too :(

Such a pretty birds nest.

Thanks, Ethan! My blue cloves are slowly going to take over the tank. They have already overtaken my Tubbs zoas (which can still peak through). I'm ok with it though cuz I love them so much :happy:

Lookin' great! I'm getting some cloves growing between some of my zoas, these newly appearing coral hitchhikers are really weird!

Thanks, never!!!! I have another tiny clove that came in as a HH as well. So far it's not growing wildly...at least not like my blue cloves. Danielle is right...it looks great. A very natural growth pattern for the tank.

Remember I will be giving you mine to rehome. Maybe I should just get them over to you asap?

I'm only going to pick up a couple today. I'm on the hunt for males. No rush on yours. I think you can have a gazillion in a tank without much added bioload.

Do you ever spot feed your blasto? I spot fed my blasto colony that had 6 heads and it now has 20 heads. Since I have stopped spot feeding the colony I haven't had any new heads pop up. I have come to the conclusion that they will only grow if they are fed. you should try it.

I know I'm a little late but happy birthday to your tank. I love the pics that show the old lighting and the new led lighting. The color in the gsp alone is enough to turn someone to led lighting. Awesome tank gena!

Thanks, jg!!!!! The lighting did make a huge difference in the GSP color.

The color has actually faded over time now. Not sure what's up with that. It isn't growing crazily either. I'm wondering if the bright lighting has something to do with that. I'm OK with it though. I don't really want it to take over my tank. I just wish the color was that crazy neon green I see in so many tanks.

Do you ever spot feed your blasto? I spot fed my blasto colony that had 6 heads and it now has 20 heads. Since I have stopped spot feeding the colony I haven't had any new heads pop up. I have come to the conclusion that they will only grow if they are fed. you should try it.

I never used to but I have recently started feeding it. It's placement used to be in a difficult to reach location so feeding directly was out of the question. I would see it grab floating pieces now and again though. Sice I movee it front and center I make a habit of feeding it directly now. I'm hoping it makes a difference!!!!!

Crazy morning update

I had a first and hopefully last!!!!!!

Went to feed my fish and noticed my male GBG wasn't out to feed as he normally is (big piggy). I wasn't too concerned because I know he's healthy and fat as a horse. I figured....he's in the back chamber. Sure enough.....

When I first found him he was in the middle chamber. Had to remove the first chamber contents too. At some point he swam up and over to the third chamber (pump was off, thank goodness). Ater removing the pump I was able to get him with my net.

Now my job is to work on a way to make sure that doesn't happen again :rolleyes:

nevermore1701
Thanks, jg!!!!! The lighting did make a huge difference in the GSP color.

The color has actually faded over time now. Not sure what's up with that. It isn't growing crazily either. I'm wondering if the bright lighting has something to do with that. I'm OK with it though. I don't really want it to take over my tank. I just wish the color was that crazy neon green I see in so many tanks.

I never used to but I have recently started feeding it. It's placement used to be in a difficult to reach location so feeding directly was out of the question. I would see it grab floating pieces now and again though. Sice I movee it front and center I make a habit of feeding it directly now. I'm hoping it makes a difference!!!!!

Crazy morning update

Went to feed my fish and noticed my male GBG wasn't out to feed as he normally is (big piggy). I wasn't too concerned because I know he's healthy and fat as a horse. I figured....he's in the back chamber. Sure enough.....

When I first found him he was in the middle chamber. Had to remove the first chamber contents too. At some point he swam up and over to the third chamber (pump was off, thank goodness). Ater removing the pump I was able to get him with my net.

Now my job is to work on a way to make sure that doesn't happen again :rolleyes:

Both of my old clowns and my YWG used to jump in the back like that! Such a pain <_<

Both of my old clowns and my YWG used to jump in the back like that! Such a pain <_<

What did you do to keep them out?

I seriously thing he's sexually frustrated. He so badly wants to be near the female. They are getting closer now but she still scoots away from him almost immediately. I noticed the last few days he's seemed very restless. Swimming to the top and down. Just genuinely frustrated!!!! I figured he would end up in the back chamber at some point. I wasn't surprised at all to find him there this morning.

So far I've lowered the water level. I hope that can make the difference.

surgicalsense
I'm only going to pick up a couple today. I'm on the hunt for males. No rush on yours. I think you can have a gazillion in a tank without much added bioload.

I am going to have to break down my little 3g very soon. I can not this last minute anyways :(

nevermore1701

I actually haven't done anything to keep them out of the back, too lazy :lol:

They haven't been back there in a while though, maybe they got it out of their systems :P

As of yesterday....oh YES!!!! It looked great. Lights will be on in about 10 minutes but I really can't determine happiness for another few hours after lights are on.

Today's agenda involves a trip to the LFS to get more shrimpies for my FW and whatever else might float my boat :lol:

Glad to hear you're liking the new flow in the tank. I bet all the mushies are happy.

Yay for more shrimp! :)

Crazy morning update

My YWG ended up in my new overflow box with the skimmer pump on the other day. Luckily its got a piece on it that keeps small fish from getting sucked in. Let me know if you figure out how to prevent that happening, because at the moment I'm just hoping my YWG doesn't decide to go adventuring again. Speaking of the YWG, he still has a small white patch on his face but it seems to be slowly getting better. I guess he must have just injured himself during the move, or maybe it was the same thing and he is just managing to stay unstressed and eat a ton so it is actually healing. Either way he seems to be ok. :)

Oh, and beautiful photos as usual :D

I have a VIDEO

Today I sat down to eat my lunch. Glanced over at the tank as saw this action. I still can't figure out if it's a fight or a roll in the hay :lol:

It broke up about 10 seconds after the camera stopped rolling.

I actually haven't done anything to keep them out of the back, too lazy :lol:

They haven't been back there in a while though, maybe they got it out of their systems :P

I hope mine doesn't have it IN his system!!!!!!

Speaking of the YWG, he still has a small white patch on his face but it seems to be slowly getting better. I guess he must have just injured himself during the move, or maybe it was the same thing and he is just managing to stay unstressed and eat a ton so it is actually healing. Either way he seems to be ok. :)

Oh, and beautiful photos as usual :D

Thanks, Felicia! I'm so glad to hear your YWG is ok!!!! It's really devestating to watch them deteriorate like that!!!!!

I went to the LFS and got a bunch of new things for the FW.

I got a otocinclus (sp?) algae eater. 1 albino cory cat. 2 more cherry shrimp that fit the male description. And one long piece of driftwood with this really expensive anubias plant growing on it. Apparently it's "rare". It's a very tiny variety. They were asking $20 but I got them down to $16.99. A little savings is better than no savings :)

I'll get pictures later.

surgicalsense
I have a VIDEO

Today I sat down to eat my lunch. Glanced over at the tank as saw this action. I still can't figure out if it's a fight or a roll in the hay :lol:

It broke up about 10 seconds after the camera stopped rolling.

That is weird and the cleaner is completely curious too.

The pom pom video looked naughty to me :lol: I also love how your cleaner shrimp tried to get in on the action while the goby was being a voyeur. You have the horniest tank ever, Gena! :lol:

Yay for the albino cory cat. Those are one of my favorite fish. Photo time!

Oh, also, I apparently need to get back into freshwater planted tanks considering an expensive, rare plant is only $16. Man if coral were only so cheap. :D

Beautiful!

Is that a 14k look or a 10k look? Or somewhere in between?

You might want to move/remove the corals encroaching on the glass; they distract from the main view.

Love the ric garden! My blasto was odd: doubled from three to six heads in just a couple of weeks, but nothing since then.

:o That's crazy growth!

Ethan is right!!!! That is crazy growth you had with the blastos!!!!! I fed mine again today. It readily ate the shrimp. I hope it grows fingerscrossed

Beautiful!

Is that a 14k look or a 10k look? Or somewhere in between?

You might want to move/remove the corals encroaching on the glass; they distract from the main view.

Thank you!

Nevermore was close...I have 2x 12K White/445nm Blue LED strip

You mean the ricordeas at the front? Not going to happen :lol: I have nowhere to remove them to and I'm not getting rid of them :happy:

They will just have to distract away.

The pom pom video looked naughty to me :lol: I also love how your cleaner shrimp tried to get in on the action while the goby was being a voyeur. You have the horniest tank ever, Gena! :lol:

Yay for the albino cory cat. Those are one of my favorite fish. Photo time!

Oh, also, I apparently need to get back into freshwater planted tanks considering an expensive, rare plant is only $16. Man if coral were only so cheap. :D

Picture time!!!!!!!!

I took these last night but didn't get a chance to put them on until now :)

newfwguys8.jpg

newfwguys7.jpg

newfwguys6.jpg

newfwguys5.jpg

newfwguys4.jpg

newfwguys2.jpg

newfwguys.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the algae eater because he looked really pathetic last night. I was sure I'd find him dead this morning. But...he's still alive. He's not moving much and breathing fast. Was doing that last night too. We'll see how he fairs. I don't have a lot of hope for him.

I'll end with a couple of reef pictures since this is my reef tank thread :)

gobes3.jpg

gobes2.jpg

Enough reef pics, more fw pics! :wub:

You know...it's so much easier to photograph freshwater tanks!!!! I think it has everything to do with lighting. Actually, I take that back. The little to no water movement probably makes a difference too.

Archived