Pod Your Reef

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
what's this MB7?? does it kill hair algae??

It's a bottle of bacteria :lol:. It doesn't kill it, but produces the bacteria to compete with nitrates and inadvertently starve the algae of "food". That's the bare bones, in a nutshell, explanation...and if I'm remembering correctly :lol: Do a search on it!!!!!

Saw this at the mall and thought of you :) !

marilyn.bmp

Love it!!!! She has some great quotes :) My favorite photo of her ever is her with hardly any makeup on, hair pulled back, wearing a conservative lace blouse. Nothing sexy about the photo, just pure beauty. I have the poster still hanging up in my childhood bedroom. I want the poster, but my mom loves it and still wants it hanging there. It's been hanging for about 25 years now :lol:

So....some news on this tank!!!!! I'm not going to take it down!!!!! I will be replacing all the rock with the rock from my 10g macro tank. There's not much coral left in here now. Just the open brain, some xenia, tons of gsp/gorgonian, a sponge and some blue polyps and tubbs blue zoas. The rock I'll be putting in has some corals on it as well. I will not be adding coral to this tank, it will strictly be a grow out of what's already there. I do not want to give up my B/W clownfish which is why I'm keeping this tank going. So it will live on...only revamped. It will look completely different from when it was the TOTM :)

Love it!!!! She has some great quotes :) My favorite photo of her ever is her with hardly any makeup on, hair pulled back, wearing a conservative lace blouse. Nothing sexy about the photo, just pure beauty. I have the poster still hanging up in my childhood bedroom. I want the poster, but my mom loves it and still wants it hanging there. It's been hanging for about 25 years now :lol:

So....some news on this tank!!!!! I'm not going to take it down!!!!! I will be replacing all the rock with the rock from my 10g macro tank. There's not much coral left in here now. Just the open brain, some xenia, tons of gsp/gorgonian, a sponge and some blue polyps and tubbs blue zoas. The rock I'll be putting in has some corals on it as well. I will not be adding coral to this tank, it will strictly be a grow out of what's already there. I do not want to give up my B/W clownfish which is why I'm keeping this tank going. So it will live on...only revamped. It will look completely different from when it was the TOTM :)

Way cool! I think that most of us were hoping you'd do that!!!!

New Beginnings!

FTS 8-17-12

nc12reboot.jpg

nc12reboot2.jpg

nc12reboot3.jpg

nc12reboot4.jpg

New rock. Same sand. Lots of coralline algae that I love :wub:

All critters are the same except the only fish is the B/W clown. That's how it will stay. She's VERY protective of her brain coral. She flips her tail and bites at anything that comes near to it.

The only corals are a tiny frag of devils hand, some blue cloves, 3 varieties of zoanthids, bright green clove (1 polyp right now), cabbage leather, and a tiny toadstool, kenya tree. A few varieties of macro. The back wall has GSP or bright green gorgonian that looks like GSP. It hasn't opened but a few polyps since I did the major makeover. It will look nice when it opens up again.

I'll probably only update photos with significant growth every few months or so. It will be fun to watch the coral growth in here for sure :)

Still having algae problems in this one?

NOPE! That rock is history :lol:

Way cool! I think that most of us were hoping you'd do that!!!!

One other new thing here...I have an ATO on this tank now. I can't fill it up as high because of that, but it's so nice to have on this tank!!!!!!

NOPE! That rock is history :lol:

One other new thing here...I have an ATO on this tank now. I can't fill it up as high because of that, but it's so nice to have on this tank!!!!!!

Glad you're keeping it and the princess clown.

That clown cracks me up everytime, I want to tell it, "get out of that, why would you think its an anemone?"

Macro / brain tank will be really cool.

Looselyhuman

I had the same problem w/my old NC12 until I started using the plastic overflow cover for the intake to the sump area. This allowed my back chambers to be a lower level than the display area and so the ATO in the back had plenty of room to work with - and it was really sensitive because water level changes only affect the back so it happens sooner. I do recommend a timer to reset it every 12 hours or so.

You probably know all this but JIC.

Glad you're keeping it and the princess clown.

She's a very spoiled princess :)

That clown cracks me up everytime, I want to tell it, "get out of that, why would you think its an anemone?"

Macro / brain tank will be really cool.

Oh...they LOVE each other!!!!! The brain couldn't be happier to have it's companion and vice versa :lol:

I'm excited about the restart on this tank. I go back and forth between staring at this one and my 28g. Even though they are both softy/macro tanks...the lighting is so drastic between the two to make them seem very different from each other.

I had the same problem w/my old NC12 until I started using the plastic overflow cover for the intake to the sump area. This allowed my back chambers to be a lower level than the display area and so the ATO in the back had plenty of room to work with - and it was really sensitive because water level changes only affect the back so it happens sooner. I do recommend a timer to reset it every 12 hours or so.

You probably know all this but JIC.

I removed my surface skimmer because it kept moving on it's own. With the ATO on it now, I was afraid to have something bad happen if the skimmer readjusted itself when I wasn't around. It works out ok this way for me. I have noticed the water in the display creeps up during the week but the back chambers stay level. It confuses me :lol: As long as the salinity is stable, that's all I care about.

Looselyhuman
I removed my surface skimmer because it kept moving on it's own. With the ATO on it now, I was afraid to have something bad happen if the skimmer readjusted itself when I wasn't around. It works out ok this way for me. I have noticed the water in the display creeps up during the week but the back chambers stay level. It confuses me :lol: As long as the salinity is stable, that's all I care about.

I remember that happening too. I think it got better when I upgraded the return pump. It needs a good amount of flow to keep it in place. Or superglue. :P But yeah stability is good.

I remember that happening too. I think it got better when I upgraded the return pump. It needs a good amount of flow to keep it in place. Or superglue. :P But yeah stability is good.

I thought about using super glue but so far the surface isn't building up with scum. I won't do anything until that happens. I think my problem was mostly snails bumping it out of place!!!!!

Looselyhuman
I thought about using super glue but so far the surface isn't building up with scum. I won't do anything until that happens. I think my problem was mostly snails bumping it out of place!!!!!

Those bastids.

• 4 weeks later...

It's update time!!!!! I have a few new things in here. My free gorgonian from Sealife inc. that I added a couple of weeks ago. And my newly free frag of red digitata from Morgan, that was added today. The tank is doing really well. Things are growing great (even with my salinity snafu). The coralline algae is out of control. I'd scrape it, but I'm lazy :rolleyes: The tank looks nothing like it's old self, save for my b/w clown and her beloved open brain coral. And one GBG.

FTS 9-19-12

091912no1_zpsc76dc7b1.jpg

Free digi from Morgan:

091912no2_zpsdf414dbb.jpg

Orange zoas from builderanthony are growing a lot:

091912no6_zps127377ad.jpg

Hawaiian PPE that I moved in here cuz the sexies were bothering them in the 28g. They love it in here:

091912no5_zpsf3656e3b.jpg

She's still the "one" :wub:

091912no4_zps7578418e.jpg

I'm keeping this tank going just for her :happy:

:wub: This tank makes me nostalgiac for my NC12... The coralline on the overflow - I can almost feel it with the bamboo skewer I used to use to keep it open. :) I love that you're keeping it going for her.

How old is that GBG btw?

:wub: This tank makes me nostalgiac for my NC12... The coralline on the overflow - I can almost feel it with the bamboo skewer I used to use to keep it open. :) I love that you're keeping it going for her.

How old is that GBG btw?

It's been a great tank for me :) Do you have any photos of yours????

Gosh....how old....oh, I remember, got them in December of last year so 9 months plus. The name Christmas goby reminded me that I got them right before Christmas. :happy: Maybe I should get him a new mate. Only thing is, my b/w clown harasses him as it is. I think I'll just stick with those two.

It's been a great tank for me :) Do you have any photos of yours????

Gosh....how old....oh, I remember, got them in December of last year so 9 months plus. The name Christmas goby reminded me that I got them right before Christmas. :happy: Maybe I should get him a new mate. Only thing is, my b/w clown harasses him as it is. I think I'll just stick with those two.

Oh I thought he might be older. Hoping they live a couple years at least, but I've heard mixed reports. Two might be able to share the clown harassment but it's hard to say...

So, I was pretty bad about pics. Here are some from about halfway through the second iteration - hope you don't mind a mini dump. And excuse the algae - this tank was on autopilot. B) There are also a couple more in the first post of my build thread (one from a little later).

PICT2082_zpsbb9fd468.jpg

PICT2088_zps0f3f7008.jpg

PICT2089_zps3b5c8cc8.jpg

PICT2099_zps5f74afbc.jpg

PICT2142_zpseef6fc08.jpg

PICT2167_zps7febeaef.jpg

Great looking tank Gena! I've never had luck with coraline. Always had a small amount but nothing crazy. My current NC has maybe 2% coraline and it's from the frags I add from other's tanks lol. I just want it on my rocks!

Archived