Pod Your Reef

my "CUSTOM"SeaLife 30" DUAL 70w MH retro conversion

KrackerG

Can I get tempered glass at Michael's ? If not, any suggestions on where to get custom cut tempered UV glass?

I guess I don't have to run the 150W, but I really like it and I don't think I'm up for changing to 70W at least for now. I did just get a new 30 L tank (yes, I'm addicted) that I have to figure out lighting for. I was actually thinking about 2 150W :) Maybe I can steal the 150W from this hood and just buy a new 70W and another 150W.

I'll try those fans. Hopefully that plus tempered glass will solve the problem.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work. I would like to do a similar modification to my CSL. I would like to add two 250w DE MH bulbs to a 48" CSL hood. Does anyone think I'll have a heat problem or glass cracking problem due to the higher wattage bulbs?

Damn i got a coralife 2-65 watt pc hood and there no room for a 70 watt mh darn. I think its to compact so the mh bulb might touch the uv glass...

Whats the dimensions of the metal halide hqi bulb and the holder thing?(l*w*h)

If its able to fit in the middle, then all you got to do its buy a retrofit kit from like drlamp if hes still around

• 1 month later...

Is your CSL fixture plastic or metal? Mine is the new Current-USA and is plastic. Just wondering if heat is an issue with the shell being plastic?

• 3 weeks later...
Domino_Tang

Nice tank Fixtures lets see your tank in action ..

Tank Shots

System shots

Sumps filters! Stuff like that always intrested in way people make up to make there tank there own!

Laters guy..

Domino_Tang

Tank Shots

System shots

Sumps filters! Stuff like that always intrested in way people make up to make there tank there own!

Laters guy..

Domino_Tang

Tank Shots

System shots

Laters guy..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kracker , By any chance are you building and selling custom made lighting fixtures . Just asking for those of us that don't want to kill ourselfs or burn the house down !

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about setting up a nano with a MH setup much like what you did...

I live in toronto, and where can i get in tor/online... cheapest bulbs? either 70W or 150W...

thanx

Just FYI those vantec fans on page 5 are LOUD...and i mean make you wanna die loud.

I had some 60mm fans that were 44dB and you could hear them across 2 rooms and those fans your talking about are 55dB:o

oh yeah can we see some pics with this light setup.

I am thinking of doing a 70 or 150w halide with a single or dual 32w actinic's on my new tank and im wondering what the color is gonna be like, how high you have them over the tank and what kind of temp increase your seeing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to thank KrackerG for helping me with the CSL Mod. I modified a 30-inch CSL hood with a single 150 hqi. The modified fixture has been running close to six months with on a 29 gallon tank. Coral growth has been good with a 10k-150W MH, a normal actinic bulb 65W PC, and a 03 actinic bulb for the other 65W PC. I keep mostly zoos and leather corals and have added a small blue maxima clam and RBTA since modifying the light.

I didn't like how close the halide bulb was to the glass when it was mounted on the surface of the reflector. It seemed like this would be an issue with breaking glass so I recessed the socket into the reflector. I then took a reflector out of a regent fixture that I had around and cut it to fit under the halide socket (see picture). I think this turned out pretty nice and keeps the bulb a could inches away from the glass shield.

By the way, tempered glass is necessary with this mod. I broke two regular glass shields due to heat while I was waiting for my tempered glass to come in. One glass break occured because my fans weren't on and the other occured due to normal operation. I am running a dusk to dawn timing sequence. The fans are set on the timer to turn on with the halide light. While the fan is running the fixture is cooler than when both PCs are on with no fan. My tank stays right around 79-82 degrees depending on house temperatures. I have an open top (with egg crate to keep fish in the tank) which helps prevent the tank from overheating.

Anyway, here are the pics:

tanklight_sm.jpg

tanklighthalide_sm.jpg

tanklighthalide2_sm.jpg

tanklightnewwires_sm.jpg

I also modified the PC light connectors by cutting the stock connector and adding molex connectors so that I can use either straight or square pin bulbs. Here's the pics of the modified power compact connector:

molex_sm.jpg

molex2_sm.jpg

Archived