Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

my "CUSTOM"SeaLife 30" DUAL 70w MH retro conversion

KrackerG

forget all the switches. NO SWITCH ON THE MH! I used the 2 existing PC switches and made one control all the fans and the other control the moon. The Power Compacts are now hardwired. You don't want to use a switch on the MH unless it's a big switch. Switches give the wiring one more place to go bad at. And if you use too small of a switch, you may be looking at a meltdown. Think solid connections... whenever possible.

NEW DIAGRAM IS PERFECT!! THAT'S MINE!!!

Computer power supply is neat for doing all the connections in and keeps everything tidy. Not necessary but I would use one if possible.

Beermu--- be my guest...your on your own using plexiglas under MH...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool. I didn't like the idea of dealing with all those switches anyway. :) Well, now I just have to get all the supplies and maybe I can give it a shot this weekend.

a 175 bulb is bigger. so a different socket will be needed... Nice stuff Guys.. I wanna throw this spare 70watter here in at work now! *(_&^#$ You , as if I didn't have enough things on my plate already :D

Hmm, would a 150W be closer to the 70W? Looking around online seems like they don't make an "HQI" (doubled ended) 175W, only 70W, 150W, and 250W?

Posting as Manwe:

How did you attach the ballast to the power supply box? Tried drilling but the metal is too thick for the drill. Think an epoxy will work?

Other than that everything else is coming along fine. Just need a bulb to see if it works. :)

Parts Lists:

2 NAIS Aromat M7012-27CK-5EUF Electronic Ballasts eBay..??? $100

2 Catalina DE 70 watt Metal Halide 10,000K bulbs PSL Jim:)) $50

1 Custom SeaLife 65 watt Ultra Actinic blue bulb anywhere (LFS) $32

2 Commercial Electronics Worklights 500v sockets Home Depot $20

1 14/4 (14 gauge/4 pair) 600v power wire - 8' Home Depot $ 8

1 UV blocking glass 97% (some use 45% @ $6) Michael's $30

1 large ATX power supply case Computer store $ 0

2 computer power cables same as above $ 2

3 12 volt quiet case fans 80mm (3") Vantec same as above $15

1 12 volt power transformer 500mAh output Radio Shack $ 8

$285...... CAN THIS BE RIGHT?? ? ??

Equipment Needed:

1 drill (various bits)

1 soldering iron (and solder)

1 electrical tape

bunch of various screws

some extra small wires for fans

THATS IT!:P

Has anyone done extensive online price shopping for the ballast, bulbs, and mounting fixture? I already have a pc light and the other stuff is small potatoes. I need to know how little I could actually do this for. This thread would be an excellent place to post links to diy sources for this project.

Wow, this mod answers my prayers! I have the 30" CSL over my 40 tall, and while it's fine for soft corals I definitely want to upgrade. And since 30" is such an odd size it was seeming easier to just start a whole new tank. Now I can incorporate MH without making a custom hood or the expense of a new tank. Thanks a ton!

Reefer_Buddha

got the ballast and wired it up, halide fired up like a charm. WPI is garbage, never again. My new addition looks even better under halide, Green Jewel Mushroom. Ill drop some pics when i get my new digital camera. Thanks again man, halide is a nasty addiction, good to have it back again *rubbing arm* :P

are you talking about...:

1 12 volt power transformer 500mAh output Radio Shack $ 8

it's sole purpose is to power the fans (all 3 in my case) and I run my LED moon off it too!! positive and negative...just 2 wires...:P

So I finished my 24" this weekend. :) I've now got 150W halide + 2x65W PCs. Very cool. The tank tlooks great with the halides on, but I'm only running them for shotr periods (15-30) a couple of times a day so I give the corals some time to adjust to the new lighting.

I did run into one concerning thing though. A couple of times (maybe 2 out of 7), after the halide is plugged in and running for maybe 30 seconds or so, the power strip shuts down (not sure of the electrical term, but the red switch flips off). That has me very worried that something may be wired wrong. Any ideas why this would happen? Could it just be that I have too many things on that circuit now? Here's what I've got:

2 65W PCs (2 plugs)

1 150W MH (1 plugs)

1 100W heater (1 plug)

moonlights (1 transformer 12V or less)

1 Aquaclear Mini (1 transformer)

1 Aquaclear 500 "fuge" (1 transformer)

1 Power Head (1 plug)

1 Phone (1 transformer)

I think that's all. I've got two powerstrips in two completely different outlets (although they are both on the same circuit I would guess). It's a lot of stuff, I assume that I'm just overloading, but I'm not sure if I have a plug on a different cicuit close enough to use.

Any suggestions?

It looks pretty much exactly like the other pics in this thread, except the socket for the 150W is bigger and there is only one of course. :)

You can't tell there is any mod done from the outside unless you follow the power cable down to see the PC power supply (thinking about spray painting it black). :) The heat from the 150W has been a little concerning, but since I'm only running it for very short periods of time while my corals acclimate, it hasn't really been an issue yet. That glass gets pretty hot though. I still haven't added the second fan in the hood yet because I fried one of the ones I bought (stupidity).

When I put the second fan in (maybe this weekend), I'll try to dig out the camera and take a couple of pics if you want.

NOTE: Kind of funny story on burning out the fan. Stupid me decides to try to wire the PC fan directly into the power cord like the existing fan. One problem. The existing fan is 120V not 12V like the PC fan. Misread the specs. Anyway, result was a pretty spectacular POP! complete with smoke and the obligatory "are you sure you know what you're doing" look from the wife. :) I'm still alive though and didn't burn my place down. Lesson learned.

Originally posted by manwe

...PC power supply (thinking about spray painting it black). :)

good idea! but how about painting it "reef" related colors...like various shades of blue simulating waves and water...?? or maybe spatter painted?

... The heat from the 150W has been a little concerning, but since I'm only running it for very short periods of time while my corals acclimate, it hasn't really been an issue yet. That glass gets pretty hot though. I still haven't added the second fan in the hood yet because I fried one of the ones I bought (stupidity).  

When I put the second fan in (maybe this weekend), I'll try to dig out the camera and take a couple of pics if you want.

was gonna say...did you do the fan modd...?? i wouldn't run the MH w/o 2 fans...and have them running at 12v. just wait until you get good high CFM rated fans before continuing running it...loudness should be the second criteria...

NOTE: Kind of funny story on burning out the fan. Stupid me decides to try to wire the PC fan directly into the power cord like the existing fan. One problem. The existing fan is 120V not 12V like the PC fan. Misread the specs. Anyway, result was a pretty spectacular POP! complete with smoke and the obligatory "are you sure you know what you're doing" look from the wife. :) I'm still alive though and didn't burn my place down. Lesson learned.

OUCHY!!X) BE CAREFUL PEOPLE... its not the volts that will hurt you...it's the amps. your house is prob. runnin' 15A breakers...all it takes is 1 amp to kill.:*(

speakeraddict

Actually, 50 mils kills.

In reality you can get killed, if you are grounded well enough, by a 50 milliamp current jolt at only around 110V. This has been proven, though not very likely. The point is - PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL.

To the guy who posted about being a nube and not even knowing what a ballast was - please don't DIY a light fixture until you study. We don't want to have to have a section of the forum for widows of nano-reefers.

KrackerG - your list has the catalina bulbs. How well do they work? I heard horror stories about inconsistent firing.

speakeraddict

oh, is it only 50 that will put you down?? i'll take your word for it!:P well said speakeraddict... that is my biggest fear about posting this info...that someone who really doesn't know anything about electricity goes and gets wacked. not trying to say you have to be an electrician, but general electical knowledge is a must...you have to at least know positive and negative.:P

i like the Catalinas... can't beat the price at $25. its been about 3 months so far...still going strong!

speakeraddict

Thanks for the input on the bulbs. Guess I will go ahead and get one for my 10 gallon nano.

Been around electronics/electrical work my whole life and been nailed quite a few times. My Brother was a master electrician and had to quit... he got hit so bad his heart stopped. The point? It can happen to professionals too so again, everyone please be careful.

speakeraddict

Just a few questions.

Firstly THANK YOU for posting this mod, KrackerG!! I bought a CSL a few months ago when I had no idea what I was doing. I was thinking of selling because I now know I want MH.

Is that 150w MH an HQI, manwe? I have a 24" CSL on a 15g right now. Thinking of making it a 20g once I upgrade to MH.

Would you reccomend a 70w or 150w or 2 70w MH on a 20g? Does the 150w allow space for the moonlights? I love those moonlights and would like to keep them in the fixture.

Thanks guys!

Archived