ReefCleaners.org

N-R Official Shallow Reef Thread: Post FTS & Link to Yours

AJ_Tsin

Sweet looks awesome Allen.

If you go ATI the t5 bulbs last wayyy longer.

How would a 36" 6 bulb fixture do over this tank?

I see a few used sunpowers available in the $300 range

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would probably get good coverage, depending on the width of the fixture. How wide is a 6-bulb fixture usually? You probably wouldn't be able to keep much on the sides of the tank that the fixture doesn't cover.

How would a 36" 6 bulb fixture do over this tank?

I see a few used sunpowers available in the $300 range

You would probably get good coverage, depending on the width of the fixture. How wide is a 6-bulb fixture usually? You probably wouldn't be able to keep much on the sides of the tank that the fixture doesn't cover.

It is a 36" fixture. I am planning to have one side be fairly open with some softie islands, so I could put it off center a little. Seems like even if I centered it, 6" on each side isn't *that* far to the edge of the tank.

I'm more thinking hang it 2" from one edge, and 10 from the other.

It is a 36" fixture. I am planning to have one side be fairly open with some softie islands, so I could put it off center a little. Seems like even if I centered it, 6" on each side isn't *that* far to the edge of the tank.

I'm more thinking hang it 2" from one edge, and 10 from the other.

Yeah, i know you said 36" fixture, but your tank is 48" long. I'm not sure how good of coverage you will get from it on the sides of your tank.

Yeah, that's my concern. I'm sure I'll get enough light for some softies over there.

I think I'm going to get it, and see.

fishez4alivin

I had a 6 bulb powermodule, upgraded to a 10 bulb on a 36x24x16 tank, and imo, with the 12" height, you should get the 6 bulb SP, 36" over a 48" tank will work, no tank looks good with wall to wall corals, you gotta have a perimeter to clean the glass. Set you aquascape to take advantage, and make sure to have a lot of overhangs, to protect LPS etc....

I upgraded to my current tank, and chose the dimensions to fit the 36x10 powermodule, and even with that in mind, I could have easily gotten a 48x36 tank and lit it properly.

I'm telling you right now from experience, a 10x is WAY too damn much. 6x39 SP would be spot on for it.

I had my 10x39 16" off of the water in a 3x2x1 with only Acroporids and I still cooked everything with a 2 hour photoperiod. There's just way too much light no matter how much you try to do to curb it.

• 4 weeks later...

photo-9.jpg

picture is a little blurry because i had screwed around with the scape. should have some current fts in a few days. waiting for my camera to be delivered!

Well, I fell 16" short of goal, but here's the craigslist special. Pardon the cell pics, and thr blurry slightly lacking water. Middle of the move.

040611213254.jpg

040611213327.jpg

040611213408.jpg

I'll do one better tommorow, and fix the rather depressing tank thread. Taco.

picture is a little blurry because i had screwed around with the scape. should have some current fts in a few days. waiting for my camera to be delivered!

Looks awesome. I like the scape a lot.

Well, I fell 16" short of goal, but here's the craigslist special. Pardon the cell pics, and thr blurry slightly lacking water. Middle of the move.

That looks cool interested to see where this one goes. Good luck with the move.

fishdaddy0831

You guys are killing me. I've been trying to design my perfect aquarium for what seems like years, and then I see awsome tanks like these and I have to rethink it all.

Very nice tanks btw.

• 4 weeks later...

The system has been up for about a week now. It is a transfer from a Nano Cube 28g that had been up and running for about 16 months. Things are a little browned out still and stressed (SPS) from the transfer but I did not experience any sort of mini cycle which is good. This system is in the process of being converted to a full Zeovit system. I’ve had some amazing results with my 40 breeder Zeovit so I wanted to get both systems on Zeovit. Here’s the system specs…

Tank: 24”x24”x12” rimless shallow cube from Advance Acrylics

Sump: Eshopps

Total water volume about 40 gallons

Lighting: NEP T5, soon to be upgraded to 6 bulb ATI

Zeovit Reactor : DIY

Skimmer: Aeroforce from CBR Aquatics

post-50346-1304549875_thumb.jpg

post-50346-1304549900_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: :lol: just some N-R humor..

Pros:

Sexy

Able to view from above

Easier tank maintenance(can easily reach into tank to scape,add/remove livestock)

Cons

shallow(typically lower water volume, less headroom)

Can be trickier to aquascape

Fish jumping is more of a concern if your not using a top

Wow simple to the point and with only a hint of condescension. :slap:

Definitely meant as humor only not insult!

:lol: :lol: just some N-R humor..

Pros:

Sexy

Able to view from above

Easier tank maintenance(can easily reach into tank to scape,add/remove livestock)

Cons

shallow(typically lower water volume, less headroom)

Can be trickier to aquascape

Fish jumping is more of a concern if your not using a top

Hype is pretty much bang on.

The pros are very subjective. I just think they look awesome because of the open scape hence the "sexy." But some may disagree.

Another pro is that you can house some larger fish as there is a far larger footprint so swimming space is more gratuitous, however this doesn't mean you can increase bio-load as the water volume doesn't change. Just means that fish that need more exercise can get it. For instance a 55 gallon 4x12 tank has a footprint of 4 square feet where my 47 gallon shallow has a footprint of 9 square feet. Fish generally swim horizontally so if they need to cruise around a bit they have a whopping 5 more feet to play with even though the water volume is actually 8 gallons less.

Honestly though the main perk is that they look cool and a bit different from your standard rectangular AGA.

Havent really come across any con's other than the potential for fish jumping. Also as Hype mentioned it can be trickier to scape however if you are going the shallow route you probably are doing it for aesthetic reasons in which case you are already a creative and shouldn't have a problem coming up with an aquascape that is inspiring.

It seems to me that you have alot more "real estate" to work with and that would make scaping easier to a degree.

I like what I see with the shallow tanks everything looks cool spread out where as I feel like with my solana everything gets stacked up to an extent.

Archived