Pod Your Reef

N-R Official Shallow Reef Thread: Post FTS & Link to Yours

AJ_Tsin

Here it is folks. A thread for all those beautiful and trendy shallow reefs out there. These open scapes and wide footprints are becoming more and more popular on here and this will be a thread to follow them, ask questions, advice and just share those sweet shallow fts.

Here's what ive been working on:

IMG_2080.jpg

The thread is here.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looked good, why did you tear it down?

I had it set up in my garage. The garage had no temperature control so the nightly evaporation and condensation was causing mold to grow on the walls. It was the lesser of two evils in taking it down. It also opened the door to get a deep dimension tank. In the end it's a win.

Like the new lights. They look good.

I had it set up in my garage. The garage had no temperature control so the nightly evaporation and condensation was causing mold to grow on the walls. It was the lesser of two evils in taking it down. It also opened the door to get a deep dimension tank. In the end it's a win.

Like the new lights. They look good.

True enough good reasoning I guess. Thanks for the light compliment.

i love these rimless shallow reef tanks. such clean lines. what kind of fish can one keep in a shallow "topless" tank? no jumpers!!!

Lots of fish can be kept. I think some of the heavy swimmers can do better in shallow tanks as the footprint is large and they have a lot of room to cruise around. Jumpers can be a problem though. I lost a yellow wrasse to the hardwood floor last fall.

Lets keep the pictures coming folks I know there are some other shallow tanks on here.

Here's mine: Schreiba's ADA 60-F :D

Awesome! Looks great. I love your scape. What's the deal with the mp10 and the sandbed? You get sandstormed?

heres one of mine...nothing special didnt really plan to upload the video just recorded the video for a friend

Haven't watched the whole thing as it was loading slow on my phone but well done. Looks cool mount up those frags and get growing!

Surely there are more shallow tanks on here! Get posting. Also those of you who have already posted suggest the thread to other shallow reefs as you come across them.

I think Shallow Reefs are a really cool tank design and this thread can help people make decisions regarding a move to a Shallow Reef.

Awesome! Looks great. I love your scape. What's the deal with the mp10 and the sandbed? You get sandstormed?

Thanks!! And yeah every time I move the sand back to looking normal it just blows back up into two hills like that haha. I need to try and move the MP10 around to a spot where I don't get sandstorms because I don't really want to turn it down past 50%.

Thanks!! And yeah every time I move the sand back to looking normal it just blows back up into two hills like that haha. I need to try and move the MP10 around to a spot where I don't get sandstorms because I don't really want to turn it down past 50%.

BareBottom is the way!! On my bigger systems, I used to have sandbeds, but here recently I found out how nice it is not to worry about sandstorms and trying to keep the sand spread out.

tank-2.jpg

gotta take some current shots with all the coral! but heres mine!

Awesome I was wondering if you'd turn up in here. Beautiful tank, how do you like the Solaris? Get some coral shots and post em!

I've ran a few different LEDS & i love the solaris. I love trying new things and constantly think about trying other LEDS on the tank but the truth is this light does everything i need it to do and the LEDS are really powerful. It works flawlessly. sunset,sunrise, cloud cover, lunar etc...full % control of both blue and white. PFO hit the spot on the I5 US version. They were the first to get this right...too bad they took the hit from orb...its a shame because they are the people who deserve a lot of the credit for led advancement... i know a few people running solaris i5's and love them just as much as me.

I've had a chance to own/play around/see most of the leds out there - bridgelux chinese leds,maxspect,par38s,ecoxotic strips, pac sun, AI , custom stuff. & the i5 is a solid light.

I am actually running it lower now @ around 80% blue and 35% white ATM because it was bleaching my new corals.. plan to raise 5% a week until i get it around 100% 50%

I'll def update some photos by tomorrow. I changed the scape a bit to allow some room for a clam and other future sand corals.. Its difficult to get nice FTS because the iphone sensor changes so rapidly, its hard to get it to focus correctly. I like the bluer spectrum for photos.

the 24" solaris covers the 36x18 footprint for me pretty well when its running 100% and 50% white.. but atm it has larger dark edges than usual on both sides because im running it at lower %'s

heres some of the new additions..

corals.jpg

Haven't watched the whole thing as it was loading slow on my phone but well done. Looks cool mount up those frags and get growing!

most of the frags are sold...thats our 125 shallow display at the shop...we were waiting on a 72" coral tank from advance acrylics

I'll def update some photos by tomorrow. I changed the scape a bit to allow some room for a clam and other future sand corals.. Its difficult to get nice FTS because the iphone sensor changes so rapidly, its hard to get it to focus correctly. I like the bluer spectrum for photos.

We'll hold you to that picture promise. Thanks for the insight on the Light thats good to hear its performing well. I agree the iPhone can be a bit tricky to get a good shot with. Looks good excited to see the new shots

My link and FTS is in my signature. Just click the picture.

Great thread idea AJ.

I love the shallow cubes!

Awesome! Good to have you post in here. This thread really has some amazing reefs! Good job everyone. Keep em coming.

most of the frags are sold...thats our 125 shallow display at the shop...we were waiting on a 72" coral tank from advance acrylics

Niceeeeeee.

Archived