SaltCritters.com

N-R Official Shallow Reef Thread: Post FTS & Link to Yours

AJ_Tsin

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely meant as humor only not insult!

Hype is pretty much bang on.

The pros are very subjective. I just think they look awesome because of the open scape hence the "sexy." But some may disagree.

Another pro is that you can house some larger fish as there is a far larger footprint so swimming space is more gratuitous, however this doesn't mean you can increase bio-load as the water volume doesn't change. Just means that fish that need more exercise can get it. For instance a 55 gallon 4x12 tank has a footprint of 4 square feet where my 47 gallon shallow has a footprint of 9 square feet. Fish generally swim horizontally so if they need to cruise around a bit they have a whopping 5 more feet to play with even though the water volume is actually 8 gallons less.

Honestly though the main perk is that they look cool and a bit different from your standard rectangular AGA.

Havent really come across any con's other than the potential for fish jumping. Also as Hype mentioned it can be trickier to scape however if you are going the shallow route you probably are doing it for aesthetic reasons in which case you are already a creative and shouldn't have a problem coming up with an aquascape that is inspiring.

I am a rimless tank apologist so i deal with the jumpers...I actually made a plexi top that covers a couple inches along my edges. Still looks clean and have yet to lose a fishy since I put it on(knock on wood).

That footprint makes it seem so much more natural IMO.

Do you build a higher stand to accomadate side viewing?

• 8 months later...

I feel like more people shared pics on the 'other new thread' lol. I wish I could get some one to combine them. Any ideas? There's some really cool stuff on there.

Anyway, heres mine (needs update w new stuff):

A85F4AF0-0B21-4719-9371-22F5F9CE383D.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm thinking about setting up one of the deep blue frag tanks (24x24x12) but I wonder about viewing the tank from across the room when the tank is so shallow.. Does it get annoying, or do you feel like it's harder to see your livestock?

I'm thinking about setting up one of the deep blue frag tanks (24x24x12) but I wonder about viewing the tank from across the room when the tank is so shallow.. Does it get annoying, or do you feel like it's harder to see your livestock?

No difference... my tank is only 10" and I don't have issues. Most visitors to my house find the low profile more appealing.

I love shallow tanks. It's too bad I didn't set one up... And I still might. Most of my favorite corals at te moment are brains, scolies, acans, and things like torches/hammers. Most would do exceedingly well in a shallow tank, and not as much in my Elos Mini. :lol:

• 3 months later...

I just want to give you guys a heads up of my build, since I've been following this thread from the start. But first, a few things:

Shallow tanks are the way to go. They're sexy, easier to manage, and sexy. I like all the tanks on this thread, and I think each one has it's own appeal.

Now personally, I've always loved long tanks. I've also never had an aquarium bigger than 10 gallons, so my next tank should be quite a step up.

I have been slowly piecing together a tank bit by bit for about 3 months now. This tank will last me throughout the end of my senior year in college. I'm going to love it, care for it, and most importantly, use it as a means to bring girls back to my room...

Stay with me here -Scenario- Oh, you've never seen a clownfish before? What a coincidence! I have one in my room! Lets go there nooowww....

Ok. Back to the tank.

I know everyone here is familiar with a 40 breeder. But does anyone remember the 30 breeder? They made it for a few years, but stopped because it was so close to the 40, and everyone went with the 40 anyways.

I've been searching for almost half a year now for the 30 breeder. I finally found one on Glasscages.

It's gonna be rimless. It's gonna be sexy. It's gonna be 30 gallons of sweet salty goodness.

I would definitely define it as a shallow tank. The dimensions are 36X18X12. THATS AWESOME. That's a pretty large footprint. A heck of a lot bigger than the 10g AGA.

I just wanted to let you guys know... It's coming.. In a big big way! I'll keep you posted on the status, and I'll definitely have a build thread here pretty soon.

First I gotta get the tank... <_<

I just want to give you guys a heads up of my build, since I've been following this thread from the start. But first, a few things:

Shallow tanks are the way to go. They're sexy, easier to manage, and sexy. I like all the tanks on this thread, and I think each one has it's own appeal.

Now personally, I've always loved long tanks. I've also never had an aquarium bigger than 10 gallons, so my next tank should be quite a step up.

I have been slowly piecing together a tank bit by bit for about 3 months now. This tank will last me throughout the end of my senior year in college. I'm going to love it, care for it, and most importantly, use it as a means to bring girls back to my room...

Stay with me here -Scenario- Oh, you've never seen a clownfish before? What a coincidence! I have one in my room! Lets go there nooowww....

Ok. Back to the tank.

I know everyone here is familiar with a 40 breeder. But does anyone remember the 30 breeder? They made it for a few years, but stopped because it was so close to the 40, and everyone went with the 40 anyways.

I've been searching for almost half a year now for the 30 breeder. I finally found one on Glasscages.

It's gonna be rimless. It's gonna be sexy. It's gonna be 30 gallons of sweet salty goodness.

I would definitely define it as a shallow tank. The dimensions are 36X18X12. THATS AWESOME. That's a pretty large footprint. A heck of a lot bigger than the 10g AGA.

I just wanted to let you guys know... It's coming.. In a big big way! I'll keep you posted on the status, and I'll definitely have a build thread here pretty soon.

First I gotta get the tank... <_<

Stop wasting my email capacity

• 1 year later...

Archived