ReefCleaners.org

N-R Official Shallow Reef Thread: Post FTS & Link to Yours

AJ_Tsin

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tank-3.jpg

Heres a picture i took today, i dont know why but the iphones sensor is like either WINDEX blue like my sig or faded out white so i did a bs iphone "hdr" and kinda fooled around in photoshop for a minute. truthfully have to get a real camera to take new photos. obviously some of the colors are off lol and incorrect after pressing a ton of contrast/color replacement things lol.. ill take some pics of the corals and update my thread though

i added literally 10-15 frags within the week.

bunch of dif sps, and a ####load of 1-10polyp frags ill have to add in various spots.

really difficult to take nice photos..

Oh Shiiiiit Jonny that is an amazing picture!! Everything looks so awesome! I mean, even before when it was blue it looked amazing but now you can see the true colors of the coral and the colors on the rocks! Great setup dude! Kind of makes me sad i sold that beast.

• 2 weeks later...

So what qualifies a reef as "shallow"? I assume some type of width to height ratio?

Just curious. Been wanting to start a shallow reef for some time, just need to find the right price on the right equipment.

What lighting is everyone running?

I would say anything less than 20-22" tall and going to be wider than a normal tank

Yea something like that. Id say less than 20" for sure... even that seems a bit standard most of the tanks on here are 12-16 inches deep and the width is usually around 3x the height.

BTW I am running an 8x24 ATI Powermodule T5 on mine.

I guess there is no set definition as to what qualifies a "shallow" tank, but i like to think it's 15 inches or less. I wouldn't consider 40B's shallow tanks, and i don't think many people do.. So that's where the cut off lies for me.

I guess there is no set definition as to what qualifies a "shallow" tank, but i like to think it's 15 inches or less. I wouldn't consider 40B's shallow tanks, and i don't think many people do.. So that's where the cut off lies for me.

I tend to agree.

Poll??

Personally, I feel "shallow" is to do with all of the dimensions of a tank. Obviously needs to be deeper than it is tall and of a certain ratio of height to width (5:2 x:y seems a good starting point) to give it a proper "deep" perspective which would seem genuinely shallow. This precludes things which are of standard dimensions like 180s and 40Bs, which... well, don't really seem very shallow.

I had a shallow tank for about a week...? :mellow:

I agree with n0rk. It depends on all of the dimensions. I wouldn't really consider a 10G AGA tank a "shallow" tank either, even though it is 12" high.

So your saying an 8ft tank wouldn't be considered shallow if it was 2ft tall?

With exceptions of course. Because no, i would not consider an 8ft tank shallow if it was 2ft tall. 2ft tall is NOT shallow. It's 2ft. Duh.

Check this out:

I was thinking of getting a 18" deep tank, putting a 4" sand bed in it, and build a stand that came up around the tank, so that only 15" of the tank is exposed. It was NOT going to look like a 3" trim on the tank, but more of a flush look. Would that count? Lol, like it matters. Seriously, I was considering doing this to get a DSB, with a shallow tank look. Sounded cool, but I can't build, so I think I'll just not bother.

Archived