Cultivated Reef

N-R Official Shallow Reef Thread: Post FTS & Link to Yours

AJ_Tsin

Its all relative to perspective. Any tank that has the dimisions of 4 to 1 or 3 to 1 is going to look shallow when you look at the tank as a whole. To say that a tank isn't shallow when it has a 4 to 1 aspect ratio just because in your opinion 2" isn't deep is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Are you also going to say that the big petting tanks at aquariums aren't shallow because they have more than 2ft of water in them? I think you need to come off of whatever overturned milk crate you are standing on and get over yourself and realize its not the measurments but the ratio of length to height that make a tank shallow.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its all relative to perspective. Any tank that has the dimisions of 4 to 1 or 3 to 1 is going to look shallow when you look at the tank as a whole. To say that a tank isn't shallow when it has a 4 to 1 aspect ratio just because in your opinion 2" isn't deep is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Are you also going to say that the big petting tanks at aquariums aren't shallow because they have more than 2ft of water in them? I think you need to come off of whatever overturned milk crate you are standing on and get over yourself and realize its not the measurments but the ratio of length to height that make a tank shallow.

I think you need to take that cueball out your ass. No one here is on an "overturned milk crate" trying to preach what is shallow and what is not.

Do you see any petting tanks in this forum? Do you see any 8ft tanks in this forum? This here, is called NANO-REEF.com. Most tanks here are under 50G's. The larger tanks are in the Large Tank forum. And EVEN those large tanks that consider themselves to be shallow, are pretty much under 16" for the most part. If we were on a communal forum where NANO was not being emphasized as it clearly is at this forum, then yes, you would be right in thinking a shallow tank is defined by it's depth to height ratio.

But we are on a forum dedicated to nano reefs, and we believe shallow is defined as being under 16" with a minimum of 3:1 W:H ratio. If you don't like it, don't ####ing post. Now stop dirtying our thread with your righteous "save all the shallow tanks" crap. This thread is supposed to have pictures of all the shallow tanks in this sub-forum. Not your lectures on what defines a shallow tank.

I think you need to take that cueball out your ass. No one here is on an "overturned milk crate" trying to preach what is shallow and what is not.

Do you see any petting tanks in this forum? Do you see any 8ft tanks in this forum? This here, is called NANO-REEF.com. Most tanks here are under 50G's. The larger tanks are in the Large Tank forum. And EVEN those large tanks that consider themselves to be shallow, are pretty much under 16" for the most part. If we were on a communal forum where NANO was not being emphasized as it clearly is at this forum, then yes, you would be right in thinking a shallow tank is defined by it's depth to height ratio.

But we are on a forum dedicated to nano reefs, and we believe shallow is defined as being under 16" with a minimum of 3:1 W:H ratio. If you don't like it, don't ####ing post. Now stop dirtying our thread with your righteous "save all the shallow tanks" crap. This thread is supposed to have pictures of all the shallow tanks in this sub-forum. Not your lectures on what defines a shallow tank.

GFY Noob

Check this out:

I was thinking of getting a 18" deep tank, putting a 4" sand bed in it, and build a stand that came up around the tank, so that only 15" of the tank is exposed. It was NOT going to look like a 3" trim on the tank, but more of a flush look. Would that count? Lol, like it matters. Seriously, I was considering doing this to get a DSB, with a shallow tank look. Sounded cool, but I can't build, so I think I'll just not bother.

That sounds like a sweet idea! Post here when you have it set up.

I am gonna pretend the last page didn't happen. It's subjective, use rational thought when deciding if your tank is shallow or not. People keep posting your shallow reefs there's gotta be more on here.

That sounds like a sweet idea! Post here when you have it set up.

I am gonna pretend the last page didn't happen. It's subjective, use rational thought when deciding if your tank is shallow or not. People keep posting your shallow reefs there's gotta be more on here.

Well, like I said at the end of the post...I'm not so inclined to build the stand, so I may not do it. We'll see.

Question about your tank: What setting to you have the MP10 on, so that it isn't blowing sand all over?

I'll be posting a little something here in a month or two...

36"x36"x16" with an external overflow and quad returns so I don't have any pesky wet sides in the tank. Maybe a rockwall, not sure that would matter. I'm in love :).

Worthless with out pictures though, I know. I'm still debating the light situation in the mean time.

Well, like I said at the end of the post...I'm not so inclined to build the stand, so I may not do it. We'll see.

Question about your tank: What setting to you have the MP10 on, so that it isn't blowing sand all over?

I have it on short pulse mode. It is balanced very carefully to get a wave motion while not blasting the sand around.

I'll be posting a little something here in a month or two...

36"x36"x16" with an external overflow and quad returns so I don't have any pesky wet sides in the tank. Maybe a rockwall, not sure that would matter. I'm in love :).

Worthless with out pictures though, I know. I'm still debating the light situation in the mean time.

Look forward to seeing pictures of it!

Well, I've just arranged to get a second hand Advanced Acrylics 48x24x12, which should pass all shallow muster. I had seen it on RC a while back, but the guys is in Southern Cal (I'm in Northen Cal). I'm going to Disneyland with the kids in a couple weeks, and we came to an agreement for me to get it while I am down there. Gonna be a long time coming (need to start cycling some rock, build a stand, and get some lighting), but it should be sweet.

Anyone have any lighting advise? I really eanted to go LED, but from what I am seeing, most of the fixtures out there don't cover a real wide area. I don't want to get two fixtures and turn them both down to 60%, just seems silly.

Well, I've just arranged to get a second hand Advanced Acrylics 48x24x12, which should pass all shallow muster. I had seen it on RC a while back, but the guys is in Southern Cal (I'm in Northen Cal). I'm going to Disneyland with the kids in a couple weeks, and we came to an agreement for me to get it while I am down there. Gonna be a long time coming (need to start cycling some rock, build a stand, and get some lighting), but it should be sweet.

Anyone have any lighting advise? I really eanted to go LED, but from what I am seeing, most of the fixtures out there don't cover a real wide area. I don't want to get two fixtures and turn them both down to 60%, just seems silly.

You could go T5?

You could go T5?

True, I was just hoping to save some bulb money. 6 bulbs x 25 ea 3 times every two years minimum = $$$

True, I was just hoping to save some bulb money. 6 bulbs x 25 ea 3 times every two years minimum = $$$

Indeed. Then LED's are probably your best bet. Just go with two 24" LED fixtures or something. Or you could DIY yourself some. You shouldn't need all that much since your tank is only a foot tall.

What might work for you is a set up using lots of mid watt leds. So you have the spread to cover the large area but not the intensity to bleach the corals. Kind of the reverse of today's high powered leds so unfortunately you might be hard pressed to find something in reef colors. Try looking at hydroponic leds. Those are usually designed to cover more area.

Damn.. that's sexy. Nice tank dude. You got a build thread with more pictures?

Thank you, Zer0.

I am not sure whether I will get a build thread here. Because my Engilish writing skill is not good enough to make you 100% understanding what I mean.

But I will try to do that.

Thank you, Zer0.

I am not sure whether I will get a build thread here. Because my Engilish writing skill is not good enough to make you 100% understanding what I mean.

But I will try to do that.

That sounded pretty good to me. :lol:

I vote you make a build thread and share some pics. Your tank looks amazing. :)

Here is my 60cm * 60cm * 28cm shallow tank.

post-61371-1299737710_thumb.jpg

Sweet looks awesome Allen.

If you go ATI the t5 bulbs last wayyy longer.

Archived