Cultivated Reef

POLL: Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?

lgreen

Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a freshwater aquarium in addition to a saltwater nano?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I have kept freshwater aquariums in the past
  2. 2. Should Nano-Reef.com have a small section for freshwater aquariums?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What would you use the freshwater aquarium forum for? (check all that apply)

• Learning how to start a freshwater aquarium
    • Seeking general advice about your freshwater aquarium
    • Showing off your aquarium
    • Discussion of advanced topics such as planted tanks, breeding, etc.
    • Giving others advice on any of the above
    • None because I selected "no" above

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I already listed three other SW forums with FW sections. they don't seem to have any trouble with confusion, based on what I've seen. your earlier slippery slope argument made me lol though. ;)

honestly, I don't understand what everyone is getting so bent over. I mean, the tweens on the board are all like 'no dude n-r is the bestest evar and it should only be SW!' and I get that. but any mature, rational person should see no harm in a random FW section relegated to the bottom of the forum listing. what's the big deal?

I didn't read what other forums you listed. Was it before my first post here? If so, that would explain it.

Glad I made you lol, Jer. Granted, it was a stretch. Maybe a worst case scenario.

I'm not bent in the least. Having a FW forum is no skin off my back. I just don't see it being a benefit, truth be told.

RC, competition? Pfft, I logged on there today to look for a light for a co worker. First time I had logged on there in almost 2 years. That aint competition, IMO.

HecticDialectics
RC, competition? Pfft, I logged on there today to look for a light for a co worker. First time I had logged on there in almost 2 years. That aint competition, IMO.

Strictly in terms of size, obviously we rule the nano-subspace.

He didn't list Reef Central, which is our only real competition, so I dunno.

to be honest, I didn't even think of checking RC, lol. just logged on for the first time in two years, they don't have a FW section. that's reason enough for us to have one, imo. :lol:

also, they have 250,000 members, we have 50,000. you seem to be confused about the whole competition based on size thing.

I don't think the arguments about 'transferable methodology' are sound because essentially everything done in SW encompasses most things in FW or simply aren't necessary. There's a lot of parallels but I don't really see it bringing anything new to the table.

Next thing you'll have some FW tank trying to win tank of the month on nano-reef.com.

I just don't see it simply being a single forum in some small section. I use the home page to find new threads pretty often and I'd rather just avoid the FW stuff all together, which is why I participate here as opposed to most other sites that appeal to both.

I don't really mind either way because I think this is a pretty awesome place to share ideas and I personally like planted tanks. I just don't want another money pit.

how bout moderating the sections we do have....

er, we do. :huh:

Yes. But Jer you guys use your ban sticks for good. Not self indulgent power trips, simply performed to remind the membership that the are ruled by totalitarian thugs. Many have not come to terms with this difference about our little community. Ah crap you don't think they heard that on the other site do you. I'm going to log in to a great big whammy, aren't I. Oh well...

KellyRRoberts4

Seeing as I am only STARTING a SW tank, and have kept fresh for the past (almost) 10 years I have a few good forums I like for that aspect of my hobby& this is my SW forum.

But it's funny that some can be SO closed-minded that it would 'take away/muddle up' the Nano-REEF aspect because like another site has MONSTERfish in the title, alot of the members still have fish that aren't considered MONSTER (Arowanna, Gar, Red Tailed Catfish, etc).

It's not a matter of EVERYONE liking FW as much as SW here if a section is opened, but more like showing that some maintain both and the beauty that can be found in both when the time/effort is there.

Just my 2cents.

HecticDialectics

Most FW tanks are just plain ugly.

There. I said it.

Maybe a planted tank subforum... but definitely not FW generally. I'm also glad there's no FO subforum. Ugly.

honestly, I don't understand what everyone is getting so bent over. I mean, the tweens on the board are all like 'no dude n-r is the bestest evar and it should only be SW!' and I get that. but any mature, rational person should see no harm in a random FW section relegated to the bottom of the forum listing. what's the big deal?

This.

I'd say many people who have posted in this thread are very misunderstood about this whole thing.

The idea would be for existing members of this community who keep freshwater tanks in addition to saltwater tanks, to have a place to talk, show off their tanks, share advice.

Understand this:

-Nano-reef.com will not lose its identity for what it is now...a forum dedicated to saltwater and nano sized tanks.

-Nano-reef.com will not become a saltwater and freshwater forum, it would remain just as it is now.

-It would server no purpose in attracting no members, because it's not meant to. It is for existing members.

To sum it up:

95% of you wont even know it exists unless you actually scroll down and click on it. It will have almost zero impact on your browsing experience here. Big deal if a few threads from a freshwater section pop up on the main page during the day. When you click on them, you can see on the top what forum you are in, just as if you clicked on any thread on the main page.

HecticDialectics

No one would notice a small subforum on dirt bikes either, but ya know, it just dilutes the brand...

There's a scattering of FW tanks in the member's aquariums section. Good enough, imo.

if a nube gets confused they are way too stupid to be able to keep a reef without harming livestock.

FW fish and supplys should not be allowed in the classifieds.

there is not going to be a buch popping up in the new posts page. if you have a Q. and see a topic that looks like it answers it and find out its fw it probably will still answer ur Q.

• 1 month later...

Archived