inTank Media Baskets

POLL: Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?

lgreen

Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a freshwater aquarium in addition to a saltwater nano?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I have kept freshwater aquariums in the past
  2. 2. Should Nano-Reef.com have a small section for freshwater aquariums?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What would you use the freshwater aquarium forum for? (check all that apply)

• Learning how to start a freshwater aquarium
    • Seeking general advice about your freshwater aquarium
    • Showing off your aquarium
    • Discussion of advanced topics such as planted tanks, breeding, etc.
    • Giving others advice on any of the above
    • None because I selected "no" above

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep both and I agree that you can make freshwater as challenging as you can reefing. Exotics, cichlids, large aquariums, planted biotopes.... However there are already tons of good freshwater forums out there. Anyone serious enough to join a forum about freshwater tanks has already done so elsewhere. I am afraid the same thing that has happened with reefcentral.com and nano-reef.com will happen again. Tons of people making the exact same post twice, cut and paste style. I myself have been guilty of that. The duplication has gotten so bad that some people are now including "copy right " style messages at the tops of their posts asking that people not cut and paste their response into another forum.

Too many forums...too many duplicates.

This is what links are for. There should be a section for "Links to other related interests" You could have fresh water, cichlids, hell, you could have a link to a bonsai forum or an ant keeping forum. The point is that the info is not duplicated and taking up cyberspace. Links will help you jump to what you are looking for.

I also don't like my peas touching the carrots on the same plate.

I also don't like my peas touching the carrots on the same plate.

Sounds like a new topic for the lounge, better get that thread started ASAP

Then we see the unavoidable one-liner reply of "Peas and carrots suck" or "Peas are gay"

I cant wait to get onboard of this 500+ page bound thread !!

After reading everything I think that if you wanted to do a FW version it would need to be a seperate site. You could set it up with a link to it on the main page and have duel membership so you would not have to sign up twice. This would address all issues. You would have your FW section and you will keep it apart from nano-reef to keep it pure. This would also keep any noobs from mixing up weither or not the OP is talking about SW or FW. The only way to do it and keep things going in the right direction IMHO.

The easiest way for me to track this forum without going into each sub-forum/topic (ie: invertebrates, equipment, hardware, chemistry...if that is one, etc.) is to watch the 'recent forum posts'. This way I just see the topics people are talking about now and can comment/post wherever. Being able to watch this and see what peoples' current concerns are is much better than having to sift through each sub topic/forum. For example - Someone posting: "How do I get rid of cyano?" Without a 'recent forum posts', I would never go specifically looking to answer this question for someone. However, on the 'recent forum posts' hot page/summary/whatever you wanna call it - It pops up and I can shoot off a quick answer.

This is just how I use the site - Adding FW topics would clutter this particular section and dilute the visibility of nano-reef topics...The reason why I'm here ;)

An option is to do something like the drfostersmith website. There they have sections/links to entire different sites - aquatics and liveaquaria right smack at the top of the page.This way SW and FW remain independent of each other, yet they're still linked together.

Here's my example site: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

Just referring to the top 2 inches of the page :)

Someone had to say it aleady, might as well be me.
No one had to say it. You just chose to.

After reading everything I think that if you wanted to do a FW version it would need to be a seperate site. You could set it up with a link to it on the main page and have duel membership so you would not have to sign up twice. This would address all issues. You would have your FW section and you will keep it apart from nano-reef to keep it pure. This would also keep any noobs from mixing up weither or not the OP is talking about SW or FW. The only way to do it and keep things going in the right direction IMHO.
I agree with this. However, I'm sure CM has better things to do with his spare time. Have any of you ever noticed changes? Usually not. This is because CM does these in the middle of the night when nobody is on. Adding another forum doubles the work load and time involved. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
lol @ the butthurt.

Will anyone leave this site if a FW section is introduced? Srs ?.

Tell me about it.

I doubt anyone will leave. I do, however, think it would change the dynamics of the site. JMO.

I doubt anyone will leave. I do, however, think it would change the dynamics of the site. JMO.

I agree. I would not leave because of it, but I would find the sight much less useful and prob would not get as quick of a response to an urgent question if the home page is cluttered up with FW crap.

large reefs, biotopes, etc are at least saltwater

We have to draw the line somewhere!

What's next? A reptile subforum?

This. I came here to find a dense concentration of information related to small reef aquariums wthout having to sift through a ton of un-related and off-topic threads. If it was just another site with car forums, fw planted BS, RC hobby forums and whatever other crap people are into I would've never signed up.

What makes this site different (and therefore attractive and helpful) is it's density of topic-relevant data.

No, there is no reason it couldn't be relegated to the Misc. section. However, there it serves no purpose in gaining new membership. Granted, the threads I listed earlier serve no purpose for that either. I just find it rather stupid to include a FW forum and not have it be viewable via search engines or from the home page. After all, the information sharing, knowledge base, etc. these all help in gaining membership.

Deleted User 6

You're assuming that its primary purpose would be to gain membership, and not strengthen current membership. Also you're assuming that it wouldn't attract new members by not being searchable. I'm not working from either of those assumptions.

As I said earlier, a FW forum could be beneficial to the SW hobby in that there is some highly relevant crossover methodology (unlike other hobbies like RC Helicopters, etc.). If it's relegated to Misc., it solves the issue of the home page getting clogged up with FW topics. If word got out that NR had a bangin' FW section with good topics around aquascaping, water chem, etc., it may well draw new members. I'm kinda with Jer - drop it in misc. and see what happens. Not sure how it would hurt anything.

One time when I was building a boat in my garage, I had a second boat in the other bay and when people would give me suggestions for the boat I was working on, I would point to the other boat and say, "give it a try."

HecticDialectics
You're assuming that its primary purpose would be to gain membership, and not strengthen current membership. Also you're assuming that it wouldn't attract new members by not being searchable. I'm not working from either of those assumptions.

As I said earlier, a FW forum could be beneficial to the SW hobby in that there is some highly relevant crossover methodology (unlike other hobbies like RC Helicopters, etc.). If it's relegated to Misc., it solves the issue of the home page getting clogged up with FW topics. If word got out that NR had a bangin' FW section with good topics around aquascaping, water chem, etc., it may well draw new members. I'm kinda with Jer - drop it in misc. and see what happens. Not sure how it would hurt anything.

lmk when site gets renamed Nano-Tanks.com

D, I'm assuming because I have nothing better to go off of. I said before, when it's limited to a place where it can't be seen outside membership the only way to gain new members would be word of mouth.

In all seriousness, how much methodology can be crossed over from FW to SW? Beyond what has become common knowledge in the nano community, not much IMO. Now, granted, I feel much of our methodology can be crossed over into FW. However, that does little to strengthen current membership here.

My point was a FW section will cause either confusion, or not generate new members. Forums like the lounge, vendor trader feedback, questions and feedback, and archives. Many of those aren't reef related, however, they are places for current members to have some fun, do some searching/investigating. Believe it or not, new members still screw that up too.

I already listed three other SW forums with FW sections. they don't seem to have any trouble with confusion, based on what I've seen. your earlier slippery slope argument made me lol though. ;)

No, there is no reason it couldn't be relegated to the Misc. section. However, there it serves no purpose in gaining new membership. Granted, the threads I listed earlier serve no purpose for that either. I just find it rather stupid to include a FW forum and not have it be viewable via search engines or from the home page. After all, the information sharing, knowledge base, etc. these all help in gaining membership.

honestly, I don't understand what everyone is getting so bent over. I mean, the tweens on the board are all like 'no dude n-r is the bestest evar and it should only be SW!' and I get that. but any mature, rational person should see no harm in a random FW section relegated to the bottom of the forum listing. what's the big deal?

Deleted User 6

@HD, just shut up.

@Ray, we're both assuming, lol. I don't know what CMs goals are any better than you. But I'm ok leaving it with a FW section being neither here nor there - no great value and no great harm. I think there are some topics where more valuable conversation could be had, but I can see how you disagree there. So whatever - I probably wouldn't even use the section myself.

Archived