SaltCritters.com

POLL: Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?

lgreen

Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a freshwater aquarium in addition to a saltwater nano?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I have kept freshwater aquariums in the past
  2. 2. Should Nano-Reef.com have a small section for freshwater aquariums?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What would you use the freshwater aquarium forum for? (check all that apply)

• Learning how to start a freshwater aquarium
    • Seeking general advice about your freshwater aquarium
    • Showing off your aquarium
    • Discussion of advanced topics such as planted tanks, breeding, etc.
    • Giving others advice on any of the above
    • None because I selected "no" above

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all the ppl saying this is nano-reef not nano freshwater have wrong logic cuz we have large reef, coldwater, macro algae, and other things here.

i have the answer to the problem!! when they make the forum they should make it so posts dont show up in the new post or on the home page. same should be done with large reefs and all non nano forums.

newbs are not going to come here for fw there going to google for a fw forum not NR.

i think neon tetras bodes expel water and hold on to salts so they would dehydrate. guppies mollys can switch.

if it gets popular it can branch out into its own website and make NR more $$$... and have a quick link on NR to it.

Just don't allow it to show on the home page.

Unfortunately, search engines would still list the threads. If you see a google result for nano-reef.com, you'd probably assume it's for SW. The only ways I see to resolve this are:

a) Keep the web crawlers away so nobody can find the threads on search engines. Unlike the lounge, you probably want this information to be found easily. But, a forum nobody finds is useless.

or

b ) Give it a completely separate URL and have both sites share the same membership.

all the ppl saying this is nano-reef not nano freshwater have wrong logic cuz we have large reef, coldwater, macro algae, and other things here.

i have the answer to the problem!! when they make the forum they should make it so posts dont show up in the new post or on the home page. same should be done with large reefs and all non nano forums.

newbs are not going to come here for fw there going to google for a fw forum not NR.

if it gets popular it can branch out into its own website and make NR more $$$... and have a quick link on NR to it.

This exactly 10000000000000000000000000%

This exactly 10000000000000000000000000%
I'd beg to differ with you, there.

Large reefs, coldwater, biotopes, aquaculture, those all came about primarily from current members expanding their interests (and tank collections). I don't see many current members expressing much interest in FW. Sure, there are a few threads here or there. However, for many members FW seemed to be more of a "diving board" to get them into SW.

Christopher Marks

Presently the lounge and feedback forum are excluded from the home page's latest topics list. They're also not available to search engines because they're hidden from forum guests. Similar measures could be taken for a FW forum, but it'd probably best to let search engines still see it. There's no way to exclude these forums from the latest posts feature on the forums though.

If it becomes unbeneficial it can always be removed. But again if there is a chance in it being a way to improve the hobby or a member's experience. Than we should at least try it. Due to the potential benefits that have been brought up. Regardless of the arguing over weather it is appropriate to be here or not though. It actually comes down to there being the interest in the subject to justify the expense. This is after all Marks business.

large reefs, biotopes, etc are at least saltwater

We have to draw the line somewhere!

What's next? A reptile subforum?

Everyone mark their calenders. I agree with HD! I see just as much interest (if not more) in Dart frogs. Before long, N-R would be composed of 1/2 reef related, the other half every other pet hobby one could imagine. How can diluting (is that even a good word for this?) the forums to that extent be something positive?

Presently the lounge and feedback forum are excluded from the home page's latest topics list. They're also not available to search engines because they're hidden from forum guests. Similar measures could be taken for a FW forum, but it'd probably best to let search engines still see it. There's no way to exclude these forums from the latest posts feature on the forums though.
Allowing search engines to see it is probably the best way to gain new members. Without it, very few, if any beyond word of mouth, would join. So, how then is this a positive for the site? On the flip side, hiding it would likely lessen, if not eliminate, the possibility of people new to the hobby making a catastrophic mistake on their new SW nano. OK, eliminate probably shouldn't be there. Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
What's next? A reptile subforum?

That is a good point.

For the record...I don't care either way. Just thought it'd be interesting to see what others think.

The idea of having a new freshwater site in the same style of nano-reef (assuming it is true...that most of the fw sites suck) is cool too, but I'm sure CM would like to have a social life.

Why don't we make a forum or sub forum for non reef related animal habitat threads. Covers all other bases, gives current NR members a place to show off their other ####, yet we won't be making 50million non reefing forums. And to clarify, I wouldn't post my fw tank thread in a misc or general section if the majority of other topics are just random bs.

Why don't we make a forum or sub forum for non reef related animal habitat threads. Covers all other bases, gives current NR members a place to show off their other ####, yet we won't be making 50million non reefing forums.

i like this idea :happy:

I'm indifferent either way. I started a planted nano tank a few months back and searched the web for a Nano-Reef equivalent of planted tanks. Unfortunately (though not surprisingly) i found none. Instead I found a few helpful members on here who are knowledgeable in planted tanks and I was able to get some tips and ideas over PM.

I can see how a freshwater section can be beneficial for reef hobbyists who also have freshwater tanks or are interested in freshwater tanks and want to discuss them in a community that they are already comfortable or are a part in. The Lounge is an epitome of this where one can literally find a thread about everything from bowel movements to cars. On the other hand I also see the point in drawing the line and as a moderator I can also see how it could potentially complicate the site. So that's why I'm not voting.

people saying its non-reef related really cant say much since there is a lounge forum. which is 10000% NON REEF RELATED.

i say make the freshwater forum...what, people are gonna sit at home bummed out that there's another forum they wont even pay attention too? please.....

Pretty much every forum I've ever been a member in has had a lounge, or lounge equivalent. So what's your point?

My point was a FW section will cause either confusion, or not generate new members. Forums like the lounge, vendor trader feedback, questions and feedback, and archives. Many of those aren't reef related, however, they are places for current members to have some fun, do some searching/investigating. Believe it or not, new members still screw that up too.

I'm indifferent either way. I started a planted nano tank a few months back and searched the web for a Nano-Reef equivalent of planted tanks. Unfortunately (though not surprisingly) i found none. Instead I found a few helpful members on here who are knowledgeable in planted tanks and I was able to get some tips and ideas over PM.

I can see how a freshwater section can be beneficial for reef hobbyists who also have freshwater tanks or are interested in freshwater tanks and want to discuss them in a community that they are already comfortable or are a part in. The Lounge is an epitome of this where one can literally find a thread about everything from bowel movements to cars. On the other hand I also see the point in drawing the line and as a moderator I can also see how it could potentially complicate the site. So that's why I'm not voting.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/planted-nano-tanks/

but they are all seawater based tanks

I'm on plantedtank.net forum, but I like the community on nano-reefs better. In order to stop the noobs from messing up just make it clear that it is FW your posting about.

I agree on the community quality. +1 Anemone fan.

What its really going to do is flood the hardware and livestock classifieds with hippies trying to make a living selling fan tailed guppies and useless freshwater supplies such as penguin biowheel filters and used undergravel filters. It wil also cause a flood in the forum itself choking out topics of folks posting questions and starting tank threads of the reason they came here....REEFING.

Its bad enough that we have all these stupid random non reef related threads pushing people with genuine questions and tank threads 5 pages back already.

If it was up to me the lounge would be out the door with a boot in its ass !!! I really dont care "what you are doing right now" "what your eating" or "I Knocked up my #### buddy, my lifes over" and my favorite "Someone parked in my parking spot on a public street after I shoveled the snow out"

1.) Get facebook, thats what its for.

2.) You shouldnt be eating while your by your computer and if you arnt eating at your computer your really not eating it RIGHT NOW anyways...

3.) Wear a rubber and man up already.....what did you think was gonna happen ?

4.) Seriously Mr.Mayor ? Find a new spot or beat the guy who took it....Not thread worthy, I have problems of my own.

Seriously, it isnt really bad to post a random thread every once in a great while, but people are trying their hardest to get a stupid non forum related threads off the ground.

Archived