Cultivated Reef

POLL: Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?

lgreen

Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a freshwater aquarium in addition to a saltwater nano?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I have kept freshwater aquariums in the past
  2. 2. Should Nano-Reef.com have a small section for freshwater aquariums?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What would you use the freshwater aquarium forum for? (check all that apply)

• Learning how to start a freshwater aquarium
    • Seeking general advice about your freshwater aquarium
    • Showing off your aquarium
    • Discussion of advanced topics such as planted tanks, breeding, etc.
    • Giving others advice on any of the above
    • None because I selected "no" above

freshwater tanks suck.

Freshwater tanks do not suck. I have had everything from goldfish to discus and to tell you the truth raising a tank of juvie discus are some of the more challenging fish a person can own. If you don't believe it you should try it. The 2 tanks I liked the best was my 75 gallon reef tank and my 125 discus tank. I did downsize to a 55 discus tank and I am in the process of setting up a bc 29.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Freshwater tanks do not suck. I have had everything from goldfish to discus and to tell you the truth raising a tank of juvie discus are some of the more challenging fish a person can own. If you don't believe it you should try it. The 2 tanks I liked the best was my 75 gallon reef tank and my 125 discus tank. I did downsize to a 55 discus tank and I am in the process of setting up a bc 29.

Lol

I am neither for or against this.... but I have noticed under the logic of most of those that are against it it would seem that the section "Large Reefs" should not exist here either.... so quick someone start a POLL lets remove "Large Reefs" :)..... My real fear is that I might find planted tanks as a new challenge and then there would be just 1 more Money Pit in my life

I think an advance freshwater section would be beneficial to the members already here, I would hate to attract people that are way too new the aquarium hobby and this ends up being noob central. 2cents

Joe: "Uh, excuse me. I think this might be Gatorade or something. I was just looking for some regular water."

Doctor in Waiting Room "Water?"

Joe: "Yeah."

Doctor in Waiting Room: "You mean like in the toilet? What for?"

Joe: "You know, just to drink."

Doctor in Waiting Room: "(laughing)"

Christopher Marks
I would definitely be opposed to scrolling through a bunch of FW crap when looking to something relevant to SW. Keep it separate.

Rcplain123 brings up a valid point. Those of you who utilize the 'View New Posts' feature of the forum might not have a way to avoid the freshwater section. Not that it will be overwhelming or anything, just an observation.

The large reefs forum was started much in the same spirit, although it's arguably more 'on point' that freshwater. I'm still open to it, let's keep the discussion going. Those of you who are active in the FW hobby, are there other communities you frequent for FW info?

Deleted User 6

i feel that aspects of the FW hobby can certainly inform our hobby - aquascaping in particular. I would hope that the majority of posts in the FW section would be along the lines of transferable knowledge and inspiration from FW to SW, and not so much "hey guys look at my neon tetras!"

Deleted User 6

i agree. they are the shizzle. i think i'm going to acclimate some to SW for my pico.

that settles it. we need a FW forum dedicated to which fish can be acclimated over to SW.

i agree. they are the shizzle. i think i'm going to acclimate some to SW for my pico.

that settles it. we need a FW forum dedicated to which fish can be acclimated over to SW.

BAM! You got it, headed to petco now......

HecticDialectics
Rcplain123 brings up a valid point. Those of you who utilize the 'View New Posts' feature of the forum might not have a way to avoid the freshwater section. Not that it will be overwhelming or anything, just an observation.

The large reefs forum was started much in the same spirit, although it's arguably more 'on point' that freshwater. I'm still open to it, let's keep the discussion going. Those of you who are active in the FW hobby, are there other communities you frequent for FW info?

would adding it under Misc. avoid that? like do photography and feedback posts show up on the new posts feed?

That's an awesome idea dhaut. We should totally have a FW forum. Why didn't anyone else bring this up until just now? You're a genius.

yall can just go here!!

http://usafishbox.forumotion.com/forum

its a new forum bout a year or so old i originated from their i guess LOL

its got alot of planted tank crap cichlid crap gold fish crap SOME salt crap

its an all around ok forum active and has some state chapters (still gowing)

were having a SOCAL chapter meeting this saturday in menifee if anyone wants to go

theyre will be fry swaps frag swaps auctions and CARNE ASADA or as the white folk call it

Carmen Astrada Bro!

Hey lgreen, learn to make a poll next time.

I chose NO and NO, but still had to make a selection on the third part of the poll tho none of them said "I would use it for NOTHING"

Sorry...didn't realize you had to give an answer if it was multiple choice. Fixed, although it wont help those who already voted. It's ok though...that's not that important of a question.

i feel that aspects of the FW hobby can certainly inform our hobby - aquascaping in particular. I would hope that the majority of posts in the FW section would be along the lines of transferable knowledge and inspiration from FW to SW, and not so much "hey guys look at my neon tetras!"

I would have to agree with these points. I wonder though if there could be a way to direct a forum toward the goal of advancing SW. With out introducing the other aspects of FW & planted tanks. Perhaps before any other action is taken there should be a dedicated thread towards as D put it "Transferable Knowledge & inspiration from planted FW methodology's." focusing on topics like Iwagumi, Wabi-Sabi, balanced ecology, Bonsai aquascaping, plant structure, proper use of sediment, maintenance of water chemistry & the affects of plants/algae there in...

burtbollinger
focusing on topics like Iwagumi, Wabi-Sabi, balanced ecology, Bonsai aquascaping, plant structure, proper use of sediment, maintenance of water chemistry & the affects of plants/algae there in...

+1

There is a FW to SW forum... it is called the Puffer Forum... Maybe brackish but I don't want to see FW posts when I hit NEW POSTS...

I think a freshwater section on nr should just be a general freshwater section. It will serve more people. If you make it only focus on certain topics, even less people will use it. It should be kept simple and cater to any freshwater enthusiast who also participates in the nr community.

Archived