Pod Your Reef

POLL: Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?

lgreen

Would you like to see a freshwater section on Nano-Reef.com?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a freshwater aquarium in addition to a saltwater nano?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I have kept freshwater aquariums in the past
  2. 2. Should Nano-Reef.com have a small section for freshwater aquariums?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What would you use the freshwater aquarium forum for? (check all that apply)

• Learning how to start a freshwater aquarium
    • Seeking general advice about your freshwater aquarium
    • Showing off your aquarium
    • Discussion of advanced topics such as planted tanks, breeding, etc.
    • Giving others advice on any of the above
    • None because I selected "no" above

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done correctly I dont see how there could be a problem with it. Done incorrectly I think it could ruin the site. You will have to keep the posts seperated on the main page where the curent posts show up. It will confuse to many people if they are mixed. It also could give some new people bad advice if they dont know if they are reading for FW or SW. I believe any addition of correct knowlege is always a good thing. The search feature would also have to work that it would not pull SW and FW listings.

I am pretty new here. But I have been reading a lot and buying things from members and sponsors already. I was a big poster on a dirt bike forum, but me and many others had to leave when they made a quadtard section. For the most part it is 2 different mentalities. I am not equating FW enthusiasts to shirtless, helmetless, drunken quadtards doing donuts in the parking lot... I'm just saying keep it specialized or new members will look for SW specific forums and not join here. I wouldn't have joined if it were FW too.

I think a freshwater section on nr should just be a general freshwater section. It will serve more people. If you make it only focus on certain topics, even less people will use it. It should be kept simple and cater to any freshwater enthusiast who also participates in the nr community.

lgreen I think your probably right in that limiting a fw specific forum is unrealistic & would force it to become to limited to receive traffic. Do you think though that by adding an inclusive forum for all aspects of FW. Perhaps a general FW forum with dedicated stickys towards the topics with potential crossover. Allowing for the development of more advanced topics. We could satisfy the goals that have been brought up.

Why not have pond forums, planted forums, fw fish forums, fw plants forums, fw equipment forums, fw lighting forums, fw aquascaping forums, fw breeding forums, fw biotope forums....

I don't need to be ashamed of myself bitts. Outside of a FW topic under "Miscellaneous" it stops being a SW forum and becomes just another BS aquarium forum. This is a niche forum, and does REALLY well because of it's focus. Take your preaching and gtfo.

while i'm not against the idea, i did vote no.

i voted no because i have owned many freshwater aquariums in the past without ever thinking to join a forum and share my hobby, but the second i got into saltwater, i hunted down a forum and joined immediately!

and it is not like i am new to forums either, i've been on car forums since the day i could drive.

it's hard to explain, but basically saltwater to me is just more 'online appropriate'

when i was younger with my freshwater aquariums, i never went online and searched for pictures of goldfish, i went online and searched for pictures of beautiful corals and exotic fish.

if a freshwater section ends up being in demand, i would say make it as separate as possible.

cheers :)

I think people are scared that newbs would get confused about SW and FW, plus maybe the FW would get more popular than the SW side, which would defeat the N-Reef part.

However, I have a FW tank thread just for feedback and showoff, but I don't think FW discussion should be held here.

Rcplain123 brings up a valid point. Those of you who utilize the 'View New Posts' feature of the forum might not have a way to avoid the freshwater section. Not that it will be overwhelming or anything, just an observation.

by that logic you'd have to delete the lounge and the photography section. :o

serious boss, just stick it in misc and see what happens. we can move the freshwater threads from the lounge over to start things off, lol.

thereeftank.com, reefsanctuary.com, and 3reef.com all have FW sections, fwiw.

I really don't see the big deal about it. When you go to the site most people would go to the area they are interested in. I don't think that having say a spot for freshwater tanks would be a problem. If your not interested in them you don't go into that section.

HecticDialectics

y'all sure are some haters, tell ya that much

Personally, my only reason is that people with freshwater tanks tend to not shower as much as people with reef tanks, so I'd rather just not be around them.

this would be a great addition IMO. Most people have had or still have freshwater tanks if they currently have reef tanks, and FW tanks add a nice contrast to the reef system. I frequently see questions on here about FW tanks, and I think it would be appropriate that they were given their own section rather then just getting posted into general discussion.

We can call it the, "Why won't this last neon Tetra die so I can take this stupid FW tank down?" section.

Seriously he wont die and I want to use the pc bulbs off my biocube hood to make a softie tank with his 10g AGA. I don't feel right just killing him....

animalmaster6
i feel that aspects of the FW hobby can certainly inform our hobby - aquascaping in particular. I would hope that the majority of posts in the FW section would be along the lines of transferable knowledge and inspiration from FW to SW, and not so much "hey guys look at my neon tetras!"

+1

Lol i have been in the process in switching my bumblebee gobbie from fw to brakish to sw. im in the brakish stage and im starting to add more and more salt every other day. =) let you all kno how it goes. as for some neons..... i think i may give it a try lol....

Except schg's. He's an exception because his tank looks awesome so far.

everyone else...no.

lolol

I'm just going to state that I only have a planted tank right now, but am not into the FW forums enough to fully dedicate myself to that. I am continuing to post my FW tank on NR because I like the community. I voted yes, but am not going to argue one way or the other for many reasons.

I don't want a FW section. If somebody wants to discus FW, go to another forum. I like to click on the recent forum posts on the main page, and if there is FW shizz mixed in then I will be very angry and when I get very angry it makes me want to leave Nano-Reef.com. ;)

by that logic you'd have to delete the lounge and the photography section. :o

While the lounge is arguable as far as worth. Though should be kept if only for the upside down dog thread. the photo section is a great example on this. Being a forum that has nothing to do with reefs yet has a great deal of info that hobbyist can use.

Oh & D why not just get some red spot cards. Instead of going though the hassle of converting the tetras.

IMO, and only MO, I don't see a FW forum being of much value here on N-R. While many of us, myself included, keep FW. I haven't seen enough interest in FW threads to dedicate a forum to it. Granted, that may not be the case once something like a FW forum were added. I could see the possibility of it growing to something along the lines of the biotopes forum, or the aquaculture forum. Still, I don't see it attracting any new members.

I'd also like to point out the obvious confusion it MAY cause. Many new members don't seem to post threads in the proper forums. While we, as mods, can easily deal with this. It invites the potential for more confusion to an already complicated hobby. Can you imagine what someone completely new to the hobby might try to do in a SW setup by clicking on a FW thread that happens to be at the top of the list on the home page? Not to mention the obvious heckling that would ensue when threads are placed in the wrong forum.

In short, I'm not completely against it.However, I don't see it as being a valuable asset to N-R.com, as a whole. FWIW, I didn't vote.

lolol

I'm just going to state that I only have a planted tank right now, but am not into the FW forums enough to fully dedicate myself to that. I am continuing to post my FW tank on NR because I like the community. I voted yes, but am not going to argue one way or the other for many reasons.

IMO, and only MO, I don't see a FW forum being of much value here on N-R. While many of us, myself included, keep FW. I haven't seen enough interest in FW threads to dedicate a forum to it. Granted, that may not be the case once something like a FW forum were added. I could see the possibility of it growing to something along the lines of the biotopes forum, or the aquaculture forum. Still, I don't see it attracting any new members.

I'd also like to point out the obvious confusion it MAY cause. Many new members don't seem to post threads in the proper forums. While we, as mods, can easily deal with this. It invites the potential for more confusion to an already complicated hobby. Can you imagine what someone completely new to the hobby might try to do in a SW setup by clicking on a FW thread that happens to be at the top of the list on the home page? Not to mention the obvious heckling that would ensue when threads are placed in the wrong forum.

In short, I'm not completely against it.However, I don't see it as being a valuable asset to N-R.com, as a whole. FWIW, I didn't vote.

Exactly!

I find it odd that I bolded two opposing sides, but they both can be worked out so that there is a FW forum, but not imposing to other members. Just don't allow it to show on the home page.

Archived