ReefCleaners.org

Imisky's Sticks and Colors Reef (Nov.12,2012 A years worth of growth)

imisky

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

display is 36x13x13. The MP40s are on the 30-40%. Not really overkill if you want to deliver the same flow at a much lower noise level :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

ah... i see and the fact that you just want to be a baller :ninja:

so is that the equivalent of 2 mp10's at 100%?

thats mp10s running at 70%-80%. I borrowed a mp10 before deciding what I wanted to go with. MP40s gave such a better flow pattern. The noise level was just a bonus that came with it.

SouthFlorida_Tron

How do you run them, programming wise?

My tank is 25" long and have a second vortech on the list, and upgrading the first to wireless...

Do I want an mp20? Lol

Teach me the way of the vortech :ninja:

How do you run them, programming wise? My tank is 25" long and have a second vortech on the list, and upgrading the first to wireless... Do I want an mp20? Lol Teach me the way of the vortech :ninja:

haha. its a personal choice for flow pattern, if possible I would run my vortechs with 1 on short pulse for a wave and another on nutrient export but the overflow on this tank was built too high so if I try to make anything that resembles a wave water will flow out the tank. I run them in anti sync reef crest mode. For me the choice was obvious which to go with when I saw how wide the flow pattern was on the mp40. I knew I couldnt make a wave so moving a massive amount of water at once was the only other option. MP10s to me are like the 6055s I had in my previous build, the water flow that comes out for me at least felt really narrow.

Damn two mp40s....I got three mp10s at 85% on 48x24x16 and it is almost to much

The way I look at it is, these corals are exposed to higher flow in the ocean, as long as the flow we have in our tank is not a jet stream style of flow they should be able to handle quite a bit more than what we think.

Wow Imiski what a set up! Love the new tank and fishies!

Thanks! I have a video of the copperband eating that I have to post.

I need new pants.

lol, you gave me a good laugh

SouthFlorida_Tron

but on a narrow tank like my 25x10x15 (DT) it seems to work, so when you say sync or anti sync, both on reef crest, that means when one slows down, the other speeds up so the current changes direction? where as sync means they both speed or slow at same pace?

The way I look at it is, these corals are exposed to higher flow in the ocean, as long as the flow we have in our tank is not a jet stream style of flow they should be able to handle quite a bit more than what we think.

True I agree. As I have about 80x turnover. Im still trying not to have sand blow around. ;/

but on a narrow tank like my 25x10x15 (DT) it seems to work, so when you say sync or anti sync, both on reef crest, that means when one slows down, the other speeds up so the current changes direction? where as sync means they both speed or slow at same pace?

if you put a mp40 on a 10" wide tank, you'll see that the water moves instead of a steam, same goes for the 13" thats on my tank. You got the sync and anti sync concept dead on.

True I agree. As I have about 80x turnover. Im still trying not to have sand blow around. ;/

I tend not to think about turn overs much anymore. Whatever makes the corals look happy is better than worrying about trying to hit the magical turn over rate number just to get there and have skin of the SPS ripped right off the second it touches the water.

SouthFlorida_Tron

so how would an mp20 go in my small display? way too overkill i assume... an mp10 at 70% nearly throws my frogspawn over just from the flow bouncing off the end glass and flowing back!

im overthinking this...

does the mp10 even do master and slave? or for my mp10 to be the slave for another vortech id have to do an mp20 anyway

EDIT:

scratch that, apparently there is no more mp20, its mp10 to mp40... and thats way too much for me, for a pump, honestly.. lol

can 2 mp10w's work as a master/slave?

so how would an mp20 go in my small display? way too overkill i assume... an mp10 at 70% nearly throws my frogspawn over just from the flow bouncing off the end glass and flowing back!

im overthinking this...

does the mp10 even do master and slave? or for my mp10 to be the slave for another vortech id have to do an mp20 anyway

Yes mp10esW do master and slave

SouthFlorida_Tron

i just talked to ecotech, apparently i was GOING to buy the $85 CONTROLLER that is wireless, and not just a damn chip thats $45.... lol, i already have ecosmart, and i just buy this chip that makes it wireless, marine depot and other vendors only sell the ecosmart driver itself to make it wireless, scam scam shame!

lol it gets the average consumer :) sometimes going straight to the supplier for support has benefits. Its really a shame they removed the MP20, it fit into a range that I wanted myself but when left with the mp10 and mp40. For me at least its a no brainer to go the 40 route to get the flow pattern.

Mp10 if you get, 2 you'll find that you'l dial the flow down to about 40% or so which will reduce the whirling sound from the motors.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived