ReefCleaners.org

Imisky's Sticks and Colors Reef (Nov.12,2012 A years worth of growth)

imisky

Kfmmartin19
Thinking about getting a new tank built with the idea that I have to move the tanks location lol.... Thinking about 36x16x16 to make the tank slightly wider and taller...Cant decide if I actually want to do this or not.
sounds good to me! How bout this? http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_48_Gallon_Frameless_Glass_Aquarium_Tank_35.4_x_17.7_x_17.7_Inch_Rectangular_Aquariums-Mr._Aqua-AZ1119-FIAQRA-AZ1127-vi.html
  • Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be looking towards a low iron glass instead of float for the front panel. I have to figure this one out. I would also have to do some modifications to my stand as well to accommodate the size.

that would be cool but the shipping is killer

lol let alone shipping up to Canada, I dont even want to think about that

Kfmmartin19
I would be looking towards a low iron glass instead of float for the front panel. I have to figure this one out. I would also have to do some modifications to my stand as well to accommodate the size.

sounds sick!

haha i totally forgot you were in america's hat :P

Imisky,

I happened to click on the your blog link. Can you point me into the right direction to better understand 3d printing. Good sites, and even your thoughts. Thanks.

Imisky,

I happened to click on the your blog link. Can you point me into the right direction to better understand 3d printing. Good sites, and even your thoughts. Thanks.

There are lots out there, reprap.org has alot of the open source 3D printer information. otherwise lots of information can be found from google. My company does design of 3D printer and retail work, and there is also a forum that you can join to interact with our users/customers.

Now that you mention it, I should probably get back to using my blog lol. I find that when things pickup I tend to lose track of things I want to do.

There are lots out there, reprap.org has alot of the open source 3D printer information. otherwise lots of information can be found from google. My company does design of 3D printer and retail work, and there is also a forum that you can join to interact with our users/customers.

Now that you mention it, I should probably get back to using my blog lol. I find that when things pickup I tend to lose track of things I want to do.

Thank you for the lead and start. This is very interesting and trying to get hooked on the concept, like the reefing addiction. ;).

Thank you for the lead and start. This is very interesting and trying to get hooked on the concept, like the reefing addiction. ;).

Its a very nice hobby to get into if you have the skill set to go along with the reprap scene as it requires you to essentially know, software, electronics, soldering, programing, and a little bit of engineering to get everything right. There are other options out there that is a little bit less scary to start and I would definitely suggest going those routes. I think its good to understand where 3D printing at home stands today. Reprap is great if you have to time to spend tweaking at the printer as it isnt an "out of box" type of device. Printers like Ditto 3D Printer (the one that is produced by my company) or other more well refined versions of desktop 3D printers out there will provide a much friendlier way to get started without as much frustration.

Imisky,

Pretty nice build. I read the progress of the tank and IMo the real turn around in the coloration and growth of the sps came after you added the t5s. The previous LEDs looked nice, but looked like they weren't putting enough light evenly to the tank. I have a similar size tank with sps as well and am very interested to see the development of the colors now after you got the radion. I think it will put the t5s vs led quest to rest. Would you let us know your thoughts on any changes from the previous system to the new one after some time? Thanks and again congrats on the tank

Imisky,

Pretty nice build. I read the progress of the tank and IMo the real turn around in the coloration and growth of the sps came after you added the t5s. The previous LEDs looked nice, but looked like they weren't putting enough light evenly to the tank. I have a similar size tank with sps as well and am very interested to see the development of the colors now after you got the radion. I think it will put the t5s vs led quest to rest. Would you let us know your thoughts on any changes from the previous system to the new one after some time? Thanks and again congrats on the tank

Thanks,

ya for sure, I can definitely share my thoughts on the changes. Overall I havent done any change to the system except for the lights. everything is the same (aside from skimmer change too). My salt is still instant ocean Mg/Alk corrected. I'll be moving the tank to a different location in the house in the coming weeks. I predict that there will be some stress on the corals but shouldnt be too much. Once everything settles in I'll continue the observations. But so far I have nothing but goods things to say. The coloration has been pretty good and I am not even at 100% intensity yet. Which I think is possible to do.

Majority of the things has been moved to the new location in the house. I still have a ton of cleaning up to do but I think this will be good for the tank. The tank should get a ton of natural sunlight now, which should be quite nice.

During the move I also took a photo of this pink birdsnest..I didnt realise how pink it actually was until I saw it under sunlight. I was stunned so I took a photo.

Best wishes on the move. Hopefully something good comes out of it....

The best thing that happened for the move was that I was able to catch the talbots and yellow tang. Both going to new homes tomorrow :)

ya they do, you can get the frame from your local home depot in usually white and brown (weird color). The carbon fiber wrap however only comes black.

I have the white ones on mine. I was able to find the carbon fiber wrap in white on amazon. :)

Thinking about getting a new tank built with the idea that I have to move the tanks location lol.... Thinking about 36x16x16 to make the tank slightly wider and taller...Cant decide if I actually want to do this or not.

My tank is that dimension, you should do it.

Any plans on new fish stock?

I have the white ones on mine. I was able to find the carbon fiber wrap in white on amazon. :)

My tank is that dimension, you should do it.

Any plans on new fish stock?

Not many companies locally carry the white carbonfiber vinyls, but good to know that they care available on amazon if I ever need to use some :).

I might look at upgrading the tank to 36x16x16. Ive just moved the tank so I'll probably want to let it settle for a bit.

Stock wise, havent thought that far into it yet. I'll probably grab some utility fish first like the matte file fish and another type of algae grazer (blenny maybe). Havent thought what to get for free swimming fish though, thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

can never be too late for an update. I grabbed some fish last week for the tank. With the damsels gone, the new fish has settled in quite nicely. Even the copperband has started to eat PE mysis! took about a week to get him to eat and he does look a bit skinny now, but now that he eats its a matter of time before he is nice and fat.

But lets start the list

Labouti Wrasse:

8582168412_f1167fa263.jpg
labouti wrasse by ECSuyu, on Flickr
Copperband:

8582168468_d9b9e7fbd9.jpg
Copperband by ECSuyu, on Flickr
Matted Filefish:

8581067983_0df1e2a9b0.jpg
Matted Filefish by ECSuyu, on Flickr
Barred Rabbitfish:

8581068031_bc3dbe45db.jpg
Barred Rabbitfish by ECSuyu, on Flickr
and of course, we cant forget the front tank shot. everything has survived the move (through the house). I have to clean up a few frags that's been sitting on the bottom of the tank. but once all that is moved I can clean up the sand bad that has been messed up by the move and go from there to make it nice and white again.

8582168344_fd7f2de503.jpg

thanks guys. Ive now started to topoff with Kalkwasser instead of just RODI, I am finding that Im dosing a little too much and have to top off the containers too often. Im actually thinking about doing Ca reactor + dosing and if needed add kalk back into the equation

Archived