Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Imisky's Sticks and Colors Reef (Nov.12,2012 A years worth of growth)

imisky

Not sure if you caught the sarcasm in the post lol. But they are hung by wires right now in a really ghetto fashion, with a national holiday tomorrow I wonder if my metal supplier is going to be open so i can go pickup some 3/4" flatbar and make some rails with.

i did lol. sometimes you just have to do what you have to do

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol so true, the urge to get the new toy running sparks ways in which I would normally not do things.

On another note, its been a while since I last had blue moon lights before all the lights went out, hard to adjust seeing a blue tank right now. I miss the white moon light/fade out. I think its time to adjust the last few hours of the spectrum curve

Lol ghetto? I'm using zip ties! The hanging kit arrives tomorrow

lol trust me, zipties would look good compared to this :)

Photos as promised of the wire mounts, lol I cant stand the look of them. But I also wont be able to work on the new mount until sometime later this week. My fingers are itching to start it!

8466856366_16e5ddf797.jpg
Radion Wire Mount by ECSuyu, on Flickr

8465760209_126a11972c.jpg
Radion Wire Mount by ECSuyu, on Flickr

This is perhaps the poormans hanging kit lol, it doesnt look good, doesnt have adjustability, but does it work? Yes. So for now Im going to pretend they dont exist, and the radions are free floating. :) They are quantum locked in position lol (right.......)

I also took a photo of the tank as it stands right now. Some things are bleached. and some spots look empty. Im hoping I can salvage the remaining oregon torts and let them grow out. Borealis as well. It'll be fun to watch how these grow in.

Edit: The radions are hanging roughly 12-14" off the surface right now running at 65% at peak. Color rendering is fairly close to the actual photo. Spread is actually a little better than what the photo shows, to my eyes I dont see any shadows on the sides of the tank

8466856194_bc1c3e9fc9.jpg

Not sure if you caught the sarcasm in the post lol. But they are hung by wires right now in a really ghetto fashion, with a national holiday tomorrow I wonder if my metal supplier is going to be open so i can go pickup some 3/4" flatbar and make some rails with.

its only a provincial holiday :-)

Did you get the skimmer through Paul?

good stuff.... a bit high, why so..? acclimate?

it is very high lol. I didnt have enough solid wire hanging around. but its good for acclimation I guess. Once the mount system is finished It'll be fully adjustable for height

its only a provincial holiday :-) Did you get the skimmer through Paul?

I guess you are right, I wasnt expecting this holiday, took me by surprise but I'm not complaining. Yup the skimmer I got from Paul. I rarely make it out to JL and other places and OC is a great little place I hang out at during Sunday to reefgeek it out.

hahaha well my grandpa always used to say if it aint broke dont fix it :P

lol, I generally dont do these types of rigs because I know, temporary solutions usually become permenant ones. But this one has to go, or so I keep telling myself.

• Like 1

They are done! Stayed after work to machine some braces and finish my hanging kit for the radions. I think they turned out pretty good, the single hanging wire is pretty sleek. Painted the mount matte black and well its done! no more ghetto wires! Now let the photos flow.

**Going to machine a better looking spacer instead of using a stack of washers lol.

8472869868_9913257112.jpg

8471777057_c09017567a.jpg

wow so much better then the normal hanging kit. well done.

thanks, took quite a bit of time to make sure everything is within tolerance but it paid off. I was expecting some sagging to happen in the middle, but from what I can tell with the naked eye...there isnt much deflection, if any at all.

Edit: Not sure why ecotech didnt go for something more simple like this. Tolerance is an issue in mass manufacturing but it should be doable with their buying power

• 2 weeks later...

A small but fun update for me. I added a mesh top over the tank, there has been quite a lot of fish that I like, that I've avoided for the past couple of years because they are jumpers. Well no more! I spent a bit of time debating whether or not I should vinyl wrap the frame..I wanted matted black, was going to paint it but ended up going with a wrap. Didnt have matted black vinyl so opted for carbon fiber. I think it turned out pretty slick. It reflects just enough to catch your eye not not enough to have a "bling" effect when the lights

shine over it.

I've also been slowly upping my intensity on my lights and im currently at 70% for most of the settings. Corals are doing really well and actually some are coloring up better than before.

Enough typing, now photos!

The mounting kit and the mesh cover turned out very well, nice job.

thanks! :)

slick.... very nice i need to do my top so i can add my fish too..

Ya ive been wanting wrasses and other more timid fish..

lol I like to try new things, so ya, boredom sounds about right. There are some aspects that I stay true to the saying "if its not broken, dont fix it" other times I like to play around

Top looks nice, do they come in white?

ya they do, you can get the frame from your local home depot in usually white and brown (weird color). The carbon fiber wrap however only comes black.

Thinking about getting a new tank built with the idea that I have to move the tanks location lol.... Thinking about 36x16x16 to make the tank slightly wider and taller...Cant decide if I actually want to do this or not.

Archived