Top Shelf Aquatics

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and there's one other thing that's been keeping me busy... Kind of a big deal, at least, I hope it will be. I'm working on lobbying congress (I'm in the very early stages) to protect the benefits of the tens of thousands of veterans who have been "administratively removed" from the service since 2001. So in addition to my full-time status as a student, I'm also writing legislative briefs and doing tons of research in preparation for a full scale lobbying effort which will take place over the next year or so. Big things going on over in kgoldy's world right now.

Impressive. You didn't happen to be the Valedictorian of your high school graduating class did you? My friend was and she sounds exactly like you. Always extremely busy and always adding more to her workload. :wacko:

llama roadkill

My favorite contribution of yours is the Jawfish House. I will definitely be using that in my build. I'm sure my Jawfish will be thankful!

I'm so sorry about your tank. :( I couldn't imagine having to tear down a tank that awesome.

What's wrong with the wet sides on the MP40s?

After replacing a bunch of wetsides (MP-40 and MP-10), I found that the more often I cleaned them, the more quickly they wore out. These wetsides haven't been cleaned in over a year, and I assume they're all ground up inside.

Impressive. You didn't happen to be the Valedictorian of your high school graduating class did you? My friend was and she sounds exactly like you. Always extremely busy and always adding more to her workload. :wacko:

I was a terrible student in high school. My "life plan" had been enlisting in the military since I was very young, and I knew the military would take me regardless of my grades. It took a deployment to Iraq and a lot of growing-up-fast to teach me the value of an education, so now I'm trying to make up for lost time.

Great to hear you're feeling better and fighting for your rights and those like you.

Thanks bud. Once I get a little more organized and catch up with school work, I'll keep updating on here as to my progress.

I miss you

I'm still here! P.S. I've been thinking about being a jerk and holding onto the coral propagation kit. They're useful tools, even without a tank.

My favorite contribution of yours is the Jawfish House. I will definitely be using that in my build. I'm sure my Jawfish will be thankful!

I'm so sorry about your tank. :( I couldn't imagine having to tear down a tank that awesome.

The jawfish house is available, if you'd like to buy. How's $30 plus shipping sound?

jedimasterben

After replacing a bunch of wetsides (MP-40 and MP-10), I found that the more often I cleaned them, the more quickly they wore out. These wetsides haven't been cleaned in over a year, and I assume they're all ground up inside.

Interesting. Only ones I've seen that get ground up (on the back, where the magnet seems to hit the plastic cover) basically had bent shafts that made it spin funky.

PM me a price for one of them if you're willing to split them up. I just don't need two of them since I've already got two on my main tank.

Reposting because it's getting to be the chili time of year.

Non tank related... But hey, it's going to get cold sooner or later- so this is important:

Chipotle Chili recipe edit in bold and italics or strikethrough- (originally posted here)

:lockdown: I AM THE CHILI MASTER! :lockdown:

Finally got the perfect Chipotle Chili recipe figured out! After a few experiments this season- it's been narrowed down. Since I am so nice, I will share. :flower:

I'm serious- try this. It's college dorm apartment friendly, if you have a crock-pot and full kitchen. I'll list the stuff you need for those who are living on Ramen and want something different.

It's more "flavorful" than "spicy-hot". I'm not into the whole gut burning thing. If you use Chipotle Tobasco sauce, this is the chili for you.

Equipment-
Extra Large Mixing Bowl
Large Frying Pan with Glass Cover
Spatula
Cookie Sheet
Oven
Stove Top
Sharp Knife
Cutting Board (having two makes life easier. One for meat with the channels for drainage, other for vegies)
Gloves (I use nitrile gloves any time I cook with hot spices or onions)
Crock-Pot
Can Opener

Ingredients-
51BWD-nWjXL._SL250_.jpg

^This is the ingredient I have been searching for. This must be Goya- everything else can be whatever brand you like, and it won't make much difference.

(1)7oz can of Goya Chili Chipotles
(1)16oz 28oz can of Black Beans
(1)16oz 28oz can of Kidney Beans
(2) Two cans of Corn (mix it up, get one white, one sweet, something like that. The difference is texture adds to the dish)
(2) Two 28oz cans of Diced Tomatoes
(2) Sweet Peppers (I prefer one yellow, one orange- but any color will do)
(1) medium sized Sweet Onion
(5) Garlic Cloves (or crushed, diced, jarred equivalent)
(2) Pounds Beef Chuck Steak
(1) Pound Spicy Italian Sausage
(2) 6 oz cans tomato paste

Spices- Do these to taste. It's really hard to "over spice" chili. Start with a teaspoon of each and work your way up until it smells or tastes right to you.

Cumin
Coriander
Paprika
Chili Powder
Tumeric

Recommended sides-

Goya Yellow Rice
Velveeta Mac-N-Cheese
Egg Noodles

Instructions-

Open all cans 90% of the way, (except tomato paste) so that the top can act as a strainer while it's still attached.

Drain juice from Chili Chipotles into large mixing bowl.

Set all OTHER cans (again, except tomato paste) on their sides in the sink so they can drain the liquid out. None of this liquid is needed and will only overflow the crockpot.

Dice Chili Chipotles, sweet peppers and sweet onion to the size you like seeing in chili. I shoot for about 1/2" x 3/4" pieces. Chili Chipotles can be diced smaller if you want to avoid sudden hot bites in the chili. Place them in the large mixing bowl.

Finely chop or dice garlic cloves, add to mixing bowl.

Use gloved hands or utensil to mix everything that's in the bowl (peppers, onions, chipotle chilis)- then spread it evenly on the cookie sheet.

Place cookie sheet on highest rack in oven, then set to a low broil. You want to slightly dry, and slightly burn the veggies to get the top layer of them to be a little crispy and charred. Pay attention to the oven while proceeding with the next steps.

Add 1/2" of water to the large frying pan. Cook hot Italian sausages over medium high heat, flip every two minutes until they are well done. Check oven to make sure veggies aren't on fire.

Once sausages are done, put to the side to cool put them on top of the veggies so the sausage chars a little. DO NOT DRAIN WATER FROM PAN.

Add steak to the frying pan and cook over medium heat until outside is brown. I prefer a very tender steak in my chili, so I keep it on the rare side. If you want very defined harder meaty chunks, cook longer. Discard water from pan when you're done with the steak.

Remove veggies from oven if you haven't already. Your house should now smell AWESOME.

Slice and dice meats to whatever size you prefer.

Add ALL INGREDIENTS to the mixing bowl (don't forget the cans draining in the sink and tomato paste). Add spices to taste. Mix with gloved hands, or utensil.

Add everything to the Crock-Pot, set to MEDIUM and cook for 10 hours. Serve or chill when done.

This is a ton of food, and should last the average single dude about 5-7 days.

:happydance:

Tomato paste has been added to the recipe to thicken the chili- the original recipe was too chunky to be in a watery sauce. 28oz cans were the original recipe... don't know why I had them listed as 16 oz. Cheers!

Man that really sucks about the tank. I couldn't even imagine having to break something down like that, I can feel my back already giving out.

Oh, and there's one other thing that's been keeping me busy... Kind of a big deal, at least, I hope it will be. I'm working on lobbying congress (I'm in the very early stages) to protect the benefits of the tens of thousands of veterans who have been "administratively removed" from the service since 2001. So in addition to my full-time status as a student, I'm also writing legislative briefs and doing tons of research in preparation for a full scale lobbying effort which will take place over the next year or so. Big things going on over in kgoldy's world right now.

I was almost one of these. When I got out in '03 they were doing major cut backs in the Navy, IIRC they were cutting something like 60,000 people. They had all sorts of programs in place, the biggest one was the Blue to Green where they were trying to get people to cross over into the Army. There were all sorts of incentives for it, sign on bonuses and stuff. If you didn't go for that you were basically on your own. My enlistment was up so I opted to get out on my own.

I tried to go back in a couple years later but they hit me with these new tattoo regulations. I broke every one of them. Ironic thing is I got all my tattoos while I was in. Didn't have any before and haven't gotten any after.

Have you heard anything about all the higher ranking military officers suddenly being removed from their positions? Hold on lemme find the article.

http://conservativeangle.com/u-s-army-general-calling-for-the-forced-resignations-of-barack-hussein-obama-and-other-administration-officials/

I thought that was a very interesting read.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
aww look at you, all chi-ed out.

You need carbon. that water is yellow. An IM mini reactor will be good.

:flower:

its ambient room lighting and not low iron glass. I'm assuming that's the cause of the yellow tint.
jedimasterben

its ambient room lighting and not low iron glass. I'm assuming that's the cause of the yellow tint.

Also the halogen light in the little enclosure thing lol.

aww look at you, all chi-ed out.

You need carbon. that water is yellow. An IM mini reactor will be good.

:flower:

Snow outside with mid-day sun in the background, plus google(whatever-app) doing it's "auto-awesome" thing = yellow tint.

He needs a carbon reactor.

Carbon?!? We need more carbon!!!

If you guys seriously think I'm ever doing a water change or filtering water in any way, you clearly don't remember who I am.

Also the halogen light in the little enclosure thing lol.

It's white LEDs, covered in algae slime. So that probably adds to the yellow color now too.

Archived