inTank Media Baskets

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non tank related... But hey, it's going to get cold sooner or later- so this is important:

Chipotle Chili recipe edit in bold and italics or strikethrough- (originally posted here)

:lockdown: I AM THE CHILI MASTER! :lockdown:

Finally got the perfect Chipotle Chili recipe figured out! After a few experiments this season- it's been narrowed down. Since I am so nice, I will share. :flower:

I'm serious- try this. It's college dorm apartment friendly, if you have a crock-pot and full kitchen. I'll list the stuff you need for those who are living on Ramen and want something different.

It's more "flavorful" than "spicy-hot". I'm not into the whole gut burning thing. If you use Chipotle Tobasco sauce, this is the chili for you.

Equipment-

Extra Large Mixing Bowl

Large Frying Pan with Glass Cover

Spatula

Cookie Sheet

Oven

Stove Top

Sharp Knife

Cutting Board (having two makes life easier. One for meat with the channels for drainage, other for vegies)

Gloves (I use nitrile gloves any time I cook with hot spices or onions)

Crock-Pot

Can Opener

Ingredients-

51BWD-nWjXL._SL250_.jpg

^This is the ingredient I have been searching for. This must be Goya- everything else can be whatever brand you like, and it won't make much difference.

(1)7oz can of Goya Chili Chipotles

(1)16oz 28oz can of Black Beans

(1)16oz 28oz can of Kidney Beans

(2) Two cans of Corn (mix it up, get one white, one sweet, something like that. The difference is texture adds to the dish)

(2) Two 28oz cans of Diced Tomatoes

(2) Sweet Peppers (I prefer one yellow, one orange- but any color will do)

(1) medium sized Sweet Onion

(5) Garlic Cloves (or crushed, diced, jarred equivalent)

(2) Pounds Beef Chuck Steak

(1) Pound Spicy Italian Sausage

(2) 6 oz cans tomato paste

Spices- Do these to taste. It's really hard to "over spice" chili. Start with a teaspoon of each and work your way up until it smells or tastes right to you.

Cumin

Coriander

Paprika

Chili Powder

Tumeric

Recommended sides-

Goya Yellow Rice

Velveeta Mac-N-Cheese

Egg Noodles

Instructions-

Open all cans 90% of the way, (except tomato paste) so that the top can act as a strainer while it's still attached.

Drain juice from Chili Chipotles into large mixing bowl.

Set all OTHER cans (again, except tomato paste) on their sides in the sink so they can drain the liquid out. None of this liquid is needed and will only overflow the crockpot.

Dice Chili Chipotles, sweet peppers and sweet onion to the size you like seeing in chili. I shoot for about 1/2" x 3/4" pieces. Chili Chipotles can be diced smaller if you want to avoid sudden hot bites in the chili. Place them in the large mixing bowl.

Finely chop or dice garlic cloves, add to mixing bowl.

Use gloved hands or utensil to mix everything that's in the bowl (peppers, onions, chipotle chilis)- then spread it evenly on the cookie sheet.

Place cookie sheet on highest rack in oven, then set to a low broil. You want to slightly dry, and slightly burn the veggies to get the top layer of them to be a little crispy and charred. Pay attention to the oven while proceeding with the next steps.

Add 1/2" of water to the large frying pan. Cook hot Italian sausages over medium high heat, flip every two minutes until they are well done. Check oven to make sure veggies aren't on fire.

Once sausages are done, put to the side to cool put them on top of the veggies so the sausage chars a little. DO NOT DRAIN WATER FROM PAN.

Add steak to the frying pan and cook over medium heat until outside is brown. I prefer a very tender steak in my chili, so I keep it on the rare side. If you want very defined harder meaty chunks, cook longer. Discard water from pan when you're done with the steak.

Remove veggies from oven if you haven't already. Your house should now smell AWESOME.

Slice and dice meats to whatever size you prefer.

Add ALL INGREDIENTS to the mixing bowl (don't forget the cans draining in the sink and tomato paste). Add spices to taste. Mix with gloved hands, or utensil.

Add everything to the Crock-Pot, set to MEDIUM and cook for 10 hours. Serve or chill when done.

This is a ton of food, and should last the average single dude about 5-7 days.

:happydance:

Tomato paste has been added to the recipe to thicken the chili- the original recipe was too chunky to be in a watery sauce. 28oz cans were the original recipe... don't know why I had them listed as 16 oz. Cheers!

I still need to try your chilli.

On Monday I'm delivering one of my booths waaaaaay way upstate... So I could drop by with some chili and your damn coral that'stotallystartingtoencrustandlookallniceandI'mtemptedtokeep.

p.s. Did you frag that monti plate for me yet? :flower:

On Monday I'm delivering one of my booths waaaaaay way upstate... So I could drop by with some chili and your damn coral that'stotallystartingtoencrustandlookallniceandI'mtemptedtokeep.

p.s. Did you frag that monti plate for me yet? :flower:

:) come on ovah! txt me what time and stuff.

Yes I have the monti plate for you in exchange for thatcoralthatyouwillnotkeep!

I've got king midas, do you have Rastas?????? huh huh huh?

I want brittle stars too.

:) come on ovah! txt me what time and stuff.

Yes I have the monti plate for you in exchange for thatcoralthatyouwillnotkeep!

I've got king midas, do you have Rastas?????? huh huh huh?

I want brittle stars too.

I've had the same 5 rastas for like 8 months. They don't like to grow. :(

That pic is very accurate. I have very mixed sand (as I guess you know), and used a spaghetti strainer to take out anything that isn't fine enough to fit through it... So my sand is very not pink anymore.

If you're going for pink sand, this will set you straight. Mix any other sand with it, and the pink will dilute very fast.

...hmm... I wonder if that pink sand is why my dry rock became totally encrusted in coraline so quickly...

Here's are links to a site that shows all kinds of pink and not so pink substrate

http://compare.ebay.com/like/200546961792?...es&var=sbar

http://www.marinedepot.com/fiji+pink+sand-si.html

Little pic dump. Damn polds n ginks are taking over the entire left side of my tank. These pics are pre-mass-paly murder. I filled about a third of a quart sized container with palys last night. :angry:

016-1.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

017.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

You have a very nice tank and crazy polyp growth =) How do you do it!

May I answer for him?

NO WATER CHANGES FOR OVER A YEAR.

NO TESTING OF PARAMS SINCE 2011

KALK in ATO.

40B full of caulerpa and 19G chaeto and mangrove channel for nutrient export.

And he kind of yells at the inhabitants once in a while.

There.

What are the orange ones on the right side here

011.jpg

with the green eyes and dark skirts.

and is the sunset monti fraggable?

hey cute clam in there!

No idea. I think I picked them up at the last frag swap we went to together. Or maybe they came in a "my hand is effing bleeding, lets swap frags" trade.

Sunset monti fraggable?- no. I think all my encrusting montis are going to have to be sold with the mondo pieces of rock that they're on, when I break down the tank.

Clammy only looks great from one perspective, and this isn't it. He's actually a really nice metallic green.

You have a very nice tank and crazy polyp growth =) How do you do it!

Kat's pretty much got this covered...

May I answer for him?

NO WATER CHANGES FOR OVER A YEAR.

NO TESTING OF PARAMS SINCE 2011

KALK in ATO.

40B full of caulerpa and 19G chaeto and mangrove channel for nutrient export.

And he kind of yells at the inhabitants once in a while.

There.

+Heavy feeding of ReefCleaners.org Filter Feeder Formula.

+No carbon/skimmer/filter

:haha:

Errbody knows my mangrove fuge is ~16 gallons.

Due to a little splashing that became a leak, I lost a few gallons the other day onto my nice hardwood floors. So much water, in fact... That I may be forced to break out my refractometer and check my salinity! :scarry:

What are the orange ones on the right side here

011.jpg

hey cute clam in there!

I love this picture. I can't even find a clam in it omgomgomg.

Do you still got this guy?

8ce634cc.jpg

Oh! I found the clam finally. That's how you KNOW you've got a nice full tank.

I love this picture. I can't even find a clam in it omgomgomg.

Do you still got this guy?

8ce634cc.jpg

Oh! I found the clam finally. That's how you KNOW you've got a nice full tank.

He's in a few of the recent pics. Far left in this one. The nem is still about the same size since he never gets fed.

018.jpg

So- in reefing news today: My Tunze Osmolator's power supply fried itself. Melted plastic and smoke everywhere. Really hope the entire unit isn't dead. :(

So- in reefing news today: My Tunze Osmolator's power supply fried itself. Melted plastic and smoke everywhere. Really hope the entire unit isn't dead. :(

That's a bummer indeed !

2012-09-30_17-15-29_858.jpg

Woohoo! Fixed it!

Did some digging and found this.

Anyway, you can order the power supply on tunze.com, part 5012.010, Aquarium Specialty and Premium Aquatics also list these for order.

If you wanted to go the radio shack route, it is possible, I will give you the specs.

The tip is tip positive 5 * 2.5 mm.

The power supply needs to be 9-12V and have a minimum capacity of 1200mA.

Repair cost: $32

At Radioshack I got the Enercell 12VDC 1.5A AC-to-DC power adapter... and the Enercell Adaptaplug "L".

The end of the wire has the word "TIP" stamped on it (can't see in the pics, sorry) and you need to align that with the + (positive) side of the adaptaplug.

2012-09-30_17-39-03_582.jpg

2012-09-30_17-39-25_747.jpg

2012-09-30_17-40-01_133.jpg

2012-09-30_17-40-38_499.jpg

TL DR. am I getting those bleeding hand zoas or what.

We'll talk about them bleedin hand PALYs when you come pick up your magic sauce frag you made me make like two months ago. ;)

Archived