Pod Your Reef

Think my Blue tang has ich! PLease Help!

heavymetalmullet

You will know next time what to do to treat ich and if you ever need to treat velvet (fine powder on the fish) then use Seachem Cupramine. Also I must add this note, never ever use a dechlorinator with Cupramine to control ammonia like Seachem Prime as it will bind with the amine in Cupramine and relase the copper into a toxic form.

it is best to do water change when using Cupramine to control ammonia but I never used Cupramine and will never use it unless I need to treat velvet. For ich it's really hyposalinity and a full 4 weeks after the last spots are gone.

Don't worry, accoonamatata :)

Yeah man I realised too late that I probably should have taken the Hyposalinity option. :(
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wrasseWrangler

Another great way to treat ich and surprised no one has said this yet. The fish's immune system. Alot of the time the fish will be capable of fighting of the disease itself. You will place the fish in more harm by throwing it in - usually - an unstable quarantine tank followed by a crap load of chemicals.

Genj,

Don't try and reason with these two morons, they are just repeating the TP song. They have no experience in this topic and are just little robots repeating what they read on the "internet". I like many others have housed tangs in 50 gallon tanks for "YEARS" with no disease and no problems.... Ofcourse when the fish gets huge - because its size is definitely not stunted - it moves to another home.

Sorry for the troubles heavymetalmullet,

Next time just try letting the fish heal itself, you will probably by happily surprised.

Genj... are you saying because someone isn't completely environmentally friendly, they are the same as someone who purposefully keeps animals in stressful situations? Because of this, it justifies someone adding a hippo tang to a 34 gallon tank? "Well you're not a saint, so don't judge what I do." Is that your philosophy?

It's hard to answer your question, because your statement makes assumptions that the debate on tangs has already been decided. From my research I have yet to find any clear evidence that a blue hippo tang experiences any less quality off life be it in a reasonably sized tank, such as my 34g, or a 150g tank when you factor in what you can scientifically factor in.

The personal feelings of the tang are created out of thin air to justify treating your fellow person like crap for emotional reasons. It's a false argument.

Do I feel that someone that judges one life to be more valuable than another to be a hypocrite? Yes, because they are not qualified to make that judgment. Be it snail, tang, or the salmon that someone just ate at the local Outback. It makes no sense that someone can sit on high, while preaching to others.

I *think* I know your personal feelings Med, I've read your tank threads, and i think you are a smart guy and I'm sure I would enjoy hanging out with you. But you just had a fish die on you in transport. If the 'feelings' of the fish are a concern, then how can one draw a line to put the life of that fish, and the risk associated with transport, below the blue hippo tang that is alive in mine?

If someone REALLY cared, they would create the solution, rather than be an agitator. But in fact, I don't think many people do really care, they just act on their own instinct and what makes them feel better.

I have no need to defend myself; as any information that is presented to you is immediately discounted and ignored. The fact is, I found this thread after the fish had died. Additionally I posted a very nice link that contains quite a bit of 'information' that is helpful; however, you said, "The fish died... And no one cares about your TP counter-argument. It's nothing we all haven't heard a thousand times before. k?"

Look, zero, you can claim whatever you want. Make fantastic absurd claims, that you know what you are talking about, I don't mind really. But that fact is, you are a hypocrite. You ride around on your dirt bikes, ask about how to kill snails, and present your argument as the high ground with nothing more than your emotion and opinion as your justification. You failed your own morality test through your lifestyle.

Your ego won't allow you to learn and become reasonable, of that I am sure. So feel free to make further claims, but remember; let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

What the ####? Who the #### is this guy? Since when do i ask about killing snails and ride dirtbikes? And what the #### do you know about my lifestyle?... By the way, i gather my information from experience. It has nothing to do with emotions or opinions. Systematically time after time these blue tang/tang threads come in, and what is the end result? The fish dies. I could give a #### if you can defend yourself or not. This entire argument and this thread has nothing to do with you. You are trying to portray yourself as all knowledgeable and experienced, when clearly you are the exact opposite. And that link you gave? So helpful bro.. ####.. if you hadn't have posted that i think the blue tang would have died for sure. Oh wait... it did. Like i said before, get off your high horse jackass.

And actually, i will cast the first stone considering i wanted to put a tang in my first tank witch was a 55G, but reviewed the information that CLEARLY presented itself, and found out that tangs in smaller aquariums usually don't do so well, so i decided against it. With that being said, OF COURSE, there will always be a fish that survives another year or two, but that isn't the majority of the outcomes. I know better than to go against the evidence, experience, and knowledge of people either going through the process or that have already gone through it.

There is absolutely no reason to continue this thread because arrogant bastards like yourself and wrassewrangler will keep destroying it. This is NOT a thread where advanced aquarists can discuss how they feel about the challenges of keeping larger fish in smaller aquariums. This thread was created by a novice looking for help on how to keep HIS BLUE TANG ALIVE IN A 47G AQUARIUM. History repeats itself, time after time, and that is why his blue tang is dead and either flushed or buried. Whichever comes first.

If you keep a tang in your 34G, then to me you are just as much jackass as good ol' wrassewrangler over here.

Goodbye terrible thread.

What the ####? Who the #### is this guy? Since when do i ask about killing snails and ride dirtbikes? And what the #### do you know about my lifestyle?... By the way, i gather my information from experience. It has nothing to do with emotions or opinions. Systematically time after time these blue tang/tang threads come in, and what is the end result? The fish dies. I could give a #### if you can defend yourself or not. This entire argument and this thread has nothing to do with you. You are trying to portray yourself as all knowledgeable and experienced, when clearly you are the exact opposite. And that link you gave? So helpful bro.. ####.. if you hadn't have posted that i think the blue tang would have died for sure. Oh wait... it did. Like i said before, get off your high horse jackass.

And actually, i will cast the first stone considering i wanted to put a tang in my first tank witch was a 55G, but reviewed the information that CLEARLY presented itself, and found out that tangs in smaller aquariums usually don't do so well, so i decided against it. With that being said, OF COURSE, there will always be a fish that survives another year or two, but that isn't the majority of the outcomes. I know better than to go against the evidence, experience, and knowledge of people either going through the process or that have already gone through it.

There is absolutely no reason to continue this thread because arrogant bastards like yourself and wrassewrangler will keep destroying it. This is NOT a thread where advanced aquarists can discuss how they feel about the challenges of keeping larger fish in smaller aquariums. This thread was created by a novice looking for help on how to keep HIS BLUE TANG ALIVE IN A 47G AQUARIUM. History repeats itself, time after time, and that is why his blue tang is dead and either flushed or buried. Whichever comes first.

If you keep a tang in your 34G, then to me you are just as much jackass as good ol' wrassewrangler over here.

Goodbye terrible thread.

Emotional, ad hominem, and expected response.

BTW, it's called 'Find Member's Topics'....

wrasseWrangler
Emotional, ad hominem, and expected response.

BTW, it's called 'Find Member's Topics'....

LOL,

not to mention the poor fish did not die because of a 34 gallon tank. It died of copper poisoning...

It's hard to answer your question, because your statement makes assumptions that the debate on tangs has already been decided. From my research I have yet to find any clear evidence that a blue hippo tang experiences any less quality off life be it in a reasonably sized tank, such as my 34g, or a 150g tank when you factor in what you can scientifically factor in.

The personal feelings of the tang are created out of thin air to justify treating your fellow person like crap for emotional reasons. It's a false argument.

Do I feel that someone that judges one life to be more valuable than another to be a hypocrite? Yes, because they are not qualified to make that judgment. Be it snail, tang, or the salmon that someone just ate at the local Outback. It makes no sense that someone can sit on high, while preaching to others.

I *think* I know your personal feelings Med, I've read your tank threads, and i think you are a smart guy and I'm sure I would enjoy hanging out with you. But you just had a fish die on you in transport. If the 'feelings' of the fish are a concern, then how can one draw a line to put the life of that fish, and the risk associated with transport, below the blue hippo tang that is alive in mine?

If someone REALLY cared, they would create the solution, rather than be an agitator. But in fact, I don't think many people do really care, they just act on their own instinct and what makes them feel better.

Genj... I know more than anyone that the trade behind the storefront is full of death. I almost purchased a fish store before moving down to LA. The owner of that store also ran a wholesale business... and a very honest business at that. Despite the best wishes and care, a LOT of fish die in transit. Fish have to be shipped to wholesalers, stores, and individuals. That hippo tang in your tank was shipped to at least two destinations before it arrived in your tank.

There is a huge difference between that and willfully keeping a fish in an environment that's too small for it. That's cruel imo. Can you imagine a person being plucked off a street and then confined to a house for all of their life. It's plenty of space for sure... but it's not healthy... especially when it's not what they are used to or in their nature. The same can be seen in zoos around the world. A lion kept in an enclosure much to small for it. It may live a long time, but why would you do that? Just for the enjoyment of having one and being able to look at it? There is a difference between keeping something alive and having it thrive. I'm in it for the latter.

I think it's the responsibility of aquarist to make sure they are doing the right thing for the animals they keep. Every animal I keep in my tanks, not only do not require large areas to cover, but are pretty territorial to footprints the size of the tank I'm keeping them in. One of the major joys I receive in this hobby is creating a slice of the reef. Keeping species that stay to scale through their adult life is a requirement.

Genj, can you honestly look at your FTS and say that in 3 dimensions, a blue hippo tang is going to thrive?

fts3.jpg

The wrasse you are keeping doesn't fit with the scale of your tank, let alone a tang. Even the dissenting article that was posted above regarding the authors hate of the tang police says that a 34 gallon tank is 126 gallons too small for the fish you are wanting to keep.

Regardless of how you feel about hypocrites, it's ultimately up to you to do the right thing.

No, I can't say that it will thrive. I never have and never will. What I am saying is that the act of irrationally patrolling tank size to fish species is bad science. There is nothing in it that supports what is already happening. It's like preaching abstinence to a pregnant teenager, but instead of talking to them about abstinence, the person is screaming at them and telling them how stupid they are. It's as asinine as the hybrid owner sneering at the SUV owner while they both put gasoline into their car.

Furthermore, no one ever links any real scientific data about the topic, just anecdotal 'the earth is flat' examples.

I truly am willing to change myself based upon sound evidence; however, for every 'my tang has ich' thread that is out there are there untold stories about how someone has owned a tang for the expected life span, starting in a small tank and adjusting as needed?

Meanwhile, I've sent an email out to one of the professors that is referenced in the article to try to get some real data and see if any studies have been performed.

Yeah, these tang threads never disappoint...unless you are looking for information or help...

Nevermind, I'm officially disappointed in myself for reading the same old arguments again.

No, I can't say that it will thrive. I never have and never will. What I am saying is that the act of irrationally patrolling tank size to fish species is bad science. There is nothing in it that supports what is already happening. It's like preaching abstinence to a pregnant teenager, but instead of talking to them about abstinence, the person is screaming at them and telling them how stupid they are. It's as asinine as the hybrid owner sneering at the SUV owner while they both put gasoline into their car.

Furthermore, no one ever links any real scientific data about the topic, just anecdotal 'the earth is flat' examples.

I truly am willing to change myself based upon sound evidence; however, for every 'my tang has ich' thread that is out there are there untold stories about how someone has owned a tang for the expected life span, starting in a small tank and adjusting as needed?

Meanwhile, I've sent an email out to one of the professors that is referenced in the article to try to get some real data and see if any studies have been performed.

Unlike a pregnant teenager, someone with the wrong fish can easily find another home for their fish... whether it's going back to the LFS for credit, or another aquarist in their area. It's not rocket science to realize an animal that spends it's life hitting speeds faster than we can power walk and roaming a reef should not be confined to a 20" footprint. A smart, caring person wouldn't keep a great dane in a 500 sq/ft apartment.

heavymetalmullet
Sorry to hear that man.

With regards to the phosphate remover. I have only ever used Rowa Phos, but with that you can just put it in the bag/sock, and buy a cheap little internal filter, remove the sponge and put the bag in there. Worked a charm for me.

City or United? Haha

Would this type of filter be suitable?? http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...ter-p-1110.html

Would this type of filter be suitable?? http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...ter-p-1110.html

Bit big and too much flow IMO. You're only going to need 100-150ml or so and a bit of floss. One of the smaller two models here may do the trick, no need for an eyesore if it's going in the display.

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...p-c-62_145.html

City or United? Haha

eric-cantona_1389972c.jpg

heavymetalmullet
Bit big and too much flow IMO. You're only going to need 100-150ml or so and a bit of floss. One of the smaller two models here may do the trick, no need for an eyesore if it's going in the display.

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...p-c-62_145.html

Thanks Nibor! They're also a lot cheaper which is kinder on my bank balance :lol:

It mentions having a foam filter already inside, would I need to buy some floss seperately?

Thanks Nibor! They're also a lot cheaper which is kinder on my bank balance :lol:

It mentions having a foam filter already inside, would I need to buy some floss seperately?

Most small internal filters are filled with a foam block and sometimes a small carbon cartridge. You could cut the foam down to make some space. Much less expensive long run to use the old fashioned floss like you see in 1970/80s aquarium books, don't bother with the branded floss. Change it every few days and it should do a good job helping to polish your water for you.

The cheapest stuff halfway down this page is the type of stuff.

heavymetalmullet
Most small internal filters are filled with a foam block and sometimes a small carbon cartridge. You could cut the foam down to make some space. Much less expensive long run to use the old fashioned floss like you see in 1970/80s aquarium books, don't bother with the branded floss. Change it every few days and it should do a good job helping to polish your water for you.

The cheapest stuff halfway down this page is the type of stuff.

Excellent thanks for your help matey. I'll get one of those smaller internal filters then, some of that floss and a media sock. Hopefully this will kill off some of the algae on my live rock and sand.

Basically, what Nibor said!

Shame he's a United fan tho... True Mancs are blue, United have the rest of the World...

Hope the filter works out for you, certainly did for me (and the new polished water from the floss I think's brilliant too)

Archived