SaltCritters.com

Think my Blue tang has ich! PLease Help!

heavymetalmullet

Come on people the main thing is this guy wants to look after his fish, he's just made the mistake of housing it in a tank too small. It's not an irreversable mistake and it looks like he will take the right advice.

He's not exactly trying to defend the decision - and he did not do it intentionally so please just drop it. Clogging up this thread with pathetic unrelated arguments ... send private messages to eachother instead!!

We all make noob mistakes and DONT tell me you didn't when you started because you would have!

Heavy I hope your Tang gets better, and when you move her to a bigger tank/ sell her on, consider a wrasse instead, by sixline is a beaut,

nightnight

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool!

Yea they are a bunch of fn idiots! They think they are so godly it is rediculas!

For the record I have had my tang for over a year, with no problems. You keep your water clean and they will be fine, of course you put it in a 5 gallon and you might have problems.

Enjoy your tang, get another tang, they are great fish!

I saw your tank... Cool rockscape, but your still a FN Jacka$$

Your intelligence is showing. Go read a book... especially one on proper reef husbandry

There's actually two opposites. A person who does not know better because they are new to the hobby, but ultimately strives to do the right thing and returns the animal which is not right for tank size. And then there is the jackass that cares nothing about the animals they purchase and only wants them for their own viewing pleasure, regardless of the animals proven needs to be healthy. Happy and all other emotions are crap when it comes to fish. Healthy is what we strive for. Healthy = Happy, as far as we know.

+1

wrasseWrangler
The fact that you have a tang in a 47 gallon tang is what incites the tang police. It shows you didn't research at all before buying it. The question now is... do you want to do the right thing? or do you want to get defensive about others giving you good advice. Look at the posts counts of those saying it's ok to have a tang in a tank that small... and look at the post counts of those against it.

and Wrasse Wrangler himself has called for the tang police on several occasions.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3101464

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3171027

again bla bla bla..

I call for you all because you are freakin entertaining...

Cool brain huh! wana buy it? I will give you a great deal.

Right.. because post count is everything...

again bla bla bla..

Are you a member of any of the local reef keeping chapters?

again bla bla bla..

What's entertaining is having your ignorant ass handed to you on a silver platter, after YOU called upon the tang police in the first place. Some people have self destructive tendencies. You should get that checked out bro.

heavymetalmullet
Come on people the main thing is this guy wants to look after his fish, he's just made the mistake of housing it in a tank too small. It's not an irreversable mistake and it looks like he will take the right advice.

He's not exactly trying to defend the decision - and he did not do it intentionally so please just drop it. Clogging up this thread with pathetic unrelated arguments ... send private messages to eachother instead!!

We all make noob mistakes and DONT tell me you didn't when you started because you would have!

Heavy I hope your Tang gets better, and when you move her to a bigger tank/ sell her on, consider a wrasse instead, by sixline is a beaut,

nightnight

Thanks Roz, i'm glad someone here can word things nicely! :)

Tang police, whatever next..... :lol:

wrasseWrangler
Thanks Roz, i'm glad someone here can word things nicely! :)

Tang police, whatever next..... :lol:

Hey man try a leopard wrasse too. Great fish!

I have had mine for over 2 years. Started out as a female and now its a male. Really cool thing to watch them change sex!

There's actually two opposites. A person who does not know better because they are new to the hobby, but ultimately strives to do the right thing and returns the animal which is not right for tank size. And then there is the jackass that cares nothing about the animals they purchase and only wants them for their own viewing pleasure, regardless of the animals proven needs to be healthy. Happy and all other emotions are crap when it comes to fish. Healthy is what we strive for. Healthy = Happy, as far as we know.

The first case is the OP...

The second is Wrasse Wrangler...

The first is frustrating as a little research goes a long way, especially when information is so easy to get. So many fish, corals, inverts die because someone didn't google a few different resources before making purchases. Heck, I have googled while in the LFS on several occasions. The nice thing is that there are cases where these guys will do the right thing once they are made aware of the situation.

The second is sad. Willful negligence is terrible. If you want to house big/active fish, do so in tank big enough for them. If you want to house fish with special needs, make sure you can provide for them. There are too many tangs in small tanks... too many non weaned mandarins in small tanks... too many fish added to uncycled tanks... too many fish getting ich and corals w/ AEFW and redbugs because the owner wasn't concerned with quarantining. The list goes on and on.

heavymetalmullet

I have had mine for over 2 years. Started out as a female and now its a male. Really cool thing to watch them change sex!

That's a pretty impressive looking fish! Not seen any around in my LFS I don't recall but i'll keep a look out. Would like to get a flame angel at some point but not till later on this year.

wrasseWrangler
The first case is the OP...

The second is Wrasse Wrangler...

The first is frustrating as a little research goes a long way, especially when information is so easy to get. So many fish, corals, inverts die because someone didn't google a few different resources before making purchases. Heck, I have googled while in the LFS on several occasions. The nice thing is that there are cases where these guys will do the right thing once they are made aware of the situation.

The second is sad. Willful negligence is terrible. If you want to house big/active fish, do so in tank big enough for them. If you want to house fish with special needs, make sure you can provide for them. There are too many tangs in small tanks... too many non weaned mandarins in small tanks... too many fish added to uncycled tanks... too many fish getting ich and corals w/ AEFW and redbugs because the owner wasn't concerned with quarantining. The list goes on and on.

Wow I must be one lucky guy than...

Only had one fish die in the four years in this hobby... and it was because it jumped out of my tank...

They grow somewhat slowly, so they are ok in a 75 gallons for a year and half to 2 years before they get to 5" or 6"

Since not all humans will reach 6', not all the blue tang will reach 12".

Each fish is different so one might outgrow its tank in a year, another might take 2 years. I know someone who had a blue tang in a 240 gallons and it took 2 years for the tank to get to 5"

In a 47 gallons I would think that it would be a year at most before the blue tang outgrow the tank.

They are growing more or less 2" per year.

and how long is very long? 3 years, 4 years?
wrasseWrangler
That's a pretty impressive looking fish! Not seen any around in my LFS I don't recall but i'll keep a look out. Would like to get a flame angel at some point but not till later on this year.

They are really cool! just make sure you have a deep sand bed and no mean fish to mess with it. I liked the colors better as a female, but it was cool to watch it change sex.

God you are such a jackass. The OP is clearly new to this hobby and you are recommending him/her to get a fish that is for expert marine aquarists. Stop trying to sabotage a newcomer.

OP you should know that a leopard wrasse is usually hard to feed at first, and is very capable of dying of starvation, and is also extremely vulnerable during the acclimation process. They are also generally supposed to be in aquariums 50 gallons OR LARGER, NOT SMALLER.

Just saying...

wrasseWrangler
God you are such a jackass. The OP is clearly new to this hobby and you are recommending him/her to get a fish that is for expert marine aquarists. Stop trying to sabotage a newcomer.

so you are saying I am an expert? Thanks that is so nice of you... ;)

Wow I must be one lucky guy than...

Only had one fish die in the four years in this hobby... and it was because it jumped out of my tank...

So because something doesn't die... it's healthy? I've read stories of people growing up trapped in basements or closets that didn't die in 4 years let alone 15-20... I'm sure that makes it ok right? because they didn't die and all

so you are saying I am an expert? Thanks that is so nice of you... ;)

It's possible that you got lucky and didn't kill the fish, and it's also possible that you may have experience that the OP does not. However, no, i would not call you an expert since the way you talk and give out garbage information leads me to believe that you are, like i said before, A JACKASS.

wrasseWrangler

Its been fun ya'll, but gotta hit the freeway.. gotta love that LA traffic!

Good luck heavymetalmullet,

If you ever need help with anything and want to avoid all the "A" holes just hit me up with a PM.

See ya! :D

Actualy not for a hippo tang. They do not swim very far from their spot in the ocean and rather stay in one place. Mine does not swim much and prefer to stay near his territory.

Here is an article from Coral Magazin about tang tank size and here is a quote from that article:

"Paracanthurus hepatus is actually very site-specific and not range as widely over the reef as do other tang species."

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/ar...-refuse-confess

Jeez come on boys

Lets just chill out a bit.

The reasons Tangs are not reccomended for small tanks is not exlusively because of their size, but also because of their activity within the tank. From what I gather they are more territorial and energetic than other fish and can dart around the tank and be spooked more easily than other fish.

Actualy not for a hippo tang. They do not swim very far from their spot in the ocean and rather stay in one place. Mine does not swim much and prefer to stay near his territory.

Here is an article from Coral Magazin about tang tank size and here is a quote from that article:

"Paracanthurus hepatus is actually very site-specific and not range as widely over the reef as do other tang species."

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/ar...-refuse-confess

The actual piece from the article is

Juvenile Acanthurus and Paracanthurus are quite site-specific and do not roam widely across the reef.

The caption you quoted is a misquote. And with that, the author of the piece is a dissenting opinion and recommends 150 gallons as a minimum as opposed to 240 gallons as a minimum. 150 gallons is 3x bigger than either of their tanks.

heavymetalmullet

Think i'm going to have to set the quarantine/hospital tank up today to treat the fish with cuprazin. Only thing is I don't have a sponge filter just yet to place in there for filtration. What should I do, just keep testing and doing water changes on the QT? If I put some live rock in there the cuprazin is just gonna kill it. I have a small Elite Stingray filter that I bought ages ago for a tropical tank and never used. Would this work?

Archived