Coral Vue Hydros

Think my Blue tang has ich! PLease Help!

heavymetalmullet

Hey man,

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. How's the final clown doing?

I just wanted to post because it's nice to see other English members on here (Roz, from the Channel Islands right? Plus, I think I've seen someone from Birmingham on here too).

Anyways, I've seen the wrasse you were asking about up here in Manchester, but they call it a Peacock wrasse, or splendid leopard wrasse, and the female looks quite different, but is still nice looking. I had one that I eventually weaned onto flake (although at first she only ate frozen brine). Unfortunately, she jumped, but had her for about 6 months, happy as Larry. My LFS told me they are relatively small (and can be kept as per a six line) but I have seen conflicting reports on the internet. I have also heard of them being kept as a group, which, I believe, is unique among wrasses (correct me if I'm wrong?) with one of the females changing into a male later on.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/492857151_a54010a267.jpg

Oh, and for what it's worth, don't take anything personally, people are just trying to help, but, as you say, people don't word their advice very well sometimes, and it can come across as inflammatory. It's the nature of the internet, it's anonymous, so everyone seems to be a wee bit more bold than they would be in real life.

All the best, let us know what happens.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is what I meant by managed correctly MedRed, next time I will go into more detail for you.

I'd love to see how many people use sponges. That's a huge no no for saltwater.

heavymetalmullet
I'd love to see how many people use sponges. That's a huge no no for saltwater.

Really?? I've read loads of places recommending this method of keeping some bacteria on standby for QT?

Also, I know it's slightly off topic, I received some Salifert Phosphate Killer today through the post and I thought while i'm waiting to get anymore fish I would make the tank as nice as possible by getting rid of a few bits of nuisance algae. On the instructions it says 'best used with a canister' however I use an all natural method of filteration, could I still use this product and just mix it in with my water change?

heavymetalmullet
Hey man,

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. How's the final clown doing?

I just wanted to post because it's nice to see other English members on here (Roz, from the Channel Islands right? Plus, I think I've seen someone from Birmingham on here too).

Anyways, I've seen the wrasse you were asking about up here in Manchester, but they call it a Peacock wrasse, or splendid leopard wrasse, and the female looks quite different, but is still nice looking. I had one that I eventually weaned onto flake (although at first she only ate frozen brine). Unfortunately, she jumped, but had her for about 6 months, happy as Larry. My LFS told me they are relatively small (and can be kept as per a six line) but I have seen conflicting reports on the internet. I have also heard of them being kept as a group, which, I believe, is unique among wrasses (correct me if I'm wrong?) with one of the females changing into a male later on.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/492857151_a54010a267.jpg

Oh, and for what it's worth, don't take anything personally, people are just trying to help, but, as you say, people don't word their advice very well sometimes, and it can come across as inflammatory. It's the nature of the internet, it's anonymous, so everyone seems to be a wee bit more bold than they would be in real life.

All the best, let us know what happens.

Hey there! Yeah I haven't notived to many Brits on here either which is strange. The final clown unfortunately died too, it was a harsh lesson in fish keeping. I'm leaving the tank fallow for a while until I can be sure the ich has run it's course and in the meantime i'm going to do some resculpting of the rock, have a general tidy up and get a few more bits of equipment I think.

Anyway, good to hear from you!

I've said it before, but I truly believe that this entire argument is a fallacy. Reason and fact need to be used rather than taking the position of emotion driven critic.

I keep a tang, and if it dies, then the blood of that fish is on my hands. But I challenge any 'tang cop' to tell me that they are vegan, walk everywhere, and live in a tepee skinned with the hides of animals that died of natural causes.

If a 'tang cop' really wants to save the fish, then I suggest they stop being a critic and start by contacting your local political official to make it illegal in your state for someone to import, own, sell, etc the fish you are so concerned with.

In the meantime, read this and start thinking rationally.

Ted Kennedy's car killed more tangs than my tank.

I've said it before, but I truly believe that this entire argument is a fallacy. Reason and fact need to be used rather than taking the position of emotion driven critic.

I keep a tang, and if it dies, then the blood of that fish is on my hands. But I challenge any 'tang cop' to tell me that they are vegan, walk everywhere, and live in a tepee skinned with the hides of animals that died of natural causes.

If a 'tang cop' really wants to save the fish, then I suggest they stop being a critic and start by contacting your local political official to make it illegal in your state for someone to import, own, sell, etc the fish you are so concerned with.

In the meantime, read this and start thinking rationally.

Ted Kennedy's car killed more tangs than my tank.

The fish died... And no one cares about your TP counter-argument. It's nothing we all haven't heard a thousand times before. k?

The fish died... And no one cares about your TP counter-argument. It's nothing we all haven't heard a thousand times before. k?

Thank you for proving my point; your entire argument is nothing more than the tang is the strawman reason to be a 4chan /b/ poster in a different setting. Carry on.

Thank you for proving my point; your entire argument is nothing more than the tang is the strawman reason to be a 4chan /b/ poster in a different setting. Carry on.

....What?

Strange how the super flaming only happens for tangs. There are far worse examples of bad fish choice on this site than a blue tang in a four foot long tank. How about a fish that will grow to over a foot under the right conditions in a year and holds a territory the size of a football field...in a 24g AIO? Not a tang, no flaming.

@ Brew boy.

Good to see another Manc.

@ heavymetalmullet.

That stinks.

heavymetalmullet
Strange how the super flaming only happens for tangs. There are far worse examples of bad fish choice on this site than a blue tang in a four foot long tank. How about a fish that will grow to over a foot under the right conditions in a year and holds a territory the size of a football field...in a 24g AIO? Not a tang, no flaming.

@ Brew boy.

@ heavymetalmullet.

That stinks.

Hi Nibor, do you have any experience of using Salifert Phosphate Killer or any similar product at all?.

It's just GFO (granular ferric oxide) I think.

Link.

You are correct.

I have good success using Rowa-Phos. I have used it in the filter bag as well as in a reactor.

heavymetalmullet
You are correct.

I have good success using Rowa-Phos. I have used it in the filter bag as well as in a reactor.

As I use all natural filtration could I just mix it into the water in my next water change?

heavymetalmullet
You need to run it in a filter or reactor. Not too much flow, you don't want the particles to grind away at each other.

Damn, I only have a skimmer. Do you think I should send it back? Would just adding it to the water be harmful, or just pointless as it would all be used at once??

cuprazin? the only safe (relatively speaking) copper treatment is Cupramine from Seachem. You probably killed your fish with that copper. Copper is very toxic to fish and you should have go with hyposalinity, this is much easier on the fish.

Copper is ineffective if under dosed and lethal if overdosed. Testing copper concentration must be done twice a day when treating with copper, except with Cupramine which is quite safe.

There is really no need to treat with such a drastic medication for ich as it is very easy to treat with hyposalinity and that does not harm the fish one bit.

When treating with hyposalinity the biofilter is not killed so putting a few pieces of cured liverock in the tank will control ammonia. I had zero ammonia when doing the 5 weeks hypo treatment on my hippo tang. Worked like a charm.

cuprazin but at least it gives the filter a chance to get some bacteria going. I've placed some small cleaned Does this all sound right so far??
heavymetalmullet
cuprazin? the only safe (relatively speaking) copper treatment is Cupramine from Seachem. You probably killed your fish with that copper. Copper is very toxic to fish and you should have go with hyposalinity, this is much easier on the fish.

Copper is ineffective if under dosed and lethal if overdosed. Testing copper concentration must be done twice a day when treating with copper, except with Cupramine which is quite safe.

There is really no need to treat with such a drastic medication for ich as it is very easy to treat with hyposalinity and that does not harm the fish one bit.

When treating with hyposalinity the biofilter is not killed so putting a few pieces of cured liverock in the tank will control ammonia. I had zero ammonia when doing the 5 weeks hypo treatment on my hippo tang. Worked like a charm.

Yeah man I realised too late that I probably should have taken the Hyposalinity option. :(

yeah, it's too bad people were filling the thread with off-topic selective morality critiques, otherwise you could have been provided the information you needed before the fish died.

yeah, it's too bad people were filling the thread with off-topic selective morality critiques, otherwise you could have been provided the information you needed before the fish died.

Yeah, these tang threads never disappoint...unless you are looking for information or help...

Get off your high horse and go put another tang in your fish tank. Don't say a word about people not giving information when you didn't give any yourself.

The final clown unfortunately died too, it was a harsh lesson in fish keeping.

Sorry to hear that man.

With regards to the phosphate remover. I have only ever used Rowa Phos, but with that you can just put it in the bag/sock, and buy a cheap little internal filter, remove the sponge and put the bag in there. Worked a charm for me.

@ Brew boy.

City or United? Haha

Get off your high horse and go put another tang in your fish tank. Don't say a word about people not giving information when you didn't give any yourself.

I have no need to defend myself; as any information that is presented to you is immediately discounted and ignored. The fact is, I found this thread after the fish had died. Additionally I posted a very nice link that contains quite a bit of 'information' that is helpful; however, you said, "The fish died... And no one cares about your TP counter-argument. It's nothing we all haven't heard a thousand times before. k?"

Look, zero, you can claim whatever you want. Make fantastic absurd claims, that you know what you are talking about, I don't mind really. But that fact is, you are a hypocrite. You ride around on your dirt bikes, ask about how to kill snails, and present your argument as the high ground with nothing more than your emotion and opinion as your justification. You failed your own morality test through your lifestyle.

Your ego won't allow you to learn and become reasonable, of that I am sure. So feel free to make further claims, but remember; let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Genj... are you saying because someone isn't completely environmentally friendly, they are the same as someone who purposefully keeps animals in stressful situations? Because of this, it justifies someone adding a hippo tang to a 34 gallon tank? "Well you're not a saint, so don't judge what I do." Is that your philosophy?

Archived