Cultivated Reef

Think my Blue tang has ich! PLease Help!

heavymetalmullet

put it in a quarantine tank (if you don't have one, get one!) and lower the salinity to 1.009 over the course of a few days. Leave it at this for 4 weeks after you see the last sign of ich. Use a refractometer as to do this treatment the instrument used to mesure the salinity must be very precise.

Use a few piece of liverock in a 20 gallons aquarium and that will give you a good filtration. Hyposalinity will work well for ich, that is if it is ich.

Once you rid your system of ich, your tang won't get it each time it will be stressed, wich will be very often in such tank size. The main tank must remain empty of any fish for 8 weeks. Do not put medication in your main tank, especialy not copper.

If you treat with copper only do it in a quarantine tank and use Cupramine as it is the only safe copper base product. You cannot use a dechlorinator with cupramine as it will bind with the amine and release the copper in toxic form and kill the fish. do not combine hyposalinity and copper as copper is more toxic in lower salinity. When raising the salinity it must be done very slowly, no more than 0.003 point per day. 6 days to raise from 1.009 to 1.025.

Hyposalinity is very safe and it is efficient for ich when done properly. I did it for my blue tang and it's been in my 75 gallons for 3 months and never a sign if ich after the hypo treatment. Mine is not yet 3" so it's ok in the 75 gallons for now but next year it's going in a 150 gallons or 180 gallons. They cannot live very long in small tank, only temporary or they will get stressed out and get all sort of disease like HLLE etc..

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the best way of uploading some photos i've just taken of her? My camera takes quite large file sizes. Will I need to adjust them?

I use photobucket.com. Works great.

heavymetalmullet
Have anything closer up? Symptoms of ich are small...

Thanks!

Lol, i'll try but she's a nightmare to try and photograph. Won't sit still like a good fishy!

Doesn't help the two little clowns constantly want in on the picture, lol. :D

wrasseWrangler
They cannot live very long in small tank, only temporary or they will get stressed out and get all sort of disease like HLLE etc..

and how long is very long? 3 years, 4 years?

To be honest, he looks in pretty good shape to me... Is it possible the microscopic critters you were seeing on the glass were pods? Or perhaps hydroids? Take a look at the pictures at these two sites and see if it's familiar.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/copepodfaqs.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/jellyidfaqs.htm

A lot of us get freaked out when we see something new in our tank, but most of the time it's just us over-reacting. Remember, your tank is a micro-climate with millions of organisms on the microscopic level.

Jeez come on boys

Lets just chill out a bit.

The reasons Tangs are not reccomended for small tanks is not exlusively because of their size, but also because of their activity within the tank. From what I gather they are more territorial and energetic than other fish and can dart around the tank and be spooked more easily than other fish.

Therefore giving the Tang adequate space is essential to prevent it from injuring itself on LR, tank walls, etc. I would really lay into you if it weren't for the fact that you seem like a lovely guy who genuinely cares for his fish and doesn't show a blatent disregard for their well being.

Don't take to heart any nasty comments put to you, just keep on caring about saving your Tang. As mentioned before I think Ich is more of a microscopic parasite, so you wouldn't see 'critters' psysically 'crawling' in the tank, you would just see the effect of the parasite burrowing into the skin.

As far as treatment is concerend I have been lucky not to have any disease in my tank so I wouldn't like to advise you wrongly.

Either way hun you care about the fish so just keep in monitoring it, and if all goes well I would definately move it to a larger tank soon,

happy fishkeeping x

and how long is very long? 3 years, 4 years?

Wrasse wrangler. Your defense of having a tang in your 24 cube is asinine. I have a tank with the same dimensions and I can't imagine having a tang in it. Just because it fits and its living doesn't mean it's ok. Tangs are fast fish that cover large expanses of reefs very quickly. Stuffing one into a small tank is cruel. Advocating and defending it is irresponsible.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...;highlight=tang

heavymetalmullet
To be honest, he looks in pretty good shape to me... Is it possible the microscopic critters you were seeing on the glass were pods? Or perhaps hydroids? Take a look at the pictures at these two sites and see if it's familiar.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/copepodfaqs.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/jellyidfaqs.htm

A lot of us get freaked out when we see something new in our tank, but most of the time it's just us over-reacting. Remember, your tank is a micro-climate with millions of organisms on the microscopic level.

Think you have put my mind at rest a bit, I think you're right. I think I got freaked by the little things on the tank glass and just guessed at it being ich. She seems very healthy to be honest, feeding a LOT on everything I give her, flake and brine shrimp in garlic. Rest of the time she swims around the tank with her little clown buddies grazing on the algae and the clown fish keep trying to copy her. :D

Think you have put my mind at rest a bit, I think you're right. I think I got freaked by the little things on the tank glass and just guessed at it being ich. She seems very healthy to be honest, feeding a LOT on everything I give her, flake and brine shrimp in garlic. Rest of the time she swims around the tank with her little clown buddies grazing on the algae and the clown fish keep trying to copy her. :D

Aww

You're cute :happy:

What are the exact dimensions of your tank? If your tank truly is 47 gallons, you should take your tang back for store credit and pick up a fish more appropriate for the size of your tank.

wrasseWrangler
Wrasse wrangler. Your defense of having a tang in your 24 cube is asinine. I have a tank with the same dimensions and I can't imagine having a tang in it. Just because it fits and its living doesn't mean it's ok. Tangs are fast fish that cover large expanses of reefs very quickly. Stuffing one into a small tank is cruel. Advocating and defending it is irresponsible.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...;highlight=tang

Your tank must be boring...

What are the exact dimensions of your tank? If your tank truly is 47 gallons, you should take your tang back for store credit and pick up a fish more appropriate for the size of your tank.

Bla Bla Bla.... -_-

There is nothing I hate more in this world than chlamydia and the Tang Police!

Glad to help! Keep up the "concerned fish owner" thing and you'll do well. MOST people here are very helpful if you get in a pinch!

:lol:

Bla Bla Bla.... -_-

My new tank is brand new and it ####s all over your tank. The tang police exist for a reason... because scrubs like you do what they want without any regard to the livestock they are keeping.

Bla Bla Bla.... -_-

There's nothing i hate more in this world then ignorant jackasses such as yourself that like to cram animals into cages inappropriate for the types of animals, just for their own viewing pleasure. It must really suck having chlamydia. Wana talk about it?

wrasseWrangler

heavymetalmullet,

Really sorry for posting so much bull in your thread. I just CANT STAND the people out there that will defend a Tang to the death.

My new tank is brand new and it ####s all over your tank. The tang police exist for a reason... because scrubs like you do what they want without any regard to the livestock they are keeping.

My tank is better than your tank! My tank is better than your tank!

"Mommy they aren't playing fair"

There's nothing i hate more in this world then ignorant jackasses such as yourself that like to cram animals into cages inappropriate for the types of animals, just for their own viewing pleasure. It must really suck having chlamydia. Wana talk about it?

I would love to talk! I could really use some of your infinite wisdom! :D

heavymetalmullet,

Really sorry for posting so much bull in your thread. I just CANT STAND the people out there that will defend a Tang to the death.

My tank still ####s on your tank. Deal with it scrub... and good luck with your tang... Shame you're too pigheaded to give it a proper home.

heavymetalmullet
heavymetalmullet,

Hey no worries man, it's making quite entertaining reading to be honest! :lol:

I didn't even know the tang police existed until you mentioned them and now I just read about them on another site. Apparently these guys are all over the forums everywhere spouting their fish dogma. No one gets into salt water aquarium keeping with the idea of deliberately hurting any fish yet these guys feel the need to come down like ton of bricks on people. Sheesh!

My tank still ####s on your tank. Deal with it scrub... and good luck with your tang... Shame you're too pigheaded to give it a proper home.

I didn't ask about your tank so get lost. Picking fights for no good reason than to feed your ego. Pathetic.

There's actually two opposites. A person who does not know better because they are new to the hobby, but ultimately strives to do the right thing and returns the animal which is not right for tank size. And then there is the jackass that cares nothing about the animals they purchase and only wants them for their own viewing pleasure, regardless of the animals proven needs to be healthy. Happy and all other emotions are crap when it comes to fish. Healthy is what we strive for. Healthy = Happy, as far as we know.

I didn't even know the tang police existed until you mentioned them and now I just read about them on another site. Apparently these guys are all over the forums everywhere spouting their fish dogma. No one gets into salt water aquarium keeping with the idea of deliberately hurting any fish yet these guys feel the need to come down like ton of bricks on people. Sheesh!

I didn't ask about your tank so get lost. Picking fights for no good reason than to feed your ego. Pathetic.

The fact that you have a tang in a 47 gallon tang is what incites the tang police. It shows you didn't research at all before buying it. The question now is... do you want to do the right thing? or do you want to get defensive about others giving you good advice. Look at the posts counts of those saying it's ok to have a tang in a tank that small... and look at the post counts of those against it.

and Wrasse Wrangler himself has called for the tang police on several occasions.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3101464

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3171027

wrasseWrangler

Cool!

Yea they are a bunch of fn idiots! They think they are so godly it is rediculas!

For the record I have had my tang for over a year, with no problems. You keep your water clean and they will be fine, of course you put it in a 5 gallon and you might have problems.

Enjoy your tang, get another tang, they are great fish!

I saw your tank... Cool rockscape, but your still a FN Jacka$$

Archived