Innovative Marine Aquariums

Blue Demp's 36 Gallon Bow Front

Blue Demp

squirrelieygrrrl

hey blue!

i am so honored to have my tank be your inspiration, even more honored for you to put that in the first post. im glad to see collegenano has been helping you along.

when i was first starting out having a few mentors was so invaluable.

after reading through your thread, it looks like your totally on the right track. the only tidbits i have to share with you are maybe slowing down a bit on the additions. ime every time you add something it changes the balance of the chemistry and it takes a little time to stabilize. though these changes can some times be so minute that you wouldnt even catch on to it, it can add stress to the inhabitants.

as far as your killer pump i believe they make some small guards that you could add to remove the chances of critters getting sucked into it. or even just a rubber band and some inert plastic screening/mesh. like the mesh that those bath poofs are made of would be a good solution.

after rambling on i suddenly realized that youve been on here since 04 so i might be giving you info you already know. srry bout that if i did.

best of luck to ya bud and im certainly here to help if you need.

best regards

~squirrel

Yay! squirrelieygrrrl is here!!!! I'm fortunate to have CollegeNano and someone else from youtube to guide me to this process. I know I'm going fast, but couldn't resist... doh! These additions are my last additions for months. I've been a member since 04, but lost interest when my tank crashed. I'm back and hope to stay for awhile.

Thank you for responding, and thanks to CollegeNano for helping me out.

PS how do you keep your sunpod quiet?

Edited by Blue Demp
squirrelieygrrrl

gee thanks blue! what a welcome! :blush:

always great to have some fellow reefers to help ya along. i know how that whole stocking thing goes all too well. its easy to go overboard. just look at my tank! its so full i couldnt add another frag if i wanted to. lulz. your join date makes alot more sense now that you explain it.

im sure this time around youll be able to pull 'er off, providing you do the leg work! funny thing about reefs, they never come to fruition with out lots of blood sweat and tears. (sorry to be so cliche)

i cant hear the dang sunpod over the constant churning of that stinking prizm skimmer. so i guess the answer would be drown it out with other even more obnoxious sound! :lol:

its my pleasure Blue. hopefully ill be less absent in the future. i have a new tank plan in the works since the 16 has hit critical mass! im just glad you didnt loose hope after it took me eons to respond!

Pics coming soon. Everything is doing well with the exception of the Favia. I seem to remember it being more purple. The Mandarin is still alive, but haven't noticed him eat much. He actually jumped out of the main tank and into the main tank. I'm crossing my finger in hope he eats prepared food.

Subscribed :happy:

Your tank is looking really nice, enjoyed reading the progress. Sorry about your Mandarin, have you ever read about the ORA ones, they are tank raised and weaned onto a diet of frozen/prepared foods. Still a tough fish but ORA ones should be easier than training a wild one.

Keep up the good work :-)

Thanks guys! I've heard about the Ora ones, but hard to find them... I just got my money from uncle Same, so I thought I would splurge a little. :-) Here's what I just bought from Liveaquaria. Everything should arrive this saturday.

1. Snapping Shrimp, Red Banded- Tiny

2. Midas Blenny (Maldives)

3. ORA® Hammer Coral (Diver's Den)

4. DFS Flame Red Blastomussa (Diver's Den)

5. Cook Islands Ultra Colored Maxima Clam (Diver's Den)

6. Clove Polyps Rock (Diver's Den)

7. Alveopora Coral Bali (Diver's Den)

Here you go. As you could see, they've pretty much opened up within hours due to slow acclimation.

Just arrived!

IMG_7003.jpg

Start of acclimation

IMG_7004.jpg

Midas and Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

IMG_7005.jpg

Almost done with acclimation

IMG_7006.jpg

5 hours later!

IMG_7008.jpg

Alveopora Coral

IMG_7010.jpg

IMG_7015.jpg

Hammer

IMG_7011.jpg

Flame Blasto

IMG_7012.jpg

Maxima Clam

IMG_7013.jpg

Edited by Blue Demp

Thanks. The fish is a Midas Blenny. Yes - I do drip acclimate... I notice the longer I think, the quicker they respond once in the tank.

Woke up to a scare this morning. I found my clam on the sand bed, tried a few places to place him, but he seems to fall off. Any tips to getting him to attach to a rock?

Honestly I'd leave the clam on the sand bed.

I just skimmed this thread, and in your first post you mentioned moving the tank to the living room once you had a stand. I would have not started at tank with plans to move it because its a pain and can cause it to cycle again. I've been forced to move my tanks before and I've been close to losing fish in the process.

Another thing is, you should have perhaps waited on the clam, with them you want to have a stable tank and that is why there is the 6 mo recommendation. Because usually about after 6 months aquarists know what they are doing.

Also mandarins are lovely fish, but pretty hard to keep unless you are dedicated. I've tried three times myself, and each time, I had a success followed by failure. I lost two to pumps and two to ich and a cowfish. I will try again, but not any time soon.

Overall you have done a really good job with your tank, It's looking really nice and you have a nice stocking list. Keep up the great work, and I'm going to be tagging along.

Thanks Markushka I realized my mistake after buying the clam. I am committed in providing the ideal tank for it, along with the other corals and fish. I like Mandarins so much, that I've really given up on keeping them.

Maxima on the sand bed? I've heard otherwise. The clam actually settled down today, so this is looking good for me.

Thanks Markushka I realized my mistake after buying the clam. I am committed in providing the ideal tank for it, along with the other corals and fish. I like Mandarins so much, that I've really given up on keeping them.

Maxima on the sand bed? I've heard otherwise. The clam actually settled down today, so this is looking good for me.

If its settled leave it be, If it fell, i'd leave it on the sand. I wish you the best of luck with the clam, I want one soo much myself. I got one and then lost it because I was forced to break down my tank immediately after. I will get another one day when the opportunity arises. I just don't recommend you move your tank now.

Mandarins are a project. They are attainable in a nano, but there is a lot of work with most of them beforehand. They were the fish that pushed me over into the SW hobby actually when I first saw one. I have worked out enough to have an attack plan for when I try one (or a pair) again, most probably this summer. PM me if you'd like to discuss ideas or watch out for my thread come summer time.

CollegeNano

Good luck with your new clam Blue. I just got my second clam (2x crocea now) about a month ago and wish I had the money for more! I haven't had one die on me, although I didn't add my first clam until my tank was at 4 months. With proper maintenance I bet it will be fine. Just look for signs of "reaching" and "pinching" of the mantle.

Also, let me know the next time you trim your chaeto!

Edited by CollegeNano
squirrelieygrrrl

+1 to Markushka's advice.

clams will generally pick a spot they like best. so where ever it decides to orient its self is where it wants to be. make sure to stay on top of your params, clams are generally the first inhabitants to suffer if there is a problem. ime the small clams (>3in) are really tough to keep happy. i have yet to have success with the small ones my self.

all in all things are lookin pretty good. grats blue!

Thanks folks! It's been a week and everything is ok... I noticed an increase in ammonia and nitrate. It's probably due to the amount I feed. I did a water change today and planned on toning down the amount I feed. The Midas Blenny is officially my favorite fish.

I thought they were yellow color base?

IMG_7062.jpg