Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Blue Demp's 36 Gallon Bow Front

Blue Demp

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello and to document this setup. I used to have a 10 gallon way back in the days, but was too inexperienced and life kept me busy too keep it going. After seeing Squirrelieygrrrl's 16 Gallon bow front, I realized how much I missed having a nano. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=252493

I've been lurking for awhile and feel like I'm ready to make the plung. Feel free to provide any feedbacks.

Here's what I purchased so far. I'm waiting for everything except for the tank. (See pic)

Display: Aqueon 36 Gallon Bowfront, 30"L x 15"W x 21"H

Lighting: 250w Sunpod

Heating: 200 Visitherm Stealth

Filtration: AQUA-FUGE 2 HANG-ON REFUGIUM

Circulation: Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 600 (160 gph) + Vortech MP10

Skimmer: AquaC Remora

Sand: Caribbean Live Sand Original Grade Substrate 20 lbs

Salt: Kent Sea Salt

IMG_1804.jpg

Next steps:

1. Do more research.

2. Paint background black.

3. Find/build tank stand living room worthy.

Edited by Blue Demp
Nice tank, looking forward to see how this goes.

Feel free to jump in and let me know if I'm making any mistakes.

Which vendor would you recommend to purchase live rock from? How much for a 36 Gallon?

a) http://www.premiumaquatics.com

b http://www.liveaquaria.com

c) http://www.liverock.com

d) http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/

Edited by Blue Demp

Things are coming along. I've painted the back of the tank, ordered a RO/DI unit, and starting to build the stand. Since the tank stand is going to take ages, I'm going to start the cycle in my kitchen until the stand is ready. I ended up buying 60lbs of Live rock from premium aquatics.

Bulk Reef Supply 5stage RO/DI

IMG_8157.jpg

Tank painted.

IMG_8158.jpg

Tank is looking good so far.

My critic's:

1) I'd try to get something else for circulation. That maxijet is a good machine, but is way to wimpy for your tank, and shoots a jet of water. I'd recommend Koralia powerheads for a cheap, wide dispersed flow and some random flow. Or if you feel like splurging, grab a vortech and really push some water. Tunze's are nice for what they are as well.

2) I'd look at a different skimmer. It doesn't appear that you are going to use a sump, but I believe that next to lighting, a good protein skimmer is the best ticket for success. There are some great hang on back skimmers available now, with the eshopps being ok, and the reef octopus hang on being superb.

Cheers.

za

This will be a very nice tank, I can tell.

Thanks! I'm a noob, so if you see I'm making a mistake feel free to tell me.

Tank is looking good so far.

My critic's:

1) I'd try to get something else for circulation. That maxijet is a good machine, but is way to wimpy for your tank, and shoots a jet of water. I'd recommend Koralia powerheads for a cheap, wide dispersed flow and some random flow. Or if you feel like splurging, grab a vortech and really push some water. Tunze's are nice for what they are as well.

2) I'd look at a different skimmer. It doesn't appear that you are going to use a sump, but I believe that next to lighting, a good protein skimmer is the best ticket for success. There are some great hang on back skimmers available now, with the eshopps being ok, and the reef octopus hang on being superb.

Cheers.

za

Thanks for your input.

1. You're right - I just bought an MP10 after realizing I didn't have enough movement.

2. I ended up returning the JBJ and bought an AquaC Remore. I heard good reviews on it.

Tank is filled with water and sand. Tank is super cloudy and kind of milky at the top. Is this normal? How do I clear it up? My Fuge, MP10, and live rock won't arrive until thursday.

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8167.jpg

The following arrived:

1. CPR Aquafuge (medium)

2. AquaC Remora without outtake

3. Vortech MP10

4. Additional bag of Caribbean Live Sand Original Grade Substrate (40lbs total)

Items

IMG_8224.jpg

Setup front view

IMG_8226.jpg

Setup side view

IMG_8227.jpg

Looking good.

As far as scape as long as your happy with it. It looks good but if thats your 1st try I guarantee you will be playing with it!

Good luck

gg

Looking good.

As far as scape as long as your happy with it. It looks good but if thats your 1st try I guarantee you will be playing with it!

Good luck

gg

Thanks! LOL, yeah that is my first try. I don't think it looks natural at all, but wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Did my first water test and it reported the following:

1. PH - 8.2

2. Ammonia - 0

3. Nitrite - 0

4. Nitrate - 20

I added some cheato to the fuge and moved the heater to the fuge. My fiance was nice enough to help me rearrange the rockwork. I think it looks a lot better.

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

Saw my first signs of life! Woot... It was a small snail hitchhiker, which i don't think is a pest. I still haven't added my MH to my tank yet due to fan being very loud. I purchased a new fan that is supposed to be silent. Wish me luck!

My Sunpod fan was way too loud, so I modded it to make it quieter.

IMG_8257.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8252.jpg

IMG_8251.jpg

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

Should I cut the center brace? You'll notice the brace is causing a shadow over the middle area.

I cut the center brace on my bowfront, BUT I replaced the brace with clear plexiglas instead :)

Looks good! One piece of advice though, if you want to be able to clean the left side of your tank you will want to move the rocks away from the glass a bit. Good luck!

Hey Blue, I saw your post on my thread.

I had limited supplies as I was up at school, but I cut the center brace with a saw leaving some leftover on both ends to screw in the clear brace. Then I bought plexiglas from home depot and cut it to the right length (with a handsaw, tedious!). I had some 1/2 inch screws lying around so I drilled a small hole in the leftover brace areas and matched them up with the plexiglas brace. Screwed them in and viola!

There may be a better way to do it, actually there probably is somewhere! The screws were painted but they are still getting rusty now and I think are the cause of my recent HA outbreak. I'm going to change them today actually, I'm inspired!

Here's a pic:

IMG_1081.jpg

Advice: look for a way other than a metal object (screws) to attach the new brace!

I just bought that tank and started it yesterday..... Water is in, sand is in, and live rock will be here in a couple of days.

Looking forward to it!! I'll be posting my own thread at some point.

Hey Blue, I saw your post on my thread.

I had limited supplies as I was up at school, but I cut the center brace with a saw leaving some leftover on both ends to screw in the clear brace. Then I bought plexiglas from home depot and cut it to the right length (with a handsaw, tedious!). I had some 1/2 inch screws lying around so I drilled a small hole in the leftover brace areas and matched them up with the plexiglas brace. Screwed them in and viola!

There may be a better way to do it, actually there probably is somewhere! The screws were painted but they are still getting rusty now and I think are the cause of my recent HA outbreak. I'm going to change them today actually, I'm inspired!

Here's a pic:

IMG_1081.jpg

Advice: look for a way other than a metal object (screws) to attach the new brace!

Thanks bro! Weren't you afraid of the rocks falling or glass breaking while using the saw? I believe they make plastic screws, so that would prevent rusting. Let me know your thoughts.

I just bought that tank and started it yesterday..... Water is in, sand is in, and live rock will be here in a couple of days.

Looking forward to it!! I'll be posting my own thread at some point.

Congrats! Links to your page?