inTank Media Baskets

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

we did that to my buddies 75g and it was like night and day

Yeah it really was. I thought it would just make a slight improvement but it made a huge difference.

I'm also considering getting an apex controller and trying to decide between the jr. and the lite. I don't really have a need for the display because I'm going to use my computer and iPhone but by the time I buy all the extra hardware and accessories I feel like I might as well get the lite package...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah it really was. I thought it would just make a slight improvement but it made a huge difference.

I totally agree ts...using carbon through a reactor is much more efficient. since i switched to a BRS reactor i replace carbon biweekly instead of weekly. Im also finding i have to use less carbon as its making my water too clean.

I totally agree ts...using carbon through a reactor is much more efficient. since i switched to a BRS reactor i replace carbon biweekly instead of weekly. Im also finding i have to use less carbon as its making my water too clean.

Yeah I didn't put much carbon in at all and it looks like the reactor is basically empty :P I had planned on changing it monthly but do you think biweekly is a better idea?

How is it different? Would I still need to use chemi-pure or purigen if I got this:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...-reactor-1.html

You guys are making me really want one.

A reactor forces water to go through the media whereas water will take the path of least resistance and possibly not have as much contact with the media if it is just in a bag. If you ran that reactor you would not need chemi-pure anymore but I'm not too sure about purigen. I haven't been running purigen for a few months now though and everything is doing well.

A reactor forces water to go through the media whereas water will take the path of least resistance and possibly not have as much contact with the media if it is just in a bag. If you ran that reactor you would not need chemi-pure anymore but I'm not too sure about purigen. I haven't been running purigen for a few months now though and everything is doing well.

Thx. I should have asked: what kind of noticeable improvements came as a result of the reactor? Also, is there a reason you chose carbon vs carbon and another media such as phosban? I really need to read up on this. Sorry if I'm asking too many questns.

Thx. I should have asked: what kind of noticeable improvements came as a result of the reactor? Also, is there a reason you chose carbon vs carbon and another media such as phosban? I really need to read up on this. Sorry if I'm asking too many questns.

It's no problem, I'm happy to help!!

As far as improvements, my sand is whiter and cleaner than it has ever been. I used to have a kind of brown slime/diatoms in some spots but now my sand looks almost like it is brand new again. The carbon also helps a lot with water clarity to give you that look that the water isn't even there. It also helps to take toxins out of the water, pretty much how hype said it made his water too clean.

I don't use any other media mainly because I don't have any problems with phosphates. Every time I test for phosphates it reads zero which I attribute to the chaeto, water changes, and the fact that I only have one clown and don't have to feed very heavily.

Ok...you have sold me. I'm gonna try to get one tomorrow! Ever since I set this new tank up ice had brown film on the sand and it's pissing me off. I went with regular sand this time to get that fresh appearance and it's covered with brown. Anyway, cool man thanks. Hw did you hook it up to your pump? Does it come with an adapter?

Ok...you have sold me. I'm gonna try to get one tomorrow! Ever since I set this new tank up ice had brown film on the sand and it's pissing me off. I went with regular sand this time to get that fresh appearance and it's covered with brown. Anyway, cool man thanks. Hw did you hook it up to your pump? Does it come with an adapter?

Great! And yeah the dirty sand bed is really what drove me to get one too.

For me the pump and the reactor both used 1/2" tubing so there was no adapter needed. I already had 1/2" vinyl tubing laying around so I was good to go.

o hey where did you get that mame btw?

I got mine from another member here on N-R. Sorry I can't help! It seems like lots of people have been looking to get one recently.

I got mine from another member here on N-R. Sorry I can't help! It seems like lots of people have been looking to get one recently.

Yea it seems that way too lol

So I broke down yesterday and the spent the most money on a coral yet (Still not all that much :P ). It's a mini acro colony that should probably be called a real colony in my tank. Right now it's not all that colorful but I'm sure it will color up pretty quickly since everything in my tank has been displaying really good colors recently. It's already showing great PE and even came with a tiny acro crab! This is just one more step for the real vision I have for my tank...

Yay! Pic?

omgomgomg

Maybe I'll get some up today. It's still kinda brown and not looking the greatest but I'm still pretty excited about it :happy:

yay yay yay

I'm psyched too especially with the acro crab!

Well unfortunately my cleaner shrimp passed away today...

He had been getting a lot of brown algae on him right before he shed the past few times. And then within the last week he had been acting very strange and hanging out in areas of the tank he never had before. Then this morning before work I saw his whole body completely inside my maxi-mini and didn't see him anywhere in the tank :( I'm pretty sure this can be attributed to him being old because he was the very first livestock I bought when I started reefing. So it's looking like my tank is going to need some new livestock in the near future especially since I still have a liveaquaria giftcard.

In other news, I figured out what I thought was an acro crab is actually a teddy bear crab since it is a little furry and has blue eyes. Now I just need to find a way to get him out and put him in the sump.

Sorry to hear that ts i lost one a while back to old age..

Yeah I feel like it's the only thing that could have caused it. But I've always wanted a pair of harley's so maybe I'll look into that now.

Well unfortunately my cleaner shrimp passed away today...

He had been getting a lot of brown algae on him right before he shed the past few times. And then within the last week he had been acting very strange and hanging out in areas of the tank he never had before. Then this morning before work I saw his whole body completely inside my maxi-mini and didn't see him anywhere in the tank :( I'm pretty sure this can be attributed to him being old because he was the very first livestock I bought when I started reefing. So it's looking like my tank is going to need some new livestock in the near future especially since I still have a liveaquaria giftcard.

In other news, I figured out what I thought was an acro crab is actually a teddy bear crab since it is a little furry and has blue eyes. Now I just need to find a way to get him out and put him in the sump.

sorry about the shrimpy

I read about a DIY easy crab trap a while back on google good luck catching him I had a nightmare getting one out 4 years ago ( before I found the DIY trap)

sorry about the shrimpy

I read about a DIY easy crab trap a while back on google good luck catching him I had a nightmare getting one out 4 years ago ( before I found the DIY trap)

Yeah I feel like it's going to be impossible to catch him with just a pair of tweezers :P I'll look into the trap though and see what I can find.

Nice tank man! I love the clean look. :)

Thanks electrobes!!!

I was able to catch my pest crab at night they seem to be more active/brave then.

I'll have to give it a try then maybe. I wasn't in town this weekend so I really need to try and catch him soon.

Well I caught the little guy and banished him to the sump tonight. I used tweezers in one hand and the little dropper from my refractometer in the other and got him out in the open where I could catch him :P

I do want a good acro crab still though so I'll be on the lookout at my LFS and maybe on liveaquaria.

Archived