Cultivated Reef

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

Are their any commercially available and units? I know Nanotuners USED to make one. Anyone else?

These are the only ones i was aware of but they're ridiculously overpriced.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goddam I leave this thread for a couple hours and there's three more pages. I CANT KEEP UP!

Question: What does everyone think about retro fitting an AI SOL module inside of an older MH/T5 24" fixture. Would the two T5s be enough to supplement the spectrum that is missing from the SOL?

Goddam I leave this thread for a couple hours and there's three more pages. I CANT KEEP UP!

Question: What does everyone think about retro fitting an AI SOL module inside of an older MH/T5 24" fixture. Would the two T5s be enough to supplement the spectrum that is missing from the SOL?

Sounds like a good idea as long as you can ensure the sol gets enough ventilation. Two purple plus bulbs would be more than enough to fill in the gaps.

Sounds like a good idea as long as you can ensure the sol gets enough ventilation. Two purple plus bulbs would be more than enough to fill in the gaps.

Awesome. Coming soon! Thx for convincing me to try it. Lol

JealousFist

Kinda a thought I had though I havn't had to deal with lighting a salt tank yet, though I did just buy it(!), couldn't you add like a small "supplemental" MH bulb to get the shimmer you want and still have the t5/led glory/pop?

Awesome. Coming soon! Thx for convincing me to try it. Lol

Your welcome

Kinda a thought I had though I havn't had to deal with lighting a salt tank yet, though I did just buy it(!), couldn't you add like a small "supplemental" MH bulb to get the shimmer you want and still have the t5/led glory/pop?

Well i had a similar setup with my original giesemann fixture but it still didnt give me the coloration that i have now. Honestly not having the shimmer doesnt bother me that much as i really just love the overall color of the tank. The tank also gets natural sunlight from a nearby window so that gives me my shimmer fix when i need it.

6851869274_3fdbf45e2a_c.jpg
:WANT:

Red Planet is so nice. Possibly my favorite coral.

+1

It was my birthday yesterday so you have to send me this frag

postal code m6b 2c6

I will be waiting for it :ninja:

I just jizzed.

Ha...gross

I just got and read the "The Coral Reef Aquarium", by Tony Vargas, your tank should have been in it!!!!

Nah my tank isnt nice enough to be in there although it would have been awesome to submit some livestock photos.

+1

postal code m6b 2c6

I thought you had one of these already :o Unfortunately my piece is too tiny to frag.

TheNordCelt
+1

postal code m6b 2c6

If we're talking birthdays, mines today and I'll take anything :lol:

Nice pieces Eugene! I've got a small red planet too, i can't wait for it to start growing fast. They tend to keep the nice green base if you keep them lower in the tank.

And Tron, that's just gross lol.

I was going to ask, do you dose vodka?

Nice pieces Eugene! I've got a small red planet too, i can't wait for it to start growing fast. They tend to keep the nice green base if you keep them lower in the tank.

And Tron, that's just gross lol.

I was going to ask, do you dose vodka?

Thanks alot shawn. I noticed that when i kept it on the sandbed the base was almost entirely green. Since moving it up a bit its gotten more of its pink color. I have another small frag thats near the surface and its has a deeper red color. I stopped vodka dosing a while back

So I find out on page 70 that your name is Eugene. Okay then. I'm Kat. Nice to meow you.

You've seen the miracle re-growth/-re-birth of SPS from my LED's to the T5's (in all honestly because the LED's were not enough for SPS). I missed the LED shimmer too so I added the LED's in addition to the T5's and I run the LED's a little less right now while I acclimate. I like it. And I'm hoping it is the best of both world. So my question would be, what should I run longer? The LED's or the T5s? or not?

Second question: that red setosa, who is Dave? Is that the same species as the Jason Fox setosa which is hot pink (in my tank at least).?

Thanks.

So I find out on page 70 that your name is Eugene. Okay then. I'm Kat. Nice to meow you.

You've seen the miracle re-growth/-re-birth of SPS from my LED's to the T5's (in all honestly because the LED's were not enough for SPS). I missed the LED shimmer too so I added the LED's in addition to the T5's and I run the LED's a little less right now while I acclimate. I like it. And I'm hoping it is the best of both world. So my question would be, what should I run longer? The LED's or the T5s? or not?

Second question: that red setosa, who is Dave? Is that the same species as the Jason Fox setosa which is hot pink (in my tank at least).?

Thanks.

Hey kat :)

Well i run my LED's longer because they're just meant for supplementation. The T5's run a bit shorter because thats where all the spectrum/PAR is coming from and i dont want to over-saturate my corals with too much light. I guess a good rule of thumb is your primary light source should run shorter than your secondary light source.

I just called mines dave setosa because i got it from davefason of nanobox. Great guy and has a monster sized setosa colony. I managed to get a small frag of this from another reefer that brought a piece from dave and it grew faster than any other setosa id seen. So i dubbed it daves since it seems to be special.

Just wanted to post an update on the tanks current equipment and husbandry

Lighting

The tank is currently lit by a 24" 6 bulb ATI Dimmable T5 sunpower. Theres also XHO reefbrites for actinic supplementation. The bulb combo is a mix of Blue Plus,Coral Plus, Purple Plus and GE6500k. The lights are currently about 8" off the surface. Light cycle runs from about 7-6 with the lights ramping from 0-100%. Maximum light output is maintained from 10-4 and then ramps back down.

Water Movement

Currently i have two MP10W which sync and are controlled by a neptune apex controller. The pumps run at a maximum of 50% and currently utilize all the modes provided by ecotech. Every few hours the pumps change modes to create a very diverse flow pattern throughout the day.

Filtration

Ive used a number of different filtration methods but recently decided to go back to the basics. Most recently i was vodka dosing and then shortly after using a GFO/Carbon reactor. Long story short i was stripping my water clean and starving my corals. So i decided to go back to using a refugium. I dedicated one chamber of my sump to cheatomorpha and the other to caulerpa prolifera. Im using 16 watt flood light over each chamber and its on 24/7. This keeps my nitrates at 0 and my phosphates at about 0.06 I run a small bag of GFO to get phosphates a bit lower as to help outcompete nuisance algae in the display but i have to be careful so as to not lower it too much and risk killing the good macroalgae.

Dosing

I currently only dose Reef code B for Alkalinity from Brightwell Aquatics.Im using a drews doser(controlled by my apex) to dose around 11ml daily.The system doesnt consume enough calcium between water changes to require dosing. (Oceanic saltmix runs really high in the calcium department) I perform 5 gallon water changes weekly and add additional iodide,potassium and trace elements to enhance the saltmix.

Feeding

Im feeding 1-2 times daily. I alternate mainly between spirulina brine and mysis shrimp.. I also feed rotifers,baby brine shrimp,reefpearls and zooplankton.

Hope that answers most questions but if you have any others feel free to ask.

Just wanted to post an update on the tanks current equipment and husbandry

Lighting

The tank is currently lit by a 24" 6 bulb ATI Dimmable T5 sunpower. Theres also XHO reefbrites for actinic supplementation. The bulb combo is a mix of Blue Plus,Coral Plus, Purple Plus and GE6500k. The lights are currently about 8" off the surface. Light cycle runs from about 7-6 with the lights ramping from 0-100%. Maximum light output is maintained from 10-4 and then ramps back down.

Water Movement

Currently i have two MP10W which sync and are controlled by a neptune apex controller. The pumps run at a maximum of 50% and currently utilize all the modes provided by ecotech. Every few hours the pumps change modes to create a very diverse flow pattern throughout the day.

Filtration

Ive used a number of different filtration methods but recently decided to go back to the basics. Most recently i was vodka dosing and then shortly after using a GFO/Carbon reactor. Long story short i was stripping my water clean and starving my corals. So i decided to go back to using a refugium. I dedicated one chamber of my sump to cheatomorpha and the other to caulerpa prolifera. Im using 16 watt flood light over each chamber and its on 24/7. This keeps my nitrates at 0 and my phosphates at about 0.06 I run a small bag of GFO to get phosphates a bit lower as to help outcompete nuisance algae in the display but i have to be careful so as to not lower it too much and risk killing the good macroalgae.

Dosing

I currently only dose Reef code B for Alkalinity from Brightwell Aquatics.Im using a drews doser(controlled by my apex) to dose around 11ml daily.The system doesnt consume enough calcium between water changes to require dosing. (Oceanic saltmix runs really high in the calcium department) I perform 5 gallon water changes weekly and add additional iodide,potassium and trace elements to enhance the saltmix.

Feeding

Im feeding 1-2 times daily. I alternate mainly between spirulina brine and mysis shrimp.. I also feed rotifers,baby brine shrimp,reefpearls and zooplankton.

Hope that answers most questions but if you have any others feel free to ask.

Great stuff Hype. No wonder your aquarium looks incredible. Refugium FTW! I keep my fuge light on 24/7 as well with chaeto and caulerpa growing simultaneously in there. I can't detect any nitrates or phosphates with my API kits, but there may be a small amount of phosphates.. my corals don't seem to be affected by it at all though since they have begun to really grow in now.

Thanks for the write-up!

Great stuff Hype. No wonder your aquarium looks incredible. Refugium FTW! I keep my fuge light on 24/7 as well with chaeto and caulerpa growing simultaneously in there. I can't detect any nitrates or phosphates with my API kits, but there may be a small amount of phosphates.. my corals don't seem to be affected by it at all though since they have begun to really grow in now.

Thanks for the write-up!

Thanks man. I dont know why I didnt just stick with a refugium from the start as i did on my previous tanks...I would like to get the phosphates down a bit more. Im thinking about taking my skimmer offline and dedicating the chamber to more cheatomorpha...havent made a final decision yet.

No problem

Since I can only send one PM every 5 minutes I wanted to post a friendly reminder that Voting has started for POTM and I would really appreciate it if you would Vote for Poe, just click the link in my sig.

Thanks! :happy:

These are the only ones i was aware of but they're ridiculously overpriced.

That guy's crack dealer is making a fortune. :blink: Do you have a pic of your light configuration over the tank?

teamschreiba

Your SPS are all looking great hype! I think I had the same problem with stripping all the nutrients from the tank. I'm going much longer between carbon changes now and I'm feeding reef pearls and freeze dried cyclops every other day and my corals are looking and growing better than ever. Seems as if there is such a thing as too much filtration :P

I really like your rock work. I think for my tank I'm going for an open feel as you did.

The tank looks great, the bulb combination is very nice.

Not exactly sure if its anywhere in this thread but did you ever end up taking out the yellow tang and seahorse? I thought they looked great in there

Archived