SaltCritters.com

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

I had 50/50 luck with my SPS. They were the first SPS in the tank so I'll accept some responsibility but the ones that are doing well are all healthy, coloring up, and have good PE.

I had 50/50 luck with SPS as well. I wouldn't do SPS again.

I've had the best luck with SPS from him. About 80% of the zoas i got melted away within first week.

Interesting as that seems to be the general consensus...you have roughly a 50% chance of being totally satisfied with your order.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair though I am at the other side of the US from him. For some reasons the SPS seem to ship better while the Zoos most wouldn't open and melted away. Last order I got from him arrived fairly cold, in the 60s.

To be fair though I am at the other side of the US from him. For some reasons the SPS seem to ship better while the Zoos most wouldn't open and melted away. Last order I got from him arrived fairly cold, in the 60s.

Well i live only a few states away and i still lost some zoos. I think at that time the coral werent getting enough healing time between fragging.

6852945492_88364c5783_c.jpg

Still don't know how to get my zoas to grow together like a mound like that. They're all on frag plugs, do I just keep gluing the frag plugs on a piece of rock? Wouldn't they crowd out each other as they grow?

If a particular zoa colony died how do you fill the bald spot?

Any idea what the zoas in the middle are called? The purple ones with the star speckle patten and green skirts? I have some and haven't been able to find them anywhere. Thanks!

I'm certainly no expert, but those look like palys to me.

Still don't know how to get my zoas to grow together like a mound like that. They're all on frag plugs, do I just keep gluing the frag plugs on a piece of rock? Wouldn't they crowd out each other as they grow?

If a particular zoa colony died how do you fill the bald spot?

Well if you want just remove the frags from the plugs and glue them to different spots on a piece of live rock.They will eventually begin to fight for space and the fastest growers are ones who usually win the battle.But in the meantime its cool to watch them grow together.

Let nature do its thing.. eventually another zoa colony would capitalize on the available space

I'm certainly no expert, but those look like palys to me.

Im pretty sure theyre zoas.. at least thats what they were sold to me as.

I picked up a pair of picassos a few weeks ago(Got a really good deal on them from a local reefer leaving the hobby) Oddly enough they chose to host the front left corner of the tank. So far they're eating pellets,brine and mysis. Its cool to watch they're interaction as this is the first clownfish pair ive ever owned. Whats also strange is two sets of my blue eyed cardinals have paired off as well....must be the season.

6889709968_5236117020_z.jpg

amazing clowns hype! pretty cool they have chosen to hang out in the front of the tank too

Thanks jera! Ive always wanted a picasso pair with their coloration. First i was a bit disappointed they chose to host glass but its cool i get to see them all the time.

They are gorgeous!!!! I bet eventually they'll make their way over to your toadstool!!!!! They seem to not be able to resist the toadstool :lol:

altolamprologus

Very nice clowns, hype :) And congrats on the cardinals pairing off. Are they showing any agression toward each other?

Well i live only a few states away and i still lost some zoos. I think at that time the coral werent getting enough healing time between fragging.

Yeah I still don't understand why they don't let their frags heal longer even after constantly getting grilled for it.

Gorgeous clowns man grats :)

That zoa pictures is amazing! I'll be interested to see if you ditch your skimmer. I have never actually run one and have relied on water changes and keeping a low bioload, but after that hair algae outbreak I am debating starting a fuge so I can put some macros in it and keep nutrients down a bit. I don't have tons of space and since it is in the living room my wife likes it to totally silent and I'd have to make some sort of overflow that would be darn near silent.

They are gorgeous!!!! I bet eventually they'll make their way over to your toadstool!!!!! They seem to not be able to resist the toadstool laugh.gif

Thanks alot gena im hoping they eventually host it the toadstool but they have yet to make it to that side of the tank.

Very nice clowns, hype smile.gif And congrats on the cardinals pairing off. Are they showing any agression toward each other?

Thanks alot alto. Well the pairs havent shown any aggression towards each other just the lone male that was left after everyone paired off. Each pair has claimed a section of the tank and always chase off the lone male if he gets too close.Although during feeding time or when scared they all shoal together like normal.

Awesome new additions!

Thanks paigee!

Yeah I still don't understand why they don't let their frags heal longer even after constantly getting grilled for it.

Gorgeous clowns man grats smile.gif

Thanks man...I don't get it either, that's why i haven't ordered from them in years..

That zoa pictures is amazing! I'll be interested to see if you ditch your skimmer. I have never actually run one and have relied on water changes and keeping a low bioload, but after that hair algae outbreak I am debating starting a fuge so I can put some macros in it and keep nutrients down a bit. I don't have tons of space and since it is in the living room my wife likes it to totally silent and I'd have to make some sort of overflow that would be darn near silent.

Thanks beau. Im still tossing the idea around as my skimmate has decreased dramatically since adding the macroalgae. The only reason why im hesitant to take it offline is the amount of oxygen that is added to the water when running. Maintaining adequate Oxygen levels is an often overlooked parameter in nano reefing. While macroalgae definitely adds oxygen to the water they arent quite able to keep it saturated the way a skimmer does. And considering i have a relatively high bioload maintaining high oxygen levels is important. I think im going to do some more research and a bit of testing before i make a final decision

altolamprologus
Thanks beau. Im still tossing the idea around as my skimmate has decreased dramatically since adding the macroalgae. The only reason why im hesitant to take it offline is the amount of oxygen that is added to the water when running. Maintaining adequate Oxygen levels is an often overlooked parameter in nano reefing. While macroalgae definitely adds oxygen to the water they arent quite able to keep it saturated the way a skimmer does. And considering i have a relatively high bioload maintaining high oxygen levels is important. I think im going to do some more research and a bit of testing before i make a final decision

But you also have a very shallow tank with a large surface area so there should be plenty of gas exchange at the surface. I guess the only way to know for sure is to actually take the skimmer out and see what happens.

But you also have a very shallow tank with a large surface area so there should be plenty of gas exchange at the surface. I guess the only way to know for sure is to actually take the skimmer out and see what happens.

True but its a large bioload in a relatively small volume of water; So overall oxygen consumption is probably considerable. However I just remembered that my seneye reef monitor can measure dissolved oxygen potential so ill just do a little experiment biggrin.gif Ill measure the dissolved oxygen over a week with the skimmer/macroalgae in place and then take the skimmer offline and see what the difference is after a week if any. If the numbers are similar then the skimmer is going offline.

God i love reefing..

Hype you are an inspiration to all. The scape looks great btw.

Will folllllow!

Wow thanks for the complement and appreciate you checking out the thread.

What's the current stock list?

Blue eyed cardinals,picasso clownfish,Seahorse,yasha goby and Yellow melanarus wrasse.

True but its a large bioload in a relatively small volume of water; So overall oxygen consumption is probably considerable. However I just remembered that my seneye reef monitor can measure dissolved oxygen potential so ill just do a little experiment biggrin.gif Ill measure the dissolved oxygen over a week with the skimmer/macroalgae in place and then take the skimmer offline and see what the difference is after a week if any. If the numbers are similar then the skimmer is going offline.

God i love reefing..

I'd be really interested in the results of that experiment! :) I've never really thought about the amount of oxygen in the tank before... Hmm. I only every considered that for FW planted, but it makes sense!

id give anything to have that clown pair.

Thanks man it took me forever to find a pair that were mature enough and didnt cost an arm. Im hoping they stay healthy...

I'd be really interested in the results of that experiment! :) I've never really thought about the amount of oxygen in the tank before... Hmm. I only every considered that for FW planted, but it makes sense!

Ill be sure to post my findings. I havent used my seneye in a while but fortunately it still has some readings from the last time i used it. The average dissolved oxygen was 8.6ppm which is good since a healthy reef should be between 6-8. Ill take my skimmer offline this weekend and test the results in a week.

God i love reefing..

Oxygen aside, do you feed heavy? In which case do you rely on your skimmer to clean up after you, and does your skimmate resemble spinach poo, the stuff of my dreams, :rolleyes: ?

I didn't skim in my bio cube but the thought of removing it from my RSM leaves me a bit insecure for some reason. Not that I have spinach poo to be proud of. :rolleyes

Archived