SaltCritters.com

The 45 Gallon Decision - SPS city

phi delt reefer

phi delt reefer

yeah the only downside to Noctua's is the poopy color. Seems to be the only con on all the review sites...and their price.

the whining of the vortech isnt too bad. its definitely loud and you can hear it but its not a noise that drowns out everything in the room like the fan noise. I actually need to pick up a second one but it will have to wait.

job situation is more a blessing than a downfall. I had a job that paid the bills so i was sticking with it but it was burning me out on the inside. Now i am going to look at doing something that hopefully makes me happy/more money, lol. Thanks for the vote of confidence though ;) I dont mind having a tank full of frags though - its such a small tank that once things do take off i know i am going to lose my mind trimming everything weekly.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy do I know where youre coming from. I took a summer job back in 99 while on break from college as an electrical apprentice. The pay led me to not go back to school. It has become a carreer and ive made great money for a long time but in 08 I herniated a disk in my back but continued to work for a year after with bwc doctors providing me with terrible care and my company not providing me with modified enough work due to the economy. I had to leave work in 10 and have been off since. Ive had one failed surgery and about to have a full fusion here soon.

Long story short, I gotta start all over again carreer wise. I wont be able to return to this type of work even though I have been a supervisor for the past 5 years. Jobsites are just too physically demanding to risk my future health. I am 31 years old and feel like im 17 again with no idea what I want to do when I grow up but one things for sure, whatever it is that I decide, itll be something that makes me happy instead of a mean, sarcastic stressed out tired lump of myself! Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Any ideas as of now?

phi delt reefer
A mean, sarcastic stressed out tired lump of myself!

^THIS is me... I dont do physical work but the database work i do has turned me into this person. I get paid half the industry average and i have had to learn everything on my own by reading and messing with systems on my spare time. Go figure its a billion dollar American bank that I work for ;)

I would be happy doing the same job for real money quite honestly. I am pretty bitter about my salary and how my "world class" employer exploits me and my team. It defiantly shows in my day to day life. If i cant find work in this field then i am going back to finish my final year of school and become an accountant. Do that for a few years, then maybe buy a business and do my own thing. Not really loving the idea of going back to school but in this economy choices are limited.

Have you thought about going to school as an Operations Engineer/Controller. Its a 4 year diploma program in Canada and you pretty much run the back end operations of places like oil refineries and similar production environments. I know a couple guys in it and one did the entire program from home.

VERY nice additions! I truly believe with the top shelf scape and some equally impressive corals that this tank is gonna be one hell of a masterpiece going forward! Cant wait! Youre in Canada so I assume you can go to a chiropractor and get some of the HGH all our atheletes are using, cant you? Lets go! You could always claim you had broncitis or something to dodge prosecution...lol

Here are the frags i got;

P1010142.jpg

Do I spy a Purple Monster? VERY nice if so! I had good luck producing the rich purple color with slightly less than the highest light my tank could produce, offset a bit from the MH.

phi delt reefer

its not the same but close... purple valendia i think is what the dude called it...he had a purple monster... the frag is still coloring up.

phi delt reefer
VERY nice additions! I truly believe with the top shelf scape and some equally impressive corals that this tank is gonna be one hell of a masterpiece going forward! Cant wait! Youre in Canada so I assume you can go to a chiropractor and get some of the HGH all our atheletes are using, cant you? Lets go! You could always claim you had broncitis or something to dodge prosecution...lol

lol i dunno man, i will ask to see what my doc says :D

I got a bunch more frags coming... i did a split with another guy, hes got 6-7 more frags that hes growing out and we are going to trade in a couple months. Gotta save money in this hobby where I can. Blew way more cash this weekend than i wanted to.

New sump going in - though its only going to be 12 wide vs. 15. Not worth tearing down a tank to rebuild it for 4 extra gallons

supersump-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
phi delt reefer

Favia

P1010193.jpg

Acro from Sealife - crazy polyp extension

P1010194.jpg

Digi from Sealife - looks like green polyps with brown base but its more rainbow polyps with brown base in real life. Very subtle but nice piece

P1010195.jpg

frag city...

P1010196.jpg

Sealife special ice blue acro - everyone wanted this piece but Gary gave it to me cause I am the bomb diggity

P1010197.jpg

coco worm from IA

P1010198.jpg

Meteor Shower from Lee

P1010199.jpg

MRT Banana Tabler and IA Pink Fusion Milli - the milli was a deep pink/almost purple but browned out in my tank and is now finally getting color.

P1010200.jpg

right side of my tank

P1010201.jpg

blue acro from IA - green polyps on the base - very nice grower

P1010203.jpg

war coral from IA

P1010209.jpg

superman chalice from IA - this went green in my tank from light shock. its pretty much fully shaded and is just starting to turn blue again. Took almost 3 months to recover but will look awesome. Bill has a giant piece in his display tank.

P1010210.jpg

green with envy SPS from Sealife - this thing glows in the dark. I swear.

P1010214.jpg

short side view of the tank

P1010211.jpg

left side view of the tank

P1010219.jpg

elusive royal gramma

P1010217.jpg

colors on this pic suck - got some blastos, weird green brain, tri-color acro, lavender plating/stick acro - all from Bill at IA

P1010216.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
phi delt reefer

some updated pics...

Got me a new MP10!

P1010486.jpg

P1010487.jpg

elegance :D

P1010484.jpg

P1010485.jpg

new zoas

P1010345.jpg

P1010349.jpg

trach-a-whatever-you-call-it

P1010355.jpg

my fish

P1010355.jpg

P1010493.jpg

P1010491-2.jpg

P1010495.jpg

P1010496.jpg

P1010483.jpg

P1010488.jpg

Everything is really growing in nicely and because of reading your thread I ended up buying rock for my next tank from Eco-Reefer!

phi delt reefer

thanks jaypagi - if you get the chance go to Torsten's place and pick out your rock - he's got like 20,000lbs you can pick from!

rehype thanks for the props - its good to get bumped from someone with a tank as impressive as yours. I do have a red bug issue with my acros that i will be dealing with shortly. I also will be rescaping the tank to give the zoas a break from all the flow. They are barely opening up and i would like to hide the mp10s in the cabinet so that viewing pane is un-restricted.

also - do you find when you post pics on nano-reef they come out bluer than on other sites? Might just be my eyes but they always look duller on here.

rehype thanks for the props

do you find when you post pics on nano-reef they come out bluer than on other sites? Might just be my eyes but they always look duller on here.

No problem its well deserved. I havent noticed that in particular but it could have something to do with the site thats hosting your pictures. I had an issue once where all of my images appeared "softer" when i linked them from a particular site...

phi delt reefer

dueling mp10's are nice - they will be moved to the oppsite side of the tank so you can see through that panel better. I had to dial them back to 70% on reef crest cause my non-sps corals weren't digging the raging flow.

• 4 weeks later...

How long did it take for your rock to cycle? Also how long did you wait before adding livestock? I know this rock can take a while to build up a significant bio-load. Sorry to Hi-Jack!

phi delt reefer

i let it cycle for a month. you can use something likte dr.tims one and only nitryfing bacteria to help speed things along.

give the rock a good scrub to get the crap off of it. Upping the temp to 85 degrees helps teh cycle along. I used some shrimp and a couple pieces of live rock to push it along.

Archived