The 45 Gallon Decision - SPS city

phi delt reefer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
phi delt reefer
Keep it up! Looks great!

How do you like that SWC skimmer?

haha! Maeda's back! Missed you there for awhile man - when you going to update your tank thread!

Its good - had a skimmer pro show me how to dial it in to get it to pull some thick skimate out.... problem is my bio load just isnt big enough. Only feeding pellets twice a day and mysis a couple times a week. Hopefully once the SPS is in the tank and i get my biopellets running i can feed more and get the fish can start crapping everywhere, lol. I did have it running wetter a while back and pulling out a cup's worth of stuff once a week but it was watery. Only thing that i am little annoyed with is the skimmer is raising my tank temps up to 80 - damn atman pump can run hot.

haha! Maeda's back! Missed you there for awhile man - when you going to update your tank thread!

Its good - had a skimmer pro show me how to dial it in to get it to pull some thick skimate out.... problem is my bio load just isnt big enough. Only feeding pellets twice a day and mysis a couple times a week. Hopefully once the SPS is in the tank and i get my biopellets running i can feed more and get the fish can start crapping everywhere, lol. I did have it running wetter a while back and pulling out a cup's worth of stuff once a week but it was watery. Only thing that i am little annoyed with is the skimmer is raising my tank temps up to 80 - damn atman pump can run hot.

Hm interesting about the pump running warm. Think it'll work better on say... 120ish gallons? :D I think you know where i'm going with this.

phi delt reefer

LOL - get your own damn skimmer Maeda! I hear there are some cheap $100 ebay skimmers that are knock offs of the bubble magus/swc line. Supposedly they run pretty good. http://reefcentral.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=2032645

Honestly the heat wasnt an issue with the original pump but that one had some startup issues after a couple brownouts we had recently. I'm gonna get me some Noctua fans and point them in the sump to bring down the temps. I dont think my heater will ever turn on again!

I have been thinking about moding my eheim 1250 return to drive the skimmer and get an ATB Flowstar 1500 as my return pump for i will need to drive two vertex uf-15 reactors and a single stage BRS reactor in the near future so running it all off one effecient pump makes sense to me.. Only problem i need to find a volute and needle wheel for the damn pump cause eheim doesnt make one. I

wish i had a money tree....

I'm gonna get me some Noctua fans and point them in the sump to bring down the temps. I dont think my heater will ever turn on again!

I can save you some money here. Go grab some Yate Loons. Much cheaper, similar performance and just as quiet.

phi delt reefer
I can save you some money here. Go grab some Yate Loons. Much cheaper, similar performance and just as quiet.

hmmm looks like the low DB ones are rated for heat sinks only? Gonna see if they have a better "open air" model.

phi delt reefer

hmmm might just pick one up to test if i can get em locally.

maeda you will appreciate this bro -

fanmockupdual.jpg

fanmockupdualunderside.jpg

dual fan adapter housing for my ATI Sunpower. Gonna junk the loud ####ty 60mm fans they come with and bump up to some 92mm Noctua units. Fans are thicker as well so i had to come up with this design with a friend to keep the unit looking sleek (though its hidden in my hood)

Woogalie - great avatar bro.. Freakin hate Coors but i will drink anything is she's serving.

How are you going to build that thing? Vac form? CNC?

Be sure to have enough room to use the vibration dampening fasteners for the fans.

phi delt reefer

6061 Aluminum. CNC'ed. Guy on my local forum is helping me out.

gonna use those rubber plugs the noctua comes with to connect the fan to the adapter. Then i will screw the adaptor to the the aluminum shell on the ATI unit. Should only stick up about 3/4" at most.

6061 Aluminum. CNC'ed. Guy on my local forum is helping me out.

gonna use those rubber plugs the noctua comes with to connect the fan to the adapter. Then i will screw the adaptor to the the aluminum shell on the ATI unit. Should only stick up about 3/4" at most.

I can add no more to this discussion. You are doing things super legit. Pat yourself on the back. :D

..so you motivated me to work on my tank a bit. thank you. a free bump for you. plus I forgot to mention that your rockscape looks great!

so after about 3 hours this is what i came up with. I dunno how people get all the plumbing into the drawings so i just used some 1.5" cylinders. Feel free to help me figure out how to make the drawing better :)

vincetank1.jpg

the overflow will be a Bean Animal. It will be hidden in the storage "tower" of the stand and the water will overflow via a 1.5cm cutout in the left wall at the top. So no ugly overflow boxes in this tank.

I have two 425gph nano pumps but want an MP40 now. originally my tank was supposed to be a 23 long. its evolved into this beast now! Gonna be $600 further into it then initially budgeted. Hopefully the boss is ok with some OT in the next few months.

what program are you using here...thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Youve got one of the nicest scapes Ive seen! I am truly inspired by it and will have to look into that type of rock the next one I do. What type again?

So, whens this thing gonna get filled in?

phi delt reefer

well i am supposed to be unemployed right now but i got a small job extension so until that is resolved i am only keeping up on maintanence vs. upgrades/new stock.

i have quite a few frags though, about 7 SPS and 2 lps some zoas. I have two more zoa frags, a meteor shower thingy and a merlina frag coming into the tank next week. Also 8 sps designer frags that i am doing a grow on with along another local reefer. After that - i just have to let it grow. I have ten fish/shrimp in there as well so its just a waiting game now. This is what happens when you buy ten dollar frags... you do a lot of waiting :D

phi delt reefer

ATI Fan upgrade completed...

step 1 - design the upgrade - designed a shroud to hold two quieter fans that pushed more air;

fanmockupdual.jpg

step 2 - cnc the piece - 6061 aluminum block. Notice the bevel...

P1010076.jpg

P1010077.jpg

P1010070.jpg

step 3 - spice it up... my buddy milled out part of the plastic fan casing so the fan would blades would sit flush with the adapter bevel. Subtle touch but it looks awesome!

P1010079.jpg

Step 4 - hack the shroud - we cut the openings bigger. Going from 60mm units to 92mm units.

old fan; P1010069.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010073.jpg

P1010074.jpg

P1010075.jpg

Step 5 - drill and tap holes... secure the adapter

P1010081.jpg

DONE!

P1010086.jpg

P1010084.jpg

P1010099.jpg

soooo....how quiet is it? Its not silent but thats because the back pressure from the air hitting the aluminium sub frame. Its loads quieter than it was before - anyone who says the fans in the ATI units are quiet is a liar - they need to hear my modded unit to understand what quiet is.

Cabinet fans are now annoying though. So those will be swaped out with a couple noctua 120mm units. After that - the only thing making noise will be the damn vortech and the air intake on my skimmer.

special thanks to my CNC Guru Blob-79 for hooking me up huge on this project.

NIce milling work! Looks like a work of art! Did the fans have to be orthepedic shoe brown? lol who cares, im sure the noise reduction is worth any tradeoffs that might be there. Dontcha just hate going through all the troubles of making the systems quiet only to have the vortechs noise amplified? I went through the same thing. Where my old NC's hood fans were so loud they drowned out the sound of the mp10 but on the new setup with everything being so quiet, that stupid thing is all I hear! I sure hope they come up with a solution to that longterm in the next few updates to the design. I suspect they have a significant investment in the current design and would have to go back to square one in order to make that happen. Plus, we all gripe about it but still continue to buy them in droves, so not much incentive I guess...

Hope things stabilize on the job front for you, watchin frags grown isnt the worst thing in the world!

Archived