Coral Vue Hydros

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

Tako, I got the food from the naming contest IIRC it's the B size and C size. You get one pack for the name suggestion and another for filling the short survey at the bottom. I went back and did it again a few weeks ago low and behold I get another food pack in the mail.

Just to confirm, I got a sample of B1 and C2. Not sure if they're giving out a random variety or just these 2 though.

p.s. where'd you buy that maxi mini yosh?

EDIT: I have a sample of B1 C1 and C2 from the contest so Reed Mariculture is send out random assorted sizes. ;)

Edited by tam

I got both the mini-mini and maxi-mini at my LFS, Atlantis Aquarium :)

In fact the maxi decided it would move (for the 1st time) straight up, staying in that front corner but now it's in the upper part rather than in the sand

Random update: the halimeda didn't like the move but parts of it seem to be recovering. Before the move it was growing fast so I hope it will recover quickly too, and survive the 2nd move :)

Pics are on the other computer, so I'll upload those later

Now I'll go take some new pics that I'll post soon

Oh, I think I'm going to put in an order with reefcleaners today too omgomgomg

Order from ReefCleaners:

• 1 Penny Macro Algae

• Short Codium

• Fauchea (hopefully it will be in my order tako haha)

• Laurencia

• Mermaid's Fan

• Sargassum

• Dwarf Ceriths

I think that's it :happy:

New pics :)

DSC05990.jpg

DSC06013.jpg

well the feather duster seems happy at least

DSC06017.jpg

A peek of my 3g with this tank

DSC06001.jpg

DSC06011.jpg

New FTS, the GHA looks really ugly here :(

I hope to clean up this tank a bit more over the weekend (you can't even see the c. prolifera!)

captainbastard

I had A LOT of gha in my tank after adding my new rocks. I had to remove and scrub them to get it all off. Now Im dosing tech M to see if that will get rid of the last little bit. I dont know if it will harm macro though

I had A LOT of gha in my tank after adding my new rocks. I had to remove and scrub them to get it all off. Now Im dosing tech M to see if that will get rid of the last little bit. I dont know if it will harm macro though

I think the main reason is I dump a lot of nutrients in this tank, and I don't have a CUC or anything that eats algae to clean up

I thought the high mag trick only worked with bryposis(sp?)? Yeah, idk how that would affect the other macros, I wouldn't want to take the risk unless I got more info

I think the tank still looks nice. Good luck this weekend.

Thanks :) Actually it might have a few more days before moving again, I hope that helps the tank inhabitants

Why don't you take a scrub brush to the rocks next time you move the tank?

Actually I wanted to do that this first move, I just didn't have time.

I think I'm going to take out one of the rocks since it doesn't have any coral, macro or sponges attached, let hermits crabs in a diff tank have a feast, then put it back in :lol:

I'm planning to do some more manual removal too.

Oh and I'm also going to add more macros soon, so hopefully that will help :)

Ever see those micro torches that use a standard butane lighter?

38111.jpg

They are easy to use, inexpensive, and produce a fairly precise flame.

Ever see those micro torches that use a standard butane lighter?

38111.jpg

They are easy to use, inexpensive, and produce a fairly precise flame.

Oooh looks cool

Too bad I have a feeling my parents wouldn't approve :lol:

You might also look into hydrogen peroxide to help fight the hair algae. I haven't researched it that much, but it looks promising. I'm guessing that you would have to be careful not to treat any desirable algae.

Yeah, I've read a few threads in the past about using it to rid zoas of algae. However I think it seems like an extreme "band-aid" for the problem.

I've actually been thinking about taking all the macros out, putting them in a container in the tank, then let loose some hermit crabs & snails :lol: The only thing I'd lose would be some macros growing on the rocks

I've actually been thinking about taking all the macros out, putting them in a container in the tank, then let loose some hermit crabs & snails :lol: The only thing I'd lose would be some macros growing on the rocks

Why don't you just add some permanently? The only macros I saw my snails (the ceriths) bother were the sargassum and scroll algae, but I think that's because the algae was already unhealthy. My one trochus snail ate some hair algae when I had a little in my biocube, but my blue-leg hermit did a much better job. My hermit seems to ignore the macros altogether. It prefers the rocks and sand. It might be a different story with larger hermits, but I still plan on getting a couple more because they're fun to watch.

Why don't you just add some permanently? The only macros I saw my snails (the ceriths) bother were the sargassum and scroll algae, but I think that's because the algae was already unhealthy. My one trochus snail ate some hair algae when I had a little in my biocube, but my blue-leg hermit did a much better job. My hermit seems to ignore the macros altogether. It prefers the rocks and sand. It might be a different story with larger hermits, but I still plan on getting a couple more because they're fun to watch.

I've seen others with hermits or snails in their macro tanks, but some have reported them munching on their macros :(

I am adding ceriths soon (reefcleaners order) maybe I'll try a red-leg hermit and watch it like a hawk

it's looking really good yosh ^_^

Thanks Anna :happy:

I ended up doing some cleaning tonight, the water's all cloudy now, but the tank looks much better now!

I picked up any lose little rubble and such off the sand, moved some macros around, picked out some GHA, then took a toothbrush and brushed off the rest of the hair algae on most of the rock.

I ended up doing some cleaning tonight, the water's all cloudy now, but the tank looks much better now!

I picked up any lose little rubble and such off the sand, moved some macros around, picked out some GHA, then took a toothbrush and brushed off the rest of the hair algae on most of the rock.

nice. bet your arm is all pruny from that :P

nice. bet your arm is all pruny from that :P

Actually I don't think it did :P It didn't take too long

Here's a phone pic (water is still kinda cloudy)

FTS5-29-11.jpg

A quick shot of the bleached maxi, it moved again, to the side of the tank

maximinihiding.jpg

Ooooooh and I got this amazing book today at Half Price Books! :happy:

86cbacc34854__1306730358000.jpg

I love it! It has a good section on macros, not just the "stick some macro algae in your tank/sump/fuge to help with nutrient uptake blah blah" in other reefing books. And of course it covers inverts too, great info on sponges, shrimps, crabs, nudis, mollusks, stars, urchins, etc! :wub: :wub: :wub: Macros and inverts are awesome :happy:

Edited by yoshii