ReefCleaners.org

20xL mixed rimless - SELLING?

d9hp

I just read through the vast majority of your thread and Im very impressed. Your skills with the electrical and programming work on this tank show. Everything looks happy and healthy. Great job and a beautiful tank. Hats off to you sir.

Thank you for such kind remarks! I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately it looks like I am going to be moving in January after all. I am already dreading what I am going to do with the aquarium!! I want to keep everything but I am also very afraid that the system would 'crash' to some extent with such a substantial move. If anyone locally is interested in taking all the livestock, or the entire system at a fair price just shoot me a PM and we can discuss it further.

I believe I'll end up adding a sump during the move for this tank and a different skimmer. I would really hate to start over but I fear losing my coral to stress more. Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how far is the move?

Only about 30 minutes but my concern is that if I move the tank at all I want to incorporate the sump, which will require me to drill the actual aquarium.

My only other thoughts were to setup my 40B at the new house with about 30gallons of fresh water (matched, obviously) and move all the inhabitants to that tank early in the morning (like 7AM). Then go back to the current house and tear down all the hardware, clean everything that needs to be re-used, replace the heater, etc. Drill the tank and set everything back up...hopefully have it all done in a day. Also, I'd have to keep a LOT of fish in that 40B because I also have my 75g tank. I still don't have the details on the move yet and I am not sure how long I will have the overlap in houses, if at all.

well...

If you could pick up a new 20L, drill it, get the sump set up, run the wet test. when you get the keys to your new place, move the tank and sump in there

when you move the tank, keep as much water as you can, make about 10 gallons of new water and transfer

I've moved my 20l 4 times ... 4 TIMES... it really is a PITA but some times 10 mins away, sometimes an hour away. If you take your time and have a very solid plan of attack you should be ok

edit...As for the fish in the 75 I would set up a larger rubbermaid tub with a heater and a powerhead and keep the lid on, to much light and transfer will add even more stress to the fish, until you get the 75 set up

well...

If you could pick up a new 20L, drill it, get the sump set up, run the wet test. when you get the keys to your new place, move the tank and sump in there

when you move the tank, keep as much water as you can, make about 10 gallons of new water and transfer

I've moved my 20l 4 times ... 4 TIMES... it really is a PITA but some times 10 mins away, sometimes an hour away. If you take your time and have a very solid plan of attack you should be ok

edit...As for the fish in the 75 I would set up a larger rubbermaid tub with a heater and a powerhead and keep the lid on, to much light and transfer will add even more stress to the fish, until you get the 75 set up

Yeah I would do just that but my tank is a custom rimless tank...so I can't just get a new setup ready to rock beforehand.

I think I'll sell a few of the non-paired fish in the 75g and then I could keep them all in the 40B with everything until I had time to fix the 20L. I could use that money for a nice new skimmer and maybe an MP10. We'll have to see what I end up going with I just really hate the idea of losing ANYTHING!

Thanks for the input

• 1 month later...

I am still waiting to move. I sold all of the fish out of my FOWLR to locals. The clownfish and hawkfish pair went to Doni at Doni's Reef. Hopefully she can work some magic!

Here's the last picture I have

**I know that's a PBT in a 75g, he was rescued from a 40B here in town and kept for about 4 months before being shipped off. He was the first to be selected because he was huge, immaculate, and I will always regret getting rid of him**

1-DSC_0062.JPG

The reef still lives! I finally finished graduate school in December and now I'm working like a dog...but all good things and I will certainly share the product with everyone here as soon as we are ready to go national. It's not aquarium related but it's still pretty cool.

Anyways, I feed too much because I love my fish and I only have been changing the water bi-weekly so that's the cause of some cyano. I also forgot to clean the glass...sorry!

1-DSC_0068.JPG

1-DSC_0073.JPG

1-DSC_0081.JPG

1-DSC_0085.JPG

Great growth on this monti too:

1-DSC_0091.JPG

1-DSC_0099.JPG

Still favorite:

1-DSC_0104.JPG

Again, should have cleaned the glass!!

1-DSC_0120.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates?

Read the TOTM a few times (CONGRATS BTW) are you still doing small water changes throughout the week or are you dosing anything now?

Looks good dude!

Thanks man, your nem is doing really well! It's got brilliant color.

Wow look at all that growth!!!Looks awesome as usual D! The 75 is coming along very nice as well.

Thanks E. I really appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately the 75g is now sitting stagnant. The rocks, sand, and CUC are still in there kicking but I sold all the fish as well as the MP40.

In HIGHLY RELATED news. I'm now engaged. Lauren and I are looking to move in the next few weeks and this tank will be set back up again as a very low overhead tank. I'm scrapping all the equipment except heaters and doing a closed loop with the overflow box. It will house a single medium bodied lionfish and that's it. Just lots of macro algaes and a lion!

The reef will remain in tact. A big reason I did the tear down was travel with work (graduated in December!) and moving will be much less of a hassle with just one tank to really have to worry about.

Looks great. So much life.

Thanks nib...much appreciated. Thanks for swinging through!

Love your tank, dude.

Amazing to look at all the life! :)

Thank you very much. It's a real pleasure to watch.

Any updates?

Read the TOTM a few times (CONGRATS BTW) are you still doing small water changes throughout the week or are you dosing anything now?

Thanks Jay.

I do still do small water changes. I change about 10 gallons total over the course of a week now. I'll just do a 1g pitcher every other hour or so on Saturday and then again on Wednesday while I have some time. The tank loves it.

I dose nothing. I only feed and do water changes with Reef Crystals.

Amazing tank!!!!!!! :o

Thanks!

The tank is packed and looking good. I always love the matured tank. The growth is incredible.

Thank you very much. My SPS are exploding now and it's really wild to see them interact.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again everyone.

Once Lauren and I move I will plan on building a large aquarium in my office depending on where that office is. I'm having to push off my big plywood tank for a few years until we end up somewhere more permanent.

All still in my plan though!

• 3 months later...

Well things are still kicking along in the reef. The cyano is still pretty bad and I am afraid to really do anything major since all of the inhabitants are so happy and all the coral is still just exploding with growth.

Calcium is impossible to keep up with, so I don't.

Anyway, hope everyone here is doing well. Finishing school (read that as becoming a real person with a real job) really limits my time.

TB3s2.jpg

miniwhinny

WOW! Still looking so awesome! I truly can't wait until my tank fills out and looks mature like yours. You're not kidding when you say everything is healthy - sure looks it :) !

tundrashaul

Looking good D, I'm not really active on here anymore and it was a chance I saw this update.

I cant get a link right now but check out my 75 on richmond reef club. thread 75 gallon cornerflow. Username MJWilkes

Archived