SaltCritters.com

my new planted macro tank!

briansbelle

yay! pix :happydance:

I ended up pulling all racemosa and taxifolia from the tank since I def do not have the bio-load I had before and do not think I will again...so far I have 3x orange firefish 2x blue streaked cardinals and a barred goby....waiting for my Erectus seahorses.

edit- wow missed a lot of your posts :mellow:

I do not run a skimmer...it will suck out nutrients that the plants can use, I dose 2 capfuls of Reef Plus in my 40 gallon every other day.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6

In general in macro tanks you can have a few more fish than normal I believe.

I am astonished by clown gobies. I would not add another YCG. Add a different species.

Clown Gobies are so difficult. In the wild they live in huge groups. But in nanos they will kill each other.

I want to set up a 75 gallon tank with a huge colony of Acropora. In there I would put 15 GCG. I would get 5.5 gallons, 10 gallons, 20 gallons, and 30 gallons.

I need to experiment with clown gobies to get a bunch of good results.

Problem is where in the world will I get all that money I need :P

thanks AM,

i may look into adding a green banded goby...or possibly some other type of small goby...one that doesnt have a mouth big enough to eat my inverts...lol..

any ideas as to good goby's/small fish to add to the tank?, i dont need only gobies as long as they dont munch on my inverts or kill each other...lol

i posted updated pics on page one and an updated stocklist...

thanks!!!

maria,

i dont run a skimmer on my macro tank, just my 40 breeder...i dosed the reef plus in there and just turned the skimmer down for a few hours...i have blue ochtodes in my 40 breeder, it is everywhere! one little piece broke off and is now growing on my overflow...lol.... its also growing on my moai head, he has a beard now...lmao!!!

i need to get in there tomorrow when i do a water change and pull out as much as i can and toss it in my macro tank, dont mind it growing wild in there...lol...

i am going to use tweezers, and a net to catch as much as possible...lol

thanks am....

i think everything is coming along nicely...both crabs have molted and are filtering all the time, and neither of them hide at all..one hangs on the sand,, the other by the filter intake...lol

the pom pom on the other hand, hides alot...

my little shrimp has molted too, hes a little bigger and came in with all the legs on his right side gone and has since molted and now has all of his legs!

the clown goby doesnt seem to want to eat the food i feed, the firefish goes nuts for it...maybe the clown goby will come around once hes used to the food i feed...but there are tons of pods in the tank for him to munch on, i see them all over the glass all day...

will post up pics again soon, gonna do a waterchange soon and try to rearrange a bit, the k1 and the filter both running are blowing my macros loose so i gotta attach them better...lol

thanks AM...

hopefully i can get a good pic of that huge asterina starfish..its so big i can see the fuzz on it...lol...

i will get some pics up as soon as my other livestock comes in...yay!!! more poop!!!! LOL!!

bout the size of a nickle...its huge..i have never seen one this big...i have them in this tank and my 40 breeder and have tons of zoas and have never seen them eating my zoas...

yeah when i saw it i was like "hoooolllllyyy sh!!!!!ttttt" omgomgomg:haha: and my husband was like "what?!?!?" and i said, "i think i have the godzilla of astrerina starfish in my tank" LMAO!!!

gonna see if i cant snap a pic...lol

Still havent seen that damn starfish but as soon as i do im gonna get a pic.

New inverts will be here tomorrow, cant wait!

Now my little shrimp buddy will have some playmates.

And i will have some snails to clean my sandbed lol!

Cant wait to see 6 of those little sexies runnin around, its hard to keep track of only one lol!

Inverts are in, acclimated for an hour. Did a small water change and cleaned up a bit. There were alot of random pieces of algae everywhere that had broken off.

Finally got a pic of the super starfish, legs and all its the size of a nickle atleast, its huge and fuzzy lol!

Will upload pics later on, off to finish laundry and clean the housr yay! Lmao!

Sorry guys , havent posted pics yet. Been really hectic around here. Got 2 cars that have to go in the shop, and my youngest starts kindergarten tomorrow. I will post up new pics tomorrow while i am kid free!!! Yay!!

thanks!

ok so i am having a little issue with flatworms in this tank. there arent a bunch but i do see them from time to time, none on the algaes or corals but moslty in the sand and rocks.... they are a brownish red color, and are teeny....

what i am wondering is if there is a fish that will help keep them in check and not hurt any of my inverts.

my current stocklist is:

firefish

yellow clown goby

2 porcelain crabs

6 sexy shrimp

pom pom crab

snails

emerald crab

was thinking of something like a small wrasse, a possum wrasse? would he eat them? i know in my 40 my 6 line eats them b/c i had them in there too and now i dont see any at all ever.

but i think a 6 line would eat my sexies and freak out my mellow gobies.

thanks!!

oh and i will get pics up today,promise! :)

Ok so im going to get a mandarin, i know im not supposed to keep one in a tank as new and small as mine but i am willing to add pods weekly and try to train him on rods food. I was reading online and seems mandarins will eat flatworms.

. If i notice he is not doing good or looks sickly i will give him to my friend who has a 150 gallon tank.

Will a mandarin be ok with my inverts?

My buddy feeds his blackworms. Tank is looking nice Belle.

My buddy has a wide variety of inverts and his mandarin is fine.The mandarin loves the YWG.LOL

thanks brad!!! i can get live blackworms and live brine dirt cheap...from connections made while being a cichlid breeder :)

i am going to try everything in my power to keep the little guy happy, and lets just say i have been known to spoil my fish...lol...every fish in my 40 breeder is kinda in shape-"round is a shape" LOL!!

will the mandarin be ok with a firefish and a yellow clown goby? i wouldnt see how the mandarin would bother either of them but just want to make sure...

i am also going to be moving a few more rocks from my 40 over to the 20 long,a rock with about 10+ zoa frags on it and another rock with some goochsters on it over.

just to give the tank a little more color....

pics to come, after the move around :)

Archived