Innovative Marine Aquariums

マングローブラグーン

Giga

Great idea for a tank!

Have you considered fabricating artificial mangrove roots from PVC pipe? If you need some thick and sturdy roots until your mangroves grow in, they are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing if you are willing to be a bit of an artist.

I actually tried this and the roots looked good but not so much in the tank

I remember reading some thread (I think it was a poll about whether people have covers or not) and someone mentioned they had a rimless acrylic tank, but they had a cover just a few inches around the edges. Seems like an interesting idea, not too sure how it would look in person though.

I've been planning a tank (admittedly inspired by your idea, I should add) but I decided to keep the mangroves in an uncovered fuge immediately to the side of the DT specifically so I can keep a cover on the DT to avoid jumpers. It'll be ugly, but I plan to only keep it on the tank when I'm away at work or class. That way I can be there to rescue any carpet surfers when the cover is off (and while the tank is pretty) but won't have to worry about it while I'm away (nor will I have to worry about looks, since I won't be there to stare at the ugly screen!) What I believe you're aiming at in your tank is to have the left side be completely covered in mangroves, so when they mature their branches/trunks would form a natural screen, right? So you could just have a removable/temporary screen on the other half of the tank.

I originally had the two island idea and that they way I built the tank, and yes I was going to have the left island have a mangrove canopy. Now that I have the tank up and running I'm not sure I like the two islands. I'm thinking of having one island in the center and have the overflow hidden so it looks like a true ADA. I think when I change the sand bed i'm do this. I don't think I'll ever you a screen cover I just plain don't like it

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I finally got around to testing my camera on my phone-I was impressed

imag0029f.jpg

imag0030a.jpg

imag0033lr.jpg

starfishi.jpg

Non reef related-told my dog to get a stick and he brought a small tree back

imag0045q.jpg

He also loves to hunt crabs so anytime where go for a walk he has to stop by the water

imag0049e.jpg

imag0050p.jpg

I guess the htc incredible really is incredible-this being my first smart phone, it feels like i've been living in the stone ages :mellow:

this might be out of the question... but have you thought of one main island... like what you are planning on doing, but also have some smaller islands around it? I don't know how that would look in your tank or even it would look right proportionally.

Non reef related-told my dog to get a stick and he brought a small tree back

imag0045q.jpg

I guess the htc incredible really is incredible-this being my first smart phone, it feels like i've been living in the stone ages :mellow:

that's not a dog, it's a Shetland pony, so can you really blame puppy for finding a size-appropriate toy :happy::P ? j/k :happy:

i know what you mean about the phone. i've got a simple flip, and i'm amazed at what my friends can pull off with their's :lol:

this might be out of the question... but have you thought of one main island... like what you are planning on doing, but also have some smaller islands around it? I don't know how that would look in your tank or even it would look right proportionally.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing I might have a small island with a anenome or something small

Man I like your tank but I love your dog.

Can't wait to see this thing progress some more.

Sorry about the fish. I don't read Japanese nor did I translate it but I'm assuming that's what all that meant.

Looking forward to updates.

that's not a dog, it's a Shetland pony, so can you really blame puppy for finding a size-appropriate toy :happy::P ? j/k :happy:

Man I like your tank but I love your dog.

here's a couple more pics from that day

nov82010014.jpg

nov82010097.jpg

nov82010031.jpg

Nice!

I like that brittle star. Hitchhiker?

yeah I have like 20 of them-and this guys always come out at night and he about 1" across

nothing really to talk about but things seem to be growing

This guys color is coming back and the tips are growing!

new004b.jpg

Black mangrove growth-it's strange because one of the seeds it growing like crazy-then the one in the back hasn't even stood up yet

new006.jpg

Reds seem to be growing rather quick-this is 5 days worth!!

new011.jpg

added this guys and a porcelain crab but I couldn't get a good shot of the porcelain

new013a.jpg

I seem to have a diatom bloom

new015.jpg

I also ordered some new parts for my new lighting for when I change the aqua scape- I think I'm gonna wait till after the holidays to make the huge change. By that time the blacks will be old enough to withstand a root prune/transplant. On another note I think I found a flat worm :huh: I guess I'll get a six line to curb this before it gets out of hand. It's not a malicious species but still I hate those guys :lol:

Got around to this today

imag0060b.jpg

imag0061c.jpg

4$ frag I'll take it :lol:

imag0063t.jpg

Fuzzy and brown as ever

imag0064r.jpg

Roots roots and more roots

imag0065e.jpg

Cool shots

imag00665495321.jpg

imag0067vn.jpg

imag0068lr.jpg

While I was walking my dog I found these guys no idea what anemone they are but cool no the less

imag0059hv.jpg

Glad things are working out for you, Giga! Your mangroves make me envious as my three went into shock when I moved them between my tanks. Not like they have any light to grow with now anyways...

Doesn't seem to be a huge interest in my tank these days but I'd thought I'd update. Did a 5 gallon water change and rearranged the rock work a bit.Didn't clean the glass though :P

roots?

dscn47410.jpg

Black growth

dscn4737j.jpg

In case you didn't believe, mangrove export salt through their leaves and other pores

dscn47380.jpg

The left island that I'm never quite happy with. I gonna have to let it grow for like 6 month then rearrange everything and make something more natural

dscn47580.jpg

I LOVE my right island-it doesn't look that awesome in the pic but in person it's very ADA. Right now I only have two corals, my slimmer and a zoa frag, but imagine this covered with coral?!

dscn4749w.jpg

I also got bored of just having 1 fish so I picked up 5 4 bar damsels-Yep damsels. The reason why these guys, is because if you every look at nature vid you always see a group of these guys using sps stags as shelter. And what do you know as soon as I put these guys in the tank the sps became there home. It is so cool to watch them school in and out of the stag. The really funny thing is that my blue eye keep them in line and will school with them on occasion.

dscn4755.jpg

lastly-ugly FTS

dscn47460.jpg

Archived