Cultivated Reef

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who cares if the glue isn't all dry!

It works :D

Yaay! I need to mess with the glad container thing a little, but other than that, I love it :)

I mixed up 2 gallons of SW yesterday. Today I poured it in the container, plugged in my pump, and viola! Filter/fuge thing :)

Fuge: 2gallons

Total system: 5 gallons! Yay for more stability!

Right now I have a bag of 5lbs of beach sand, but I want more(to put in the fuge) for a kinda-DSB just maybe 3-4"? Not sure yet, I have plenty of sand, so I can just add more if it's not enough.

Originally I thought of putting a light over the top, but now I'm leaning more towards through the side of the container..

I'll move most of the macros from the display into the fuge, and get some random rock rubble from my other tanks. Also, I'll but putting a couple pieces of eggcrate in there, why? Because I have found that pods love eggcrate :)

I still need to find a cover for the fuge and the tank though :(

Anyways, enough blah blah, here's some pics!

DIYFuge.jpg

DIYFugeCarbonRunning.jpg

DIYFugePump.jpg

^Mini 606 pumping water to the fuge

DIYFugeSideShot.jpg

Side Shot

DIYFugeSandinBag.jpg

5lbs dry weight, some of the sand I'm going to use

Also, I'm leaving in a couple minutes to pick up 2 corals, one of which (pulsing xenia) will go in this tank.

(Not right now of course, but in the future)

Great job!

Yeah, cutting the holes in my own Food Storage Container Refugium was a real pain in the patootie, I know exactly what you mean.

I would strongly recommend caution and more research on doing a DSB as well.

I personally am using a 1" bed of Mud in the bottom of my Fuge, and it's been working great.

It's only been up a couple of months and I can alrdy see different layers or "strata" in the Mud bed, and it has really helped to intensify the coloration on my Electric Blue Scrolling Macro called Distromia.

Nice corals :happy:

I love that Pulsing Xenia.

Thanks! Oh, btw, thanks to zoaid, I have found out that my "pastel palys" are actually a color morph of Lord of the Rings Palys! :happy:

Great job!

Yeah, cutting the holes in my own Food Storage Container Refugium was a real pain in the patootie, I know exactly what you mean.

I would strongly recommend caution and more research on doing a DSB as well.

I personally am using a 1" bed of Mud in the bottom of my Fuge, and it's been working great.

It's only been up a couple of months and I can alrdy see different layers or "strata" in the Mud bed, and it has really helped to intensify the coloration on my Electric Blue Scrolling Macro called Distromia.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go with the DSB, it's not really needed so much on such a small tank anyways.

I've read different reviews about mud, I'll do some more research :)

animalmaster6
Thanks! Oh, btw, thanks to zoaid, I have found out that my "pastel palys" are actually a color morph of Lord of the Rings Palys! :happy:

No Prob! ;)

In thought that thread would help people :happydance:

No Prob! ;)

In thought that thread would help people :happydance:

Lol it's kinda funny cause I don't like the actual Lord of the Rings Paly at all XD

Update:

Yay! My dad was able to drop off the sand I forgot yesterday, it'll be going in the tank today!

And my green hairy mushroom frag decided to go hide in a cave <_< I might have to glue him down, although I've heard they don't like that..

Paly isn't open yet, GSP is open, xenia looks kinda annoyed, but it's sorta half-open lol

Pics coming soon!

Also! Lighting update!

Right now I have a mess of different lights over the tank lol, I want to have 1 lighting fixture!

I would love T5s, but they're all too big :tears: So it looks like I'm going to have to go with PCs

Either this fixture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/13-Power-Compact-Nano-...9#ht_1728wt_802

Or this fixture:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_in...roducts_id=1571

They end up being around the same price (with shipping) although CA's is a little bit more.

I don't want another cheap odyssea fixture. I'm really leaning towards CA's fixture.

But I'm still kinda on the search for a better one, but I'm on a really tight budget :(

Has anyone heard of a T5 fixture/retro kit that is around 12"?

animalmaster6
And my green hairy mushroom frag decided to go hide in a cave <_< I might have to glue him down, although I've heard they don't like that..

Take a small rubbermaid tub and put some of your tank water in it. Place some rubble in it with the mushroom. It'll attach to that :)

Take a small rubbermaid tub and put some of your tank water in it. Place some rubble in it with the mushroom. It'll attach to that :)

Lol it was attached to some CC from my other tank, so I used a rubberband to hold down the CC (being careful not to crush the shroom) but it un-attatched <_< Oh well, I have more :P

animalmaster6

That stinks. :P

I had a Purple Mushroom colony completely die and motnsh later I found a Purple Mushroom scross the tank in a little crevice :lol:

That stinks. :P

I had a Purple Mushroom colony completely die and motnsh later I found a Purple Mushroom scross the tank in a little crevice :lol:

Lol I've had that happen too!

Oh btw, next week, a very nice user(on a diff forum) is sending me some Kenya Tree :D For free!

Yaaay so it'll go in this tank, to fill up that empty space :)

Nice! Kenya Trees are real cool :D

:D She says she has so much that she throws it to her urchin in the sump and says her tank has become a Kenya Tree garden Lol xD

As much as Kenya Trees sting the heck out of things that tank sounds pretty cool!

Lol it does look kinda cool haha but I hope I don't have that problem lol

animalmaster6

Me too haha. I'm having a few leathers like that including Colts, Neptheas, and Kenya Trees in the 125g.

I'm isolating so that's good though lol.

Me too haha. I'm having a few leathers like that including Colts, Neptheas, and Kenya Trees in the 125g.

I'm isolating so that's good though lol.

The neon green neptheas are awesome :D

(so jealous of your 125)

They are sweet!

haha thanks.

It's not ready yet unfortunetly :P

My LFS has a nice huge colony.. I'll ask for a frag later :P

That doesn't matter lol, you're a teen reefer with a tank that big! How did you afford that anyways??

animalmaster6

haha Nice. I'm trying to figure out how to frag leathers. One of the last corals I can't figure out.

Well me and my dad are doing the tank. We got the actual tank for free. My dad paid for all the equipment, food, stuff like that. I paid for the frag tank. It was on sale :P

I'm paying for most of the livestock theough my propogation :D (Hint hint. Easy and very fun way to make money to support coral addicition.)

haha Nice. I'm trying to figure out how to frag leathers. One of the last corals I can't figure out.

Well me and my dad are doing the tank. We got the actual tank for free. My dad paid for all the equipment, food, stuff like that. I paid for the frag tank. It was on sale :P

I'm paying for most of the livestock theough my propogation :D (Hint hint. Easy and very fun way to make money to support coral addicition.)

Lol I just cut them with a razor blade lol then rubberband them to a rock.

I wish my parents paid for my tank stuff! My dad does pay for salt and some food though :)

Lol, whenever I frag I just say to myself "hmm this would look good in my other tank, I can just frag and sell some other coral.."

animalmaster6

Hmm I might try that. Thanks!!

My dad likes the hobby a lot too :happydance:

haha I would sell some stuff then buy more frags. That's my plan :)

Hmm I might try that. Thanks!!

My dad likes the hobby a lot too :happydance:

haha I would sell some stuff then buy more frags. That's my plan :)

No prob :)

My dad is ok with it I guess, he feeds the fish when I'm gone and endures my "fish talks" hahahaha

I can't part with any of my coral lol. except for one of my ugly montis (that my goby is destorying)

animalmaster6

I would never sell a whole coral. Never!

I would have to keep part of it haha. Plus I wouldn't sell to people who have no clue what they're talking about lol.

Archived