SaltCritters.com

AJ_Tsin's Custom 13.5G Studio Rimless Reef **Nano Contest**

AJ_Tsin

i'm so excited about the white overflow. i hope you start a trend for more white aquarium equipment. i have sometimes been tempted to paint that wet side casing of my vortech white, but i figure the paint might scratch off when i clean it. and you'd still see all the black parts underneath.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will it need screen attached to the eggcrate?

Nope the Eggcrate can be removed and is only there to prevent fish from jumping in.

i'm so excited about the white overflow. i hope you start a trend for more white aquarium equipment. i have sometimes been tempted to paint that wet side casing of my vortech white, but i figure the paint might scratch off when i clean it. and you'd still see all the black parts underneath.

As am I. The white is going to look awesome and unique. Paint it white! Lets start the trend.

dude i can get you some white locline

Wow. That would be incredible!... its 3/4 Locline I would need a 3/4" male piece 3 midsection pieces and the output nozzle. PM me?

Cheers... Headed to Home Hardware right now to get the final pieces for this puppy. It will be filled soon..

markandstaci

I think white looks really nice in an aquarium. I have the back of my 5.5 AGA painted white and I feel like it really makes the tank a lot brighter and feel a lot bigger than a black background does (I had a black background on my previous tank). Of course all my equipment is still black so it sticks out like a sore thumb, but it looks like you aren't going to have that problem!

Captivating_Reef

Hey AJ did you get the glass tempered when you ordered it? I think I might try to build my own and got a quote for glass but they told me if it needs to be tempered its a huge jump in price. Also is it starphire that you got?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
this should be cool

Thanks Giga...

Hey AJ did you get the glass tempered when you ordered it? I think I might try to build my own and got a quote for glass but they told me if it needs to be tempered its a huge jump in price. Also is it starphire that you got?

I did not get tempered glass, and I did not go for starphire. I considered it, but my reef at home is starphire and I wasn't sure the price was worth it for a little 13.5 gallon cube at work.

any updates on this? it's gonna be such a cool tank B)

As for updates, I must apologize I have been absent and very busy for the summer months. I just opened a new studio/office etc. combined with vacation time I took a break from blogging/reef posts.

Now that Vacation season is over I am back on N-R this tank is going to come together.

Sooo without further waiting here are the updated photos which can be seen on the contest FTS thread as well...

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

Today I spray painted the rear glass white...

IMG_1185.jpg

Also I finally received the Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 Mini Cone Skimmer which completed the equipment requirements. The order and Shipping on this guy took the better part of the last two months. I think this is one of the first models of this skimmer to ship to Canada... Time to finally fill this thing!

P.S. Glad to be back on N-R a ton of updates to come over the Fall/Winter...

Today I spray painted the rear glass white...

IMG_1185.jpg

any special reason why you painted it white? i'm not sure i've ever seen one that color ;)

Glad to see you back AJ! ;)

That skimmer is awesome!

Thanks,

Glad to be back!

any special reason why you painted it white? i'm not sure i've ever seen one that color ;)

I wanted to try something new. I haven't seen one white either, I went with a white overflow and a white trim to tie the whole thing together. I think it looks awesome now... I am having a light hanger welded as we speak which will be brushed stainless steel. It is going to look great.

You can see what I mean about how nice the white looks.

IMG_1198.jpg

awesome, i'm glad you're back. i was getting worried!

Haha thanks!

So onto the updates, the majority of the system was assembled today. Here are some pics of the newly built rimless all glass sump, the Magus Cone skimmer setup and external durso plumbing.

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

Thats coming along very nicely AJ

Thanks Rehype..

Means a lot coming from you.

PS. All of the new photos are taken on an iPhone 4

Thanks dude. The light mount is going to look awesome too

Ya for nova's! I love mine :wub:

I am going to build a mount for mine as well. I am interested to see what you are going to use.

I wanted to try something new. I haven't seen one white either, I went with a white overflow and a white trim to tie the whole thing together. I think it looks awesome now... I am having a light hanger welded as we speak which will be brushed stainless steel. It is going to look great.

You can see what I mean about how nice the white looks.

IMG_1198.jpg

it looks amazing! i don't think i ever would have thought of it, but it's a really cool idea. now i'm soo curious about how it'll look with rock and corals :P:)

white background

Yes it's white. Lol.

Ya for nova's! I love mine :wub:

I am going to build a mount for mine as well. I am interested to see what you are going to use.

I am going for an industrial minimalist look. You shall see.

hey bro I thought someone was going to send you some white lock line??? that would really complete the "white theme".

This is true. I may follow up on that. Also I am debating spraypainting the casing for my Current T5 fixture. Thoughts?

it looks amazing! i don't think i ever would have thought of it, but it's a really cool idea. now i'm soo curious about how it'll look with rock and corals :P:)

As am I. Thanks for the compliments all. This is a contest tank afterall so I hope to compete with the other great tanks out there.

Archived