Cultivated Reef

Down at Frag-gle Rock!

automatik_33

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda like the pillar look.

I would epoxy the rocks together so they were solid instead of balanced.

I would plan on leaving a little space behind the bottom rocks so the fish can swim through under the top rock.

OOO| top

OOO| top

OOO | Bottom

OOO | Bottom

Love my asci diagram..LOL

anyways something like that I was thinking would be cool and easy if you epoxy the rocks.. This would also give a little more ledge area for corals later.

Things are coming along well man.. Grats.

tundrashaul

looks good, +1 on epoxy, but keep in mind frags you may purchase later could be on a piece of rock so you may be limited as to what you buy. I see the theme in this scape :D

Nice, we got some water and rock on the tank. I like those three big brown rocks. I bett there going to be awsome and easy place to pu some coral.

latteslave

I like the scape - very unique... Leaves some interesting possibilities for corals.

You oughta add your tank to the 20L owners thread (link in my sig)

automatik_33

Thanks guys!

Still contemplating where and what corals to put in but I have plenty of time to decide while it cycles. LR and LS are from established systems but not too sure that the LR looks too safe. I will update with a pic of the piece in question.

Sorry for the bad quality pics but should be able to borrow or hopefully buy a digital camera now that the tank is up and I have a bit more cash on hand. :lol:

automatik_33

Not sure if you can tell from the pics but there are a couple of these on the top of the rock.

Not sure if you can tell from the pics but there are a couple of these on the top of the rock.

Those are dead fan work tubes i believe. The cool thing about them is they can be way down inside the rock and come back after cycle. I have quite a few tube works (mini fans) in my tank now and there was not even one tube showing when i got the rock. I kinda think they HH in from a coral I bought.

tundrashaul

everything looks awesome, how is the cycle coming along?........wish i had done glass baffles in my sump :unsure:

automatik_33
everything looks awesome, how is the cycle coming along?........wish i had done glass baffles in my sump :unsure:

Did some tests yesterday and nothing was really high but it still is in cycle mode. Just to make sure I'm probably going to wait it out a little while longer because of the dry rock.

Not sure what the big advantage or disadvantage of glass baffles may be but would definitely go that route again.

+1 to tubeworms... Are you seeing anything come out of them that looks like a feather?

Been working a lot lately but when I do get a chance to look in there don't see too much going on. Always checking to see if somethings is moving somewhere though. :P

Hey everything looks great. I'm no expert on id's, but it looks like some things I used to have on my tank. I was reaserching and investigating on what it could be. But I ended up seeing and everywhere I looked they were called hydroinds. ( yours look dead) any ways I had them for a while on a small frag of zoas. It never seemed that It was bothering the zoa but one day I just glued a piece a rock on top of them. I don't know if u seen my thread, I have a whole rock cover with mini feather dusters, and the ones u have don't look like how I have them. The hydroids look brown and look exactly like feather dusters but the tube is kind of really solid.... Hopefully though I'm wrong.

automatik_33

Been a week since I started up my tank. So here are some new pics. :D

FTS

FTS6-2-10.jpg

Left Side

LeftRockStructure6-2-10.jpg

Middle

MiddleRockStructure6-2-10.jpg

Right Side

RightRockStructure6-2-10.jpg

Sump

Sump6-2-10.jpg

automatik_33

Yeah the powerheads seemed to tend to move the sand bed like that. :happy: I've tried to even it back out but it always goes back to that.

All parameters have been in order for a while now just been real busy with work. Will be going to the lfs tomorrow though and picking up a cleaning crew and hopefully later on in the week pick up a frag or two.

Should I do a water change before adding the cuc?

It would not hurt to do a WC. If any algae in the tank is eating nitrates to keep them from registering on the tests This would help alleviate it.

automatik_33

Ok. Sweet! :happy:

Also how long should I wait after adding the cuc to add anything else to the tank? And any recommendations as to what has worked out from personal experience as far as cuc's go? Thinking just some astreas and hermits but not sure how many I would need.

tundrashaul

John sent me about 30 Dwarf ceriths, 3 nassarius, 3 hermits blue leg, and 5 nerites. at first it lookes like a ton of ceriths, but now they have spread out good. I did a 5 gallon WC one day after adding CUC, everything reads good.Do you have any hair algae?

automatik_33

Yeah its been growing a lot these last couple of days. I've been wanting to get something to help clean it up just been short on time. Will look into ordering from reefcleaners but also may go to the lfs which the one I want to go to is unfortunately closed till wednesday. So I will probably do a water change tomorrow night and test the water again on tuesday to just take some precautions.

automatik_33

A little late but my weekly updated pics. Including appearances from the "dozers" aka CUC.

Hermits playing "king of the mountain" :lol:

CUC6-9-10.jpg

Bumble Bee on break ;)

CUC26-9-10-1.jpg

Pepper :o

PeppermintShrimp6-9-10.jpg

Archived