Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fiction's 18g ADA

fiction101

The tank is still up and running. :D

P1020218.jpg

I've been battling flat worms, hair algae, bubble algae and brown slime algae. Everything is finally looking better, with the flatworms and algae gone.

P1020204.jpg

Dude WTF!!! :o You said you were taking it down?! I should kick you in the nuts. Well I'm really glad you hung in there cause it looks awesome. What kind of fish is that in the second pic?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tank is looking great! Sorry to hear about the algae infestation--glad you got through it and got rid of it.

What kind of light are you using now? I read you switched to 20K metal halides and your sps browned out. If you were using 150w, then that might have caused it. 20,000K lamps at 150 watts do not provide enough PAR. You must go with 14,000K or less (e.g., Phoenix 14K). Or just buy yourself a nice LED fixture as a Christmas present. :D

Yeah my sps browned out after I switched to a 20k bulb. Do you think the phoenix bulb will help with the coloration?

Dude WTF!!! :o You said you were taking it down?! I should kick you in the nuts. Well I'm really glad you hung in there cause it looks awesome. What kind of fish is that in the second pic?

haha, I backed out of selling everything. Although, if I come across another major set back with this tank, I'll most likely start over with a tank that has a sump. These sumpless tanks can be a major pain in the ass. :angry:

The fish you see in that photo is an arc eye hawk. I recently saw one that was almost entirely red. You can see mine is all grey. -_-

I really like these blue ring eagle eyes.

P1020224.jpg

Yeah my sps browned out after I switched to a 20k bulb. Do you think the phoenix bulb will help with the coloration?

Definitely, and I think you need to lower the fixture (gradually, of course). I read a few pages back that you had raised your T5 fixture to 30 inches above the sand bed. Did you keep that same height when switching to halides? If so, then your corals experienced a drastic decrease in PAR. Switching to a Phoenix lamp will increase the PAR your corals receive, but the biggest increase will come from the fixture being lowered. Halving the distance to the sandbed will increase the amount light at the sand bed by four times. (Inverse square law.)

haha, I backed out of selling everything. Although, if I come across another major set back with this tank, I'll most likely start over with a tank that has a sump. These sumpless tanks can be a major pain in the ass. :angry:

The fish you see in that photo is an arc eye hawk. I recently saw one that was almost entirely red. You can see mine is all grey. -_-

I really like these blue ring eagle eyes.

P1020224.jpg

I hear you on the sumpless part..Thats one of the main reasons i broke down the ada i just needed the flexibility and stability that a sump gives.

Archived